Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G36/sl8 question

win
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default G36/sl8 question

On the G36 forearm. Does the sling stud just screw in to it? or do I need to buy more than the stud?
    Do the conversions with the AR mag well that remove material from the receiver weaken the receiver?
    It looks alot better done correctly but I have seen some conversion that just cut out the indent and the mag well has a lip that fills in the hole.
    Just wondering if that make the receiver weak or prone to breaking.
    win
    P7M8
    VP9
    USP45
    USP9 X2
    P2000
    P30 X2
    USP 45 TACTICAL--stolen--

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

"Do the conversions with the AR mag well that remove material from the receiver weaken the receiver?"

You mean double-stack mags, not AR mags. When Tommy does his, he adds a reinforcement around this area. It should look and function as factory, unlike a home smith that would have just take a Dremel to the area.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    On the G36 forearm. Does the sling stud just screw in to it? or do I need to buy more than the stud?
    Do the conversions with the AR mag well that remove material from the receiver weaken the receiver?
    It looks alot better done correctly but I have seen some conversion that just cut out the indent and the mag well has a lip that fills in the hole.
    You mean this one? https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/USC-...op-187p611.htm

It screws into on of the side rail mounting holes on a forend that has them.

On the mag well issue, you have to cut out the side of the receiver under the ejection port to use any double stack mag. The better conversion makers will plastic weld a reinforcement plate in to replace the cutout section.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Obviously, removing material weakens the receiver. As mentioned, pros will reinforce it. Tom Bostic heats up a thin piece of metal and patches that into the receiver and plastic welds it all up. Quite strong when he is done.

For me, and my money -- a hacked up receiver detracts from the value. Show me a chopped up SL8 with a double-stack magwell, and no reinforcement -- and I'll show you a gun that I pay $300 less for than a stock SL8. A stock SL8 I might KEEP stock. A hacked up SL8, I have to send to Tom Bostic to fix.
    Nzfly likes this.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9
    Future: Done, until HK comes out with something new & nifty. Might start building an FNH collection.

win
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am not looking to do the conversion. Just wondering if anyone seen or herd of a receiver breaking with the material removed.
    Yep that the screw/I let for the sling. My forearm does not have the side mounting points. Just a spot in the front of the hand guard.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I am not looking to do the conversion. Just wondering if anyone seen or herd of a receiver breaking with the material removed.
    Yep that the screw/I let for the sling. My forearm does not have the side mounting points. Just a spot in the front of the hand guard.
    That screw in sling eyelet is meant to go in the side mounting points on a forearm equipped with one. It won’t work on a slab side forearm. The sling eyelet that goes in the bottom front of the hand guard is different. It’s longer, not threaded, and held in place by a spring clip.

win
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

excellent. I would have bought the wrong one.
    I was wondering why it would have threads on it.
    I see the spring in the forearm.
    thanks again for the input....

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

As you can see, there is two detents on the front sling pin; just push it all the way in and it snaps into place. To remove, press spring release as shown below:

G36/sl8 question-img_1950.jpg G36/sl8 question-img_1949.jpg

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Well, I can't say I've heard of one breaking. But that doesn't mean much. If someone were to cut up a $2000 gun, and half-ass a conversion because they didn't want to put the $300 into it to get it done by a pro -- and then it ends up snapping, or having issues -- I don't think they'd be very likely to post about it.

I wouldn't dream of cutting into the SL8 receiver myself. The USC is a different story -- that's a piece of cake, but the SL8 is far more invasive a process.

win
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was doing some more internet searching today.
    Seems the eye let bolt I need is out of stock everywhere I looked.
    Is this a hard to come by item?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links