Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By retrodog
  • 1 Post By rhouston8

Thread: Zenith/MKE MP5 Mags - Having Trouble Loading to Full Capacity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Zenith/MKE MP5 Mags - Having Trouble Loading to Full Capacity

Hello Everybody-
    I recently bought a set of 3 30rnd magazines from Zenith when they had their sale back in Feb. I just got around to trying them out at the range yesterday, and only one of the three allowed me to load all 30 rounds in it. The other two stopped somewhere midway. I set them aside for the rest of the range session to examine when I got home. I have my original 3 mags that came with my Z5P that have never given me trouble.

I got them home and pushed down on the mag follower with a dowel and there is definitely some burrs or grit or something on the inside that prevent smooth movement of the follower.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?
    I am quite certain that Zenith will make this right if I am not able to resolve this myself.

Bunk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would take the base plate off and examine for any burs or FOD that could be causing the mag follower to hang up. If it's just debris, a cleaning should be able to resolve the issue. If there are machining imperfections though, I would contact Zenith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I pulled all three new mags apart and they were pretty gritty inside. I cleaned up some stamping burrs on the face of the follower that slides against the front side of the magazine. Scrubbed out of the inside with a shotgun brush and Kroil. Dried it off then put it all back together. Holy cow that last step is a duesy. I struggled for quite some time getting the locking plate to engage the base plate.
    I then put a large clean patch inside the mag and ran the follower up and down with a dowel about 100x fast to finish up burnishing any rough spots inside.
    They load and hopefully run like a charm now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerogueone View Post
    I would take the base plate off and examine for any burs or FOD that could be causing the mag follower to hang up.
    Is there a video anywhere showing exactly how to disassemble and re-assemble MP5 mags?? I have searched everywhere I can think of, and can find no video. I don't want to wreck my mags, but feel sure that they could stand a good cleaning. Thanx

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt40doc View Post
    Is there a video anywhere showing exactly how to disassemble and re-assemble MP5 mags?? I have searched everywhere I can think of, and can find no video. I don't want to wreck my mags, but feel sure that they could stand a good cleaning. Thanx
    Everywhere? There's this new video service they just started last week. It's called YouTube. You should check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt9AovT3nno
    Last edited by retrodog; 04-25-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    denisegold and gt40doc like this.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt40doc View Post
    aint nothing to it. you'll figure it out. press floor plate dimple, slide floorplate off, spring and follower comes out easily. reverse to put back together.
    super easy. no vid needed really. basically like most mags in general i'd say.
    gt40doc likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    Everywhere? There's this new video service they just started last week. It's called YouTube. You should check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt9AovT3nno

Well, I didn't look there.....but I should have. I checked a few forums, and googled it with no results. Thank you.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A .308 round also works to push on the dimple, in my case I use a 200 grain .300 blackout for a tile extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links