HKPRO Forums banner

Choosing an MP5SD clone

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  HkCHUCK 
#1 ·
I have been toying with the idea of a MP5SD (that or either an FN 50.63) and I see that there are a handful of companies that make MP5SD clones. Obviously numerous people say Dakota Tactical is the best, however I am curious are they worth the added cost over the cost of a company like TPM. For example I can get a TPM gun AND can for around $700 less than a DT firearm alone. Just what does DT do to warrant the price increase? Its not like we are talking actual HK products here so at the end of the day, no clone will command anywhere near the premium an actual HK product would bring. Who would you guys go with for an MP5SD build? And if it is DT just what do they do to justify their cost?

#3 ·
Why go with DT? I have the funds, but I just do not understand what the offer that makes up for the huge price difference. Now if there is an objective tangible difference in builds I will get a DT. But from just reading opinions on various builders I cant discern any reason to justify the price difference.

#6 ·
^^THIS^^. That guy who posted all over HKPro about an issue he had with TPM is a crankcase and if you read that thread you'll see what I mean.

TPM did my MP5SD build, to my specs. (get the welded rail unless you just have to have the classic look.) It's PERFECT. I liked it so much I immediately ponied up for one of the barreled receivers to stash away, ("two is one, one is none") even though it was $1K more than the Atlantic Firearms/Todd Bailey product, which has had issues. ("Why won't my suppressor fit?" LOL)

I can't even Imagine paying ANOTHER $1K over the TPM Price for DT (admittedly no familiarity) or anyone else. There's no need to.

#9 ·
I think TPM is the best choice for an SD. They recently built an MP5SD for me with some B&T parts I had been collecting and I couldn't be more impressed. They're right in my backyard and after dropping in on them and seeing the work they do, I was sold. I had a B&T SD suppressor for it initially but ended up selling it because the suppressor that TPM makes in house is quieter and easier to take down and clean. Between the knowledge that Matt and Ken have and the fantastic firearms they build, I think you'll be extremely happy with TPM.

#12 ·
Old thread bringing back to life. I recently bought and received a TPM MP5SD with the 8” silencer. When I removed it from the box I immediately noticed the paddle mag was not installed correctly and there’s no way a magazine could have ever locked in. That tells me that never tested it before leaving. I have several 9mm suppressors and I expected the 8” to be comparable to an omega 9k or at worst an obsidian 9 in short configuration. I was completely wrong. The 8” SD can is the loudest 9mm suppressor I have shot or heard. I honestly removed my suppressor thinking maybe I somehow received a Faux can. From talking to others who have this can and consider it quiet it leads me to believe there is something wrong here. With 124 grain ammo I am getting a supersonic crack. Which should not happen with any SD. Hopefully TPM will get this sorted out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.