Barrel swap on Z-5RS
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Barrel swap on Z-5RS

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Barrel swap on Z-5RS

Anyone swap barrels on a Z-5RS? Any issues? Thinking of swapping mine out for a RCM MP5 barrel for a couple of reasons. First, had to strip the paint in front of the MKE lugs down to the bare metal to get my Griffin Optimus with the 3-lug coupling to fit, so now I have a nice shiny silver section of the barrel. Second, I’d rather get rid of the knurled thread protector. Finding a correct size smooth protector is difficult (got one off eBay, which fits fine, but it’s only offered in shiny stainless steel), and have no real need to use the threaded mount anyway.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's probably less work and headache to have the shiny spot refinished than repress a new barrel.

I bought a B&T barrel because I really wanted a 3-lug on my Sp5k. Ultimately decided against it once I realized how much work is actually involved: you need to have the old barrel removed, new barrel placed and pressed in properly, and then have the gun refinished.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I had one replaced several years ago by Jayson at IGF with a RCM barrel. Between buying the barrel and having it replaced, it's going to run you more than it's worth if it's just a cosmetic issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I had someone tell me once that the rear full auto bolt block in the guns interfered with their tools so they didn't work on them.

That being said you could always see if you could get someone to blast and try to repark the tip of the barrel to clean it up.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Cold blue it and move on
    MickeyD likes this.
    Qualified HK Sear
    PCS mp5k
    PCS 53
    PCS 33k
    Omega mp5
    Omega SD-k
    Black Ops Defense mp5

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheColtCollector View Post
    Cold blue it and move on
    This is what I would do.

Hacking up a factory gun vs an easy, inexpensive fix seems most logical.

YMMV.
    "Amat victoria curam"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

After posting, I realized how much work was involved in replacing a barrel. However, I’m not sure blueing is going to work. I tried one of those touch up pens, and it while it worked, when I put my can back on, it rubbed it down to the bare metal again. I think the barrel itself is a little out of spec, and any finish that gets applied will be worn off almost immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talk to Zenith about a refinish. I contacted them when they were advertising roller lock refinishing. They did my Z5P in whatever hk color duracote black they were mentioning and it's a major improvement over the original Turkish work.
    Last edited by chip12345; 03-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwillHK View Post
    Anyone swap barrels on a Z-5RS? Any issues? Thinking of swapping mine out for a RCM MP5 barrel for a couple of reasons. First, had to strip the paint in front of the MKE lugs down to the bare metal to get my Griffin Optimus with the 3-lug coupling to fit, so now I have a nice shiny silver section of the barrel. Second, I’d rather get rid of the knurled thread protector. Finding a correct size smooth protector is difficult (got one off eBay, which fits fine, but it’s only offered in shiny stainless steel), and have no real need to use the threaded mount anyway.

Contact the Zenith Custom Shop:

https://zenithfirearms.com/videos/?v...ideo=281684744
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

HKparts thread protectors work well with my AAC tri-lug, the correct diameter.
    Bill
    Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links