MKE Zenith 5RS failure
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: MKE Zenith 5RS failure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MKE Zenith 5RS failure

Got my brand new MKE Zenith yesterday and took it to the range today to test fire it. I shot some hollow point 9MM and had several failures to eject. I'm going to take it apart tonight and clean it and oil it good and try again tomorrow with ball ammo. Bummer.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’m sure Zenith will fix if need be
    chomama1 likes this.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chomama1 View Post
    Got my brand new MKE Zenith yesterday and took it to the range today to test fire it. I shot some hollow point 9MM and had several failures to eject. I'm going to take it apart tonight and clean it and oil it good and try again tomorrow with ball ammo. Bummer.
    Below is a helpful video from Zenith Firearms relating to ammunition recommendations. To this I would add that when selecting hollow point ammunition, choose one that has a more rounded bullet type versus one that has a truncated cone shape. In other words, the MP5 series weapons will more reliably feed bullets that don't have sharp edges that can create friction and snag points. This is an even bigger concern when you are just breaking in the weapon.
    If you have further questions or concerns, contact the Zenith Armory.

https://zenithfirearms.com/videos/?v...ideo=265391200
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am retired LEO and this ammo is old issue stuff that is loose in an ammo can. Head stamp does not identify it except as "FC 9mm Luger". I'm not worried about the gun, probably needs a break in period.
    Marine0303 and tnbigdawg like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the plus side, I was hitting the steel at 150 yards with iron sights right out of the box.
    Marine0303 likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    Below is a helpful video from Zenith Firearms relating to ammunition recommendations. To this I would add that when selecting hollow point ammunition, choose one that has a more rounded bullet type versus one that has a truncated cone shape. In other words, the MP5 series weapons will more reliably feed bullets that don't have sharp edges that can create friction and snag points. This is an even bigger concern when you are just breaking in the weapon.
    If you have further questions or concerns, contact the Zenith Armory.

https://zenithfirearms.com/videos/?v...ideo=265391200
    To be more specific, the MP5 (no matter who built it) has no feed ramp. Just a curvature around the entry to the chamber. A large diameter HP will not feed reliably. Not sure if this is the problem you are having. I ran into the issue when ammo testing my PTR 9CT and then tried the same ammo in the HK94, SP5K, CA89, and SW5. None of them would feed it reliably.

If you are shooting old ammo, it might be weak. Hell, it might have started out that way to begin with. Watch your ejections, the ones that are working, and make sure the cases are getting tossed out pretty strong. If they just pop out a few feet, stop shooting that crap. And if you ended up having any double feeds (new round and spent case), better check your extractor spring. Jamming two in there together can fatigue that spring and then you're screwed until you change it out, not matter what kind of ammo you shoot.
    chomama1 likes this.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guys,

Why all the advice on bullet shape when he said he's having failures to EJECT. Sounds like the rounds are going into the chamber so that's a moot point. What would be the reason the gun can't get them out of the ejection port?

G57
    MickeyD, login_local and chomama1 like this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    Guys,

Why all the advice on bullet shape when he said he's having failures to EJECT. Sounds like the rounds are going into the chamber so that's a moot point. What would be the reason the gun can't get them out of the ejection port?

G57
    Read my second paragraph above. Duh!!!

j/k. Well sorta.
    caf82313 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try NATO spec ammo like the video @Marine0303 linked suggests. With every new 9mm roller lock I clean and lubricate them and then run at least 250 rounds of 124gr 9MM Nato ammo as a break in. Other than breaking it in, it removes the ammo variable in the event of a malfunction as NATO ammo should work reliably in any 9mm subgun.

Always keep a few extractors on hand, if you have had a few malfunctions you can easily have mangled yours and need to replace it.
    chomama1 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shot 300 rounds WWB 3 fails one which was a double feed all because ammo was under loaded and not cycling the weapon as it should have. All other rounds ejected at 2 and 3 o clock and 8 to 10 ft away with my new Z5RS. Get the NATO 124gr ammo and fire for effect!
    chomama1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links