Choosing an MP5SD clone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Choosing an MP5SD clone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Choosing an MP5SD clone

I have been toying with the idea of a MP5SD (that or either an FN 50.63) and I see that there are a handful of companies that make MP5SD clones. Obviously numerous people say Dakota Tactical is the best, however I am curious are they worth the added cost over the cost of a company like TPM. For example I can get a TPM gun AND can for around $700 less than a DT firearm alone. Just what does DT do to warrant the price increase? Its not like we are talking actual HK products here so at the end of the day, no clone will command anywhere near the premium an actual HK product would bring. Who would you guys go with for an MP5SD build? And if it is DT just what do they do to justify their cost?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Personally Id go DT if funds permitted, if not maybe check and see what PCS will charge to build one. That or get a HK94 and a parts kit(which is what I did).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    Personally Id go DT if funds permitted, if not maybe check and see what PCS will charge to build one. That or get a HK94 and a parts kit(which is what I did).
    Why go with DT? I have the funds, but I just do not understand what the offer that makes up for the huge price difference. Now if there is an objective tangible difference in builds I will get a DT. But from just reading opinions on various builders I cant discern any reason to justify the price difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by g3a3a1 View Post
    Why go with DT? I have the funds, but I just do not understand what the offer that makes up for the huge price difference. Now if there is an objective tangible difference in builds I will get a DT. But from just reading opinions on various builders I cant discern any reason to justify the price difference.
    I've heard of some issues with TPM in person. There were some on here including one with a gun using some ptr parts that it didn't look like they were giving the time of day until the person posted pictures of their failure online. DT seems to be a lot more consistent on quality although you pay for it.

PCS has built up a good reputation on here and elsewhere. I can't speak personally about a gun from them as I don't have one but I've bought a few parts from him and he was very pleasant to deal with. For me buying a clone I think I'd go with him or DT. You talk about price difference, I guess I'm not sure why I'd personally pay for a tpm over a pcs gun that on a lot of models seems cheaper.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't imagine why you wouldn't buy one from TPM. This is their bread and butter gun, they build and sell tons of these things and they put hours and hours into each build. They are the MPSD experts, this is their world.

Check out this 36 minute interview with the TPM guys: https://www.facebook.com/allyoutfitt...9773418408432/
    Last edited by lakelbj; 03-02-2019 at 02:36 AM.
    Lamont likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lakelbj View Post
    I can't imagine why you wouldn't buy one from TPM. This is their bread and butter gun, they build and sell tons of these things and they put hours and hours into each build. They are the MPSD experts, this is their world.

Check out this 36 minute interview with the TPM guys: https://www.facebook.com/allyoutfitt...9773418408432/
    ^^THIS^^. That guy who posted all over HKPro about an issue he had with TPM is a crankcase and if you read that thread you'll see what I mean.

TPM did my MP5SD build, to my specs. (get the welded rail unless you just have to have the classic look.) It's PERFECT. I liked it so much I immediately ponied up for one of the barreled receivers to stash away, ("two is one, one is none") even though it was $1K more than the Atlantic Firearms/Todd Bailey product, which has had issues. ("Why won't my suppressor fit?" LOL)

I can't even Imagine paying ANOTHER $1K over the TPM Price for DT (admittedly no familiarity) or anyone else. There's no need to.
    "We do bad things to bad people".

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

PCS does great work. Jeff has built a MP5K clone , reworked a SW5 and a MKE 43 for me. I will post pics of the MKE later this weekend. A clone is a clone. For the money I would go with PCS. I like TPM’s work. I have one of their SD cans. The other is way to expensive for a clone. You can buy a HK for what he charges. It looks nice but at the end of the day it’s a clone and you would be hard pressed to get what you paid for it back if you sold it.
    It’s your money buy what you want. I have several clones and HKs. I shoot my clones and the HKs sit in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    I've heard of some issues with TPM in person. There were some on here including one with a gun using some ptr parts that it didn't look like they were giving the time of day until the person posted pictures of their failure online. DT seems to be a lot more consistent on quality although you pay for it.

PCS has built up a good reputation on here and elsewhere. I can't speak personally about a gun from them as I don't have one but I've bought a few parts from him and he was very pleasant to deal with. For me buying a clone I think I'd go with him or DT. You talk about price difference, I guess I'm not sure why I'd personally pay for a tpm over a pcs gun that on a lot of models seems cheaper.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think I would go with TPM solely on the fact the dude on the far left wearing the versace robe reminds me of my best friend after a Friday-night banger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think TPM is the best choice for an SD. They recently built an MP5SD for me with some B&T parts I had been collecting and I couldn't be more impressed. They're right in my backyard and after dropping in on them and seeing the work they do, I was sold. I had a B&T SD suppressor for it initially but ended up selling it because the suppressor that TPM makes in house is quieter and easier to take down and clean. Between the knowledge that Matt and Ken have and the fantastic firearms they build, I think you'll be extremely happy with TPM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

i got a demilled sd kit and had jeff make me one and it came out beautiful. he had fast turnaround and great product

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links