PTR-9K FTE problems
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: PTR-9K FTE problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR-9K FTE problems

I've got a brand new PTR-9K that started giving me problems from the very beginning.

Let me start with that I'm very much satisfied with overall quality of fabrication. The looks are great, welds and finish is excellent. 3-lag adapter on the barrel timed properly at 12 o'clock, rear pin holes aligned perfectly, Choate MP-5K foldable stock fits without any extra efforts (I'm 07 FFL and SOT, everything is perfectly legal). I'm not shooting PTR-9K with the stock, just tried to test fit it to make sure the holes are located properly.

Now about problems. From the very beginning, it's giving me multiple FTE and double feed, practically every 2-3 rounds. I tried it with multiple magazines and ammo: HK, PTR, POF, KCI Gen2 magazines; 115gr, 124gr, 147gr brass cased ammo. Taking care of the usual suspects, I replaced PTR extractor spring with a brand new HK spring. It didn't help. The next logical step to diagnose FTE problem would be replace the extractor in the original bolt head, but I don't have spare extractors on hand and didn't want to take one from the PTR-9CT bolt head.

Then I replaced PTR-9K bolt head with another PTR bolt head I borrowed from my PTR-9CT. This completely fixed the problem! Now PTR-9K works like a champ, accepts all the mentioned magazines and ammo, not a single problem for 200 rounds tested. Moreover, it eats even steel casing Wolf ammo with no problem.

Prior to replacing the bolt head, I checked the bolt gap on PTR-9K. I was very much surprised it to be out of spec. Bolt gap measured 0.031" with the original bolt head, and about 0.029" with the replacement head, given the spec being 0.020" max. I have no idea if this may also contribute to the FTE problem.

PTR-9K FTE problems-ptr-9k_fte_01.jpg
    PTR-9K FTE problems-ptr-9k_fte_02.jpg

As you clearly can see from the attached pictures, the case is jammed between the bolt carrier and bolt head. It took significant effort and tools to remove the case.
    Last edited by JackO; 04-28-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How deep into the bolt channel is the ejector lever going on the original bolt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm relatively new to the MP-5 platform, and am not sure how to measure/estimate how deep is the ejector lever going. Any suggestions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JackO View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Yeah, call PTR and send it in. You are flirting with negating the warranty messing with it yourself.
    login_local likes this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for your suggestion. I really don't see how I'm negating the warranty, I'm not modifying any parts, nor the receiver.
    Last edited by JackO; 04-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not really a measuring type thing, just confirm that the ejector lever is riding high enough to hit the brass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerogueone View Post
    Not really a measuring type thing, just confirm that the ejector lever is riding high enough to hit the brass.
    Yes, it rides high enough to hit the brass. Otherwise why would PTR-9K function normally with the replacement bolt head?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkshooterusp View Post
    Yeah, call PTR and send it in. You are flirting with negating the warranty messing with it yourself.
    Send it back! I have a PTR 9C and KT. I went with PTR in large part because of the lifetime warranty. Use it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having the bolt gap completely outside of acceptable limits would be a warranty issue. Reassemble all 9KT parts into the gun and contact PTR.

I did my barrel break in period with Winchester 9mm NATO and KCI/POF magazines. If I had multiple FTEs in a short span, I would have stopped immediately.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I realize there are certain advantages to fixing it yourself (speed (maybe), success, experience gained, etc.). But you've already determined that it will work correctly with another bolt head (whether the extractor, head, spring, or whatever) so it's time to send it back to PTR and let them replace the defective part and test it. It's just the proper thing to do when you have a lifetime warranty on a brand new gun.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links