PTR 9KT Review... So Far
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: PTR 9KT Review... So Far

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Default PTR 9KT Review... So Far

Just picked it up today at the local gun range. It came in a smaller box than the 9CT. Very nice and similar quality, if not identical in design and quality. Included two mags, sight tool, and bungee cord sling (for lack of a better term). While waiting on the guy to do the paperwork, I took it out and played with it. Initial visual inspection showed it to look really nice. Everything looked solid. The grip isn't nearly as ugly as many have made it out to be. The little bumps on each side are the only notable things I found to be different enough to care about. But still below the noise level for me so it's a "don't care".

The packing of the gun had one mag in the magwell and one in a cutout in the foam. So as I went to remove the mag from the gun, I noticed that the paddle had minimal mobility forward. About 1/4 of what I'm used to in other MP5 guns (HK94, SP5K, CA89, etc.). The mag well is very tight, but just figured that would be a "break in" thing. So I extracted the mag and inserted it numerous times. I eventually figured out that the catch was not actually holding the mag in. If the well was not so tight, it would have just been falling out, perhaps. Not sure, maybe the friction of the catch would at least keep it from a free-fall, but still wasn't retaining it.

We finished up the paperwork and I took it home, planning to try an HK mag and see if that worked any better. It seemed better, initially, but then I noticed that if I pulled the bottom end of the mag forward, it would come loose and I could pull it out of the gun. Not a happy camper at that moment.

So I figured I'd probably be sending it back to the mothership for service. But I wanted to know if it worked and if I'd be considering it a keeper when they fixed it...

I got out the sear pack and installed it in the supplied grip. It fit perfectly. I couldn't find my B&T stock so I used the Choate version from one of my K SBRs. It fit fine as well. And back to the range I went. They checked me in and I got started. I shot three mags through it in semi-auto and 2-5 round bursts, and then one sustained burst (about 10 rounds). I was gripping the mag and well with my forward hand and holding the mag rearward, to make sure it stayed locked in. The thing worked flawlessly. It seemed to have more kick to it than the full size, and also more so than the SP5K. I'll have to shoot them head-to-head sometime to make sure, since the smaller K size typically kicks a bit more anyway. The cycle rate also seemed faster. But I've mostly been shooting the 9CT lately so there's the whole speed difference between the sizes that is common across the platform anyway. So in a nutshell, the 9KT shot very well and "harder/faster" than the 9CT.

The welds on the 9KT are different than the SP5K. Some (not all) are convex (bulging a bit outward) on the 9KT, and a bit concave (sunken/curved inward) on the SP5K. They look great on both guns so I write that off as another "don't care".

Functionally speaking, magwell and catch aside, this thing feels and operates much like the 9CT, which is almost identical to the HK cousins. Very solid and very smooth. Pulling back the charging handle is very nice, just like the CT. It feels like it will make a good shooter, if I can get the mag catch working correctly.

After getting it home and inspecting it closer, it looks like the catch edge extends into the well a bit too short. Appears to be about 1/2 the depth of the SP5K. And the paddle tab (I have no idea what that is actually called) is holding it there. Almost like it is pushed laterally about 1mm too far from the side that it should be against. I could change out the primary parts for the mag catch, but if the nub of the paddle is the issue, that needs gunsmithing to fix.

I guess I'll be calling PTR tomorrow, when they are open, to get it fixed.

I'll take some photos later this evening to show everything I'm talking about. Just wanted to get this written down while it was fresh in my mind.

Pros:

Build quality is great
    Simple sear installation and operation
    Cycles smooth
    Shoots great in FA

Cons
    Mag Catch doesn't work

I guess we'll see how well PTR service takes care of "retrodog problems" on this one.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Oh, forgot to add...

The barrel is not clocked at 12:00 sharp. The top lug (of the tri-lug) is at around 11:30. Not a show stopper, but that will bug the hell out of anybody who is anal retentive about such things. Meaning it's not bugging me much right now, but might progress to a notable irritation eventually.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Man, I really hoped for better. I hope PTR is going the route of Century.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

(Thanks for the mini-review, you get to claim "first" on real user reviews I've seen on internet)
    Last edited by Lumbergh; 02-21-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    "Amat victoria curam"

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

BulkHead likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post

(Thanks for the mini-review, you get to claim "first" on real user reviews I've seen on internet)
    Not nearly as funny when the original post states pictures are on the way.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I went digging around in the box some more. The sling is extremely heavy duty. This is something that would cost extra money and you'd be proud of it, if you want a sling like this.

I found the little Ziploc bag with the tail cap rail and screws in it. Now that is a pretty darn neat feature. Very cool indeed.

As I said earlier, the Choate stock fit in there just fine and functioned just like any other MP5K.

The tail cap of the PTR (supplied with the 9KT) is pretty solid and has a fairly heavy duty blue colored buffer on it. I probably won't use it much, or at all, but it looks like a nice piece of equipment.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Man, I really hoped for better. I hope PTR is going the route of Century.
    As far as I can tell at this point, and I guess it's a bit premature, I'll be pretty happy with it if they get that mag catch straightened out. I think they did a really good job on it as a whole. Just some small stuff to straighten out. And I'll have to go try it out in its stock configuration to make this review useful for most intended owners. My "sear host only" intent isn't really applicable to most people.
    BulkHead likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

@retrodog :

Any issues with the crown? Pics are excellent, the crown pic was a little fuzzy.

The AR15 guy used a light from the bore to illuminate his pic.
    Last edited by Lumbergh; 02-21-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
    @retrodog :

Any issues with the crown? Pics are excellent, the crown pic was a little fuzzy.

The AR15 guy used a light from the bore to illuminate his pic.
    No. That wasn't intended as a picture of the crown. It was focused to show the clocking of the barrel. The crown looks fine. Well fine enough for me anyway. I just checked it again and it's good.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links