PTR91 furniture color variations?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PTR91 furniture color variations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR91 furniture color variations?

Is there a rhyme or reason to the color of PTR91 furniture color? I picked up a December 2017 production PTR91GI and the handguard and stock are tropical while the pistol grip and buttplate are OD. Does PTR just produce both colors and mix and match as they choose?

I’m not complaining and I like the look of mix and matched green, I’m just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The mixture of furniture color is typical in Bundeswehr service. It comes from the fact they use military surplus furniture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is a pic of some Panzergrenadiers from 2010.

PTR91 furniture color variations?-panzergrenadiere_neben_marder_1a3.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I picked up another GI last December and it also had the greatly mismatched furniture. My original GI from three years ago had matching OD furniture. I already had a set of black furniture ready to put on the new rifle, but had I not, I would have been rather annoyed.

E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I picked up another GI last December and it also had the greatly mismatched furniture. My original GI from three years ago had matching OD furniture.
    Just like the picture.....

One matching...one not matching, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I’m aware that mixed color furniture is the norm, I just wasn’t aware that PTR was using surplus furniture. That explains it. I was thinking it was all new production furniture and they were making different shades of green.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJazz View Post
    Yes I’m aware that mixed color furniture is the norm, I just wasn’t aware that PTR was using surplus furniture. That explains it. I was thinking it was all new production furniture and they were making different shades of green.
    I think they are using new old stock for the Alpine and the Olive drab. They must be getting low on the NOS furniture because I have never heard on one set up like that. That is pretty crappy that they sent you a rifle that the furniture was that drastically mismatched. I would not have been happy if it was me.

All of the green furniture has slight color variations within the same type. So there are different shades of Alpine and different shades of olive drab but typically all alpine furniture will be close enough to look good together on a rifle and the same thing is usually true for olive drab.

I have never bought any MKE olive drab furniture but over the years I have bought a lot of FMP, POF and German olive drab furniture and it was all close enough to look good together on the same rifle.

I also have a full set of Namibian olive drab furniture plus an extra forearm. I bought the forearm before I found the full set and I had it on my rifle with an NOS FMP butt stock and pistol grip. The forearm was a bit more grayish and has a slightly splotchy look but it still looked nice with the FMP furniture.
    Last edited by The_Great_308; 01-25-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
    Just like the picture.....

One matching...one not matching, LOL.
    No....not like the picture. The non-matching G3 in the photo looks at least remotely close in color. I would have been satisfied with that one.

E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Take a look at how current real german .mil G3s look like. Note the variations of stock OD color (changing one part at a time?), the welded case deflector, and the plastic pistol grip housing:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Take a look at how current real german .mil G3s look like. Note the variations of stock OD color (changing one part at a time?), the welded case deflector, and the plastic pistol grip housing:

Yep. It is from when the weapons go for maintenance they just reach into the pile of furniture and put whatever they grab on it. It does not effect the rifle one single bit and is authentic for a late service G3.

Obviously it bugs the crap out of some so buy a matching stock set of your choice and go on with life, LOL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links