Anybody Run 9mm +P in Your Clones?

Thread: Anybody Run 9mm +P in Your Clones?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Anybody Run 9mm +P in Your Clones?

I have for the most part been running S&B 115gr fmj through my Coharie / SW full size MP5 and K guns for the last decade...no idea how much, but in the neighborhood of 40k - 50k rounds through these two guns. The S&B is marketed as having 1280 fps, but no idea of the barrel length they used for that test. It functions these two guns wonderfully I think because it is hotter than most other standard 9mm.

I recently picked up a couple cases of Federal Independence 9mm Luger +P Ammo because at the price point I couldn't help myself. Here are the specs:

Manufacturer CCI AMMUNITION
    Caliber 9MM LUGER AMMO
    Bullet Type Full Metal Jacket
    Muzzle Velocity 1300 fps
    Muzzle Energy 356 ft lbs

And no idea again of the test gun.

I'm not a reloader and am only vaguely aware of chamber pressures and pressure curves and would like input on whether I can / should run this ammo through my clones in full auto, likely with a suppressor. These clones have the original barrels from 10+ years ago - no idea who made the barrels, or the trunions.

PROUD ASA MEMBER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfyr View Post
    I have for the most part been running S&B 115gr fmj through my Coharie / SW full size MP5 and K guns for the last decade...no idea how much, but in the neighborhood of 40k - 50k rounds through these two guns. The S&B is marketed as having 1280 fps, but no idea of the barrel length they used for that test. It functions these two guns wonderfully I think because it is hotter than most other standard 9mm.

I recently picked up a couple cases of Federal Independence 9mm Luger +P Ammo because at the price point I couldn't help myself. Here are the specs:

Caliber 9MM LUGER AMMO
    Muzzle Velocity 1300 fps
    Muzzle Energy 356 ft lbs

I'm not a reloader and am only vaguely aware of chamber pressures and pressure curves and would like input on whether I can / should run this ammo through my clones in full auto, likely with a suppressor. These clones have the original barrels from 10+ years ago - no idea who made the barrels, or the trunions.
    I can't give a definitive answer, however, it's my understanding that several groups run MP5's with NATO +P ball ammo. Shouldn't be an issue. I shoot a lot of Fiocchi 115gr and it's rated at 1,200 FPS 368 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Not too far off from what you're looking at and it's hot stuff.
    HK addict in constant search for a cure.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfyr View Post

Caliber 9MM LUGER AMMO
    Muzzle Velocity 1300 fps
    Muzzle Energy 356 ft lbs

Theoretically, the parts you'd need to worry about at all would be the ones that are beefed up for the MP5F gun. So more concern would turn toward the bolt head, firing pin spring, and the like.

The 9mm is a pistol round, so these muzzle speeds are typically rated for a 4.5" barrel. It would mostly be directly applicable to an MP5K. You typically see an additional 100-150 fps when you go to the full length barrel in a MP5 (8.9"). I have a lot of data posted in a few different threads about this. My 115 gr reloads were designed to duplicate either the S&B or Fiocchi round. The Fiocchi 115 gr. round used to be a bit hotter, when they were loaded in Italy (or where ever it was). They dropped the speed on them by around 7% when they started manufacturing (loading) them in Arkansas (or where ever it is).
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    Theoretically, the parts you'd need to worry about at all would be the ones that are beefed up for the MP5F gun. So more concern would turn toward the bolt head, firing pin spring, and the like.
    Cool. I'm running German bolt heads and RCM carriers so those bits are solid. No idea on the FP or FP spring but those are cheap and I have plenty of spares. I'll keep an eye on the buffer and rear of the receiver for excessive marking and go from there. Thanks gents!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a Z5RS coming from the next shipment to Zenith. Following James(Marine0303) recommendations, I just received a case of Winchester 124gr FMJ NATO ammo to break my gun in with. I am not sure if I will stay with this ammo after breakin, or go to my own handloads which I can load to most any spec. The gun will tell me what it likes, and I can go from there. I have a fair amount of PMC 115gr FMJ that works very well in a few "temperamental PO8 Lugers", so I will likely give it a trial also.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt40doc View Post
    I have a Z5RS coming from the next shipment to Zenith. Following James(Marine0303) recommendations, I just received a case of Winchester 124gr FMJ NATO ammo to break my gun in with. I am not sure if I will stay with this ammo after breakin, or go to my own handloads which I can load to most any spec. The gun will tell me what it likes, and I can go from there. I have a fair amount of PMC 115gr FMJ that works very well in a few "temperamental PO8 Lugers", so I will likely give it a trial also.
    Look for strong ejections, throwing the cases out pretty quickly. If they just dribble out a few feet, you're running on borrowed time. Better get a few extra extractor springs when you're testing ammo.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I shot 1 magazine of Federal 98BPLE which is +P+. I certainly noticed the recoil and wouldn't suggest running a steady diet of that, but the gun held up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    Look for strong ejections, throwing the cases out pretty quickly. If they just dribble out a few feet, you're running on borrowed time. Better get a few extra extractor springs when you're testing ammo.
    I learned about having extra extractor springs available a number of years ago when I purchased my BW5FS......my first roller locked firearm. Never leave home without them!!

Sponsored Links