Wood Furniture on a MP5 Clone

Thread: Wood Furniture on a MP5 Clone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Wood Furniture on a MP5 Clone

Hey gang,

So I nabbed a Z-5RS and wanted to tackle trying to make the wood furniture version we saw floating around the net a few years back just for kicks.
    There was a tutorial on the hand guard, someone showed the best place for the cuts and trimming the inside and so forth and for the life of me I cannot locate this again. Does anyone know where that is? I think I found the link in a thread at some point, the tutorial wasn't on here though.

Any help is appreciated!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SkudShark View Post
    Hey gang,

So I nabbed a Z-5RS and wanted to tackle trying to make the wood furniture version we saw floating around the net a few years back just for kicks.
    There was a tutorial on the hand guard, someone showed the best place for the cuts and trimming the inside and so forth and for the life of me I cannot locate this again. Does anyone know where that is? I think I found the link in a thread at some point, the tutorial wasn't on here though.

Any help is appreciated!
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...93-wood-2.html

I have a couple sets left that I was gonna tackle too. This is what I bookmarked a long time ago. Not for the MP5, but might help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ecsuser View Post
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...93-wood-2.html

I have a couple sets left that I was gonna tackle too. This is what I bookmarked a long time ago. Not for the MP5, but might help.

It certainly helps tho! Thanks :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a like new set of CETME furniture I'd like to modify for my PTR 9C but there is no how to with pics. I would feel more comfortable tackling the project with a walkthrough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not too bad if you have the equipment to make it not too bad, mostly a router table and some flush trim bits of the right length. You can do it with rasps, files, a dremel, etc, but it takes longer.

Hardest part is getting the length right, I often had to sneak up on it to be sure, since too short is not fixable.

21HK's post in that link pretty much covers it. I always cut the rivets out first, then used a 3' dowel inside the HG to knock the cap off by banging the bottom of the dowel on the floor while hanging onto the HG. Its a real pain to dig bits of wood out of one of those caps!

EDIT:
    Here's a thread with some pics of the first one I tried - 93 rather than mp5, but the concept is the same.

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ed-a-handguard

Did the cut for the front cap on a router table with a flush trim bit. You need a rod that fits inside the HG, then a piece screwed on the front of the rod that you use as a pattern. A top bearing flush trim cuts the pattern from the original piece (where the cap came off), then a bottom bearing flush trim rides on that pattern to make the final cut.
    Last edited by jdowney; 04-10-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Sponsored Links