Century Arms C91 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Century Arms C91

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Vp9er9mm's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Posts : 13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    That scope mount looks like it could use a little care as it looks like its starting to get some surface rust on it. Clean it wit some 0000 steel wool soaked in some gun oil. Leave a light coat of your favorite oil on it to keep it from returning.

    A better translation for "Schußrichtung" would actually be "Shot direction" used in conjunction with the arrow that represents the direction the fired bullet is meant to travel. The "B" looking symbol is pronounced as a sharp or double "S".

    If the rifle functions well, you did indeed get a good deal.

    G57
    Thanks for the reply, I will definitely take your advice on the mount as it does indeed have some light surface rust forming. Great info on the translation, very interesting!

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Vp9er9mm's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Posts : 13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    That scope mount looks like it could use a little care as it looks like its starting to get some surface rust on it. Clean it wit some 0000 steel wool soaked in some gun oil. Leave a light coat of your favorite oil on it to keep it from returning.

    A better translation for "Schußrichtung" would actually be "Shot direction" used in conjunction with the arrow that represents the direction the fired bullet is meant to travel. The "B" looking symbol is pronounced as a sharp or double "S".

    If the rifle functions well, you did indeed get a good deal.

    G57
    Thanks for the reply, I will definitely take your advice on the mount as it does indeed have some light surface rust forming. Great info on the translation, very interesting!

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Vp9er9mm's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Posts : 13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I’ve read a few things about a paddle mag release upgrade. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is there a write up floating around somewhere?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    crimedogs's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2018
    Posts : 131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Congrats on your first rollerlock! The most important thing you need to do right now before shooting it or anything else is to find out what your bolt gap is .If the gap is too low it may be unsafe to shoot.Depending on your gap you might even have to add rollers.Most answers to questions asked can be found in the forum here in the search box.

  6. #15
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Mar 2012
    Location : Mid Atlantic states
    Posts : 581
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    installing the original paddle mag release will require a refinish of your rifle and most HK smiths who hang on the board provide this service. If you are going that route and live in firearm freindly state you might consider if there are any other upgrades you want done to make your clone closer to a G3 or if you want a permanent picatinny rail or a German brass deflector added to it since you will be paying for a refinish anyway so you might as well get all work done you would like.. As for the paddle mag release I personally consider it to be an outstanding feature. Using the backup push button release on these is not as ergonomic as an AR style and being able to one handed hit the release paddle and pull the mag clear works very well (I think better than an AR but that is my opinion only. There are some that install without but I cannot speak to those but you can find threads about them.
    Just make sure she runs nice before sinking too much coin into it.

  7. #16
    Junior Member
    Vp9er9mm's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Posts : 13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    installing the original paddle mag release will require a refinish of your rifle and most HK smiths who hang on the board provide this service. If you are going that route and live in firearm freindly state you might consider if there are any other upgrades you want done to make your clone closer to a G3 or if you want a permanent picatinny rail or a German brass deflector added to it since you will be paying for a refinish anyway so you might as well get all work done you would like.. As for the paddle mag release I personally consider it to be an outstanding feature. Using the backup push button release on these is not as ergonomic as an AR style and being able to one handed hit the release paddle and pull the mag clear works very well (I think better than an AR but that is my opinion only. There are some that install without but I cannot speak to those but you can find threads about them.
    Just make sure she runs nice before sinking too much coin into it.
    Thanks for the reply. I do cerakote so the finish doesn’t scare me. I plan on coating it at some point if it functions well.

  8. #17
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    hkshooterusp's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2002
    Location : Central Indiana
    Posts : 2,219
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vp9er9mm View Post
    I’ve read a few things about a paddle mag release upgrade. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is there a write up floating around somewhere?
    There's no "write up" that I've seen but the premise is simple. Execution, however, is key to a properly and smoothly operating install. I've done four myself and in the process saved myself around $800 in smith fees. All have been successful and worked great, the last one giving me some difficulty not withstanding.
    If you are mechanically inclined or experienced and have some common tools and a welder you should be able to pull it off. If you don't have any of those things have it installed for you.
    FWIW, I've never had to refinish a rifle I've installed a paddle on and the touch ups have blended perfectly. I've done this enough times to have decided smiths use the complete refinish as an excuse to add another $200-$400 to the cost of the install.
    Exception to the last comment, I had one paddle installed by a smith only because the original rifle (FMP) is in park and I didn't want to replace the original factory finish with paint, as I have no ability to do park. Result looks factory original.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

  9. #18
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2010
    Location : The Castle Walls
    Posts : 3,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vp9er9mm View Post
    Thanks for the info, I picked the whole package up for 400$ so sounds like I did pretty good. I’ll have to check the feet on the bipod when I get home. Thanks again!
    The scope/mount are worth more than that. You scored even if the rifle has issues. I recently jumped into one of the latest production C308s for a shooter and it came with a super high bolt gap (check yours before you shoot the gun, it's easy and something you need to keep track of) and I had to drop in -8 rollers. Gap still a bit high but in 150 initial rounds only had 3 failures to feed which could have been the mags with one of them well worn and I had to scour crud out of it before it would even take a full payload. Or it just needs to have a few cases run through her to settle in that gap. It's more accurate than my PTRs and will make a fine shooter/trainer/deer rifle. I paid $88 more than you did for your entire package but my bonus is the parts kit this was built on looks nearly new. If your irons are off you will need this unique tool Cetme Front Sight Tool

    Here's mine as they come these days

    Century Arms C91-k2bnz9.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Vp9er9mm View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I do cerakote so the finish doesn’t scare me. I plan on coating it at some point if it functions well.
    I'm doing one of my GIs in flecktarn ceracote and if I dig it I'll do my other PTR GI too
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 03-12-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Yes Virginia, there are ancient conspiracies in high places

    German guns, German girls, German cars, German beer and German dogs.. what's not to like?

  10. #19
    Junior Member
    Vp9er9mm's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Posts : 13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well I finally got out to the range and ran some ammo through it, all I had on hand was some ZQI, I ran 60 rounds through is and had 0 malfunctions. Only issue I had was it was 6’ high at 100yards! It was repeatable and I was able to ring a 8” plate consistently. I only had a half hour of sunlight and 4 guns to function test so I wasn’t able to mess with the scope much. The irons are way high too. With some tinkering I think it will be a great gun. Thank you all for the contributions!

  11. #20
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    hkshooterusp's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2002
    Location : Central Indiana
    Posts : 2,219
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vp9er9mm View Post
    Well I finally got out to the range and ran some ammo through it, all I had on hand was some ZQI, I ran 60 rounds through is and had 0 malfunctions. Only issue I had was it was 6’ high at 100yards! It was repeatable and I was able to ring a 8” plate consistently. I only had a half hour of sunlight and 4 guns to function test so I wasn’t able to mess with the scope much. The irons are way high too. With some tinkering I think it will be a great gun. Thank you all for the contributions!
    6' or 6"?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

c91 clone hk

Click on a term to search for related topics.