BT96k / MP5k PDW SF
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: BT96k / MP5k PDW SF

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default BT96k / MP5k PDW SF

Two years ago, I tried to buy a BT96k, but at the last minute the owner decided not to sell. Well, he finally found something he wanted more, and I was able to seal the deal.

They start with MKE flats, to which Brugger & Thomet add MKE, B&T, and HK parts. Mine has an MKE barrel and the B&T folding stock (which was blocked by my gun smith to meet new French regulations - it can be unblocked using tools if the law ever changes). In my opinion, the B&T 96 and B&T 96k are the Rolls Royces of MP5 and MP5k clones. You see it in their attention to details like the welds:

While their are quite a few BT96s here in Europe, the BT96k seems to be much more rare. And the one I bought is rarer than most. Normally, these are marked "BT96 k" on the top and have a Swiss cross on the right side of the magwell. Mine doesn't have the Swiss cross and on top it is marked "HK MP 5k PDW SF" (it is semi-auto only):

Anyone who has ever seen an HK MP5 (or MP5k) would know immediately that this marking didn't come from the HK factory. Genuine HKs are roll marked, then painted black. This is etched, with white paint in the etched areas. I contacted B&T about this and even sent them photos. I got a reply from Karl Brugger himself informing me that this was part of a run of 100 MP5 and MP5k guns that B&T produced in 2003 for what Mr. Brugger called "special customers". The "MP 5k PDW SF" marking was done by B&T. However, Mr. Brugger said that someone else had added the "HK". I have no reason to doubt him, but whoever did it appears to have had the same kind of equipment as B&T and the same white paint. In any case, it is an unusual gun which unusual markings from the B&T factory (and from somewhere else?).

Mine also came with the B&T tri-lug mount suppressor which for some reason is marked ".355" rather than "9 mm" like the B&T suppressor that I have for my standard HK MP5, and it is shorter and fatter than the B&T suppressor that I bought for my standard MP5. I can't find any info on this suppressor on the B&T site. It would seem that it is no longer available.

The MP5k suppressor is on top and the standard MP5 suppressor on the bottom.

It also came with several magazines (including a straight magazine - weren't they for the MP5 SD?), a magazine loader, and a BT10266 low rail.

Last edited by Callahan; 03-20-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    Glockdude1, waz0wski and AGG like this.
    If "Dirty Harry" had been made in 1996:
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire twelve shots or only eleven?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a HK MARK 23, the only offensive handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That is VERY cool gun in my opinion. Esp considering a company like B&T works over a finalized product from MKE, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Awesome MP5K! Thank you for sharing the details and the photos. It looks like a really nice gun. It would be nice if we could get these over here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

"Amat victoria curam"

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

Very nice!!!

Tony

sdx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Persistence pays off ! interesting gun with a mysterious past, I wonder what "special customers" means. Nice of Karl Brugger to email you back.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sdx View Post
    Persistence pays off ! interesting gun with a mysterious past, I wonder what "special customers" means. Nice of Karl Brugger to email you back.
    Karl does this sort of thing pretty often from what I understand. When I was on a world wide search for the discontinued BT-21488 back in 2014/2015 for one of my FNC rifles, the distributer Altrus that I contacted in Singapore sent my request back to the B&T mothership and Karl responded to me personally.

This was TOTALLY unexpected and demonstrated to me how much of a gun guy Karl really is, and that his customers are more than just abstract names and numbers to him.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beautiful weapon and a great story! Thanks for posting. With the ever growing presence B&T has in the US, maybe some day they'll import these in pistol form.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flybynt View Post
    Karl does this sort of thing pretty often from what I understand. When I was on a world wide search for the discontinued BT-21488 back in 2014/2015 for one of my FNC rifles, the distributer Altrus that I contacted in Singapore sent my request back to the B&T mothership and Karl responded to me personally.

This was TOTALLY unexpected and demonstrated to me how much of a gun guy Karl really is, and that his customers are more than just abstract names and numbers to him.
    I have always had excellent customer service from B&T and I just buy a few bits and pieces here and there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    Beautiful weapon and a great story! Thanks for posting. With the ever growing presence B&T has in the US, maybe some day they'll import these in pistol form.
    It would be great if you could get some of there guns in the States. Of course they don't make the MP5 and MP5k clones anymore. But I'm surprised that they weren't available in the past since MKE MP5 clones were imported at one time and B&T was using MKE flats to build their clones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links