PTR 9CT -PTR 601 /SB brace problem - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PTR 9CT -PTR 601 /SB brace problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Area52 View Post
    I have a problem with my PTR 9CT -PTR 601. It came with a SB Brace along with the end cap. I installed the SB brace and just like others posted, it was a chore getting the push pin to line up. However that is not my main problem. The problem I’m reporting is when I took it to the range I was able to fire one round before the bolt group went way back to the rear of the gun and stayed there. It came forward when I removed the back push pin. I tried it again same result. I tried firing it with the end cap instead of the brace and it appeared to work fine.

I took it to a gun shop where they replaced the spacer on the inside of the SB brace with a different size. I took it to the range to test it and found that with 115 gr ammo it work fine. I went to 124gr and the problem occurred again but this time not as extreme. I was able to get the bolt freed and come forward by just hitting the side of the gun with the palm of by hand. However I went back to 115 Gr and then back to 124 gr this time both types of ammo fired without incident. I also fired 147 GR without the problem occurring .

I cleaned and oiled the gun and took it to the range again and the same thing happened, 115 gr worked fine, 124 gr bolt frozen to the rear, back to 115 gr then 124 gr again and it appeared to work fine.

I was only using commercial loaded ammunition namely Federal and American Eagle, the gun was well lubricated and these events occurred with multiple magazines.

It appears that the gun doesn't like the SB brace.
    My question is; does anyone else have this issue if so what is the remedy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Papaya808 View Post
    Im having the exact same problem as you when I install my brace. The gun fires just fine when the push pin is completely removed, but when it is installed the bolt locks on every shot. Did you alleviate your issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
    My LGS had a customer who also has a 9CT with the same problem. The problem is the SB brace. I believe the customer got in contact with SB Tactical. They sent him a new SB brace and it worked fine after.
    It appears I got the problem remedied. The gun shop I took it to contacted PTR who recommended redrilling/widening the hole on the SB brace. They did that and the malfunction mentioned in the original posts has ceased. The push pin also is a lot easier to install and remove. I tried a variety of ammo it work flawlessly.

So it appears if anyone else is having this problem the two options are contact SB brace tactical and get replacement brace as mentioned above by islandfocus2. Or the second option is contact PTR as ask what the recommended size of the drill bit is needed to alleviate the problem. It might be easier contacting SB brace. I also heard they have updated their SB brace for this firearm so that might alleviate the problem altogether.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just found this thread.

I had the exact same thing happen with mine. I ended up swapping the blue buffer from the brace with the black one from the factory end-cap, which is considerably thicker. The bolts are different, so I countersunk the thicker factory buffer so the shorter bolt would drop in and engage the threads in the brace adapter. It was a home remedy, but I haven’t had any stoppages since I did it.
    If you can't be safe...be deadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm...now I'm thinking and that's never a good thing! I have a brand new PTR, from Atlantic. The SB brace slides on/off much easier than the factory cap, but that last 1/4" is still a chore. However, the issue I'm having is that it's touching the corners of the "lower", before the pin hole lines up entirely. I'm no thinking I'll widen the hole in the brace to solve that issue and prevent the OP's issue.
    "Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Area52 View Post
    I have a problem with my PTR 9CT -PTR 601. It came with a SB Brace along with the end cap. I installed the SB brace and just like others posted, it was a chore getting the push pin to line up. However that is not my main problem. The problem I’m reporting is when I took it to the range I was able to fire one round before the bolt group went way back to the rear of the gun and stayed there. It came forward when I removed the back push pin. I tried it again same result. I tried firing it with the end cap instead of the brace and it appeared to work fine.

I took it to a gun shop where they replaced the spacer on the inside of the SB brace with a different size. I took it to the range to test it and found that with 115 gr ammo it work fine. I went to 124gr and the problem occurred again but this time not as extreme. I was able to get the bolt freed and come forward by just hitting the side of the gun with the palm of by hand. However I went back to 115 Gr and then back to 124 gr this time both types of ammo fired without incident. I also fired 147 GR without the problem occurring .

I cleaned and oiled the gun and took it to the range again and the same thing happened, 115 gr worked fine, 124 gr bolt frozen to the rear, back to 115 gr then 124 gr again and it appeared to work fine.

I was only using commercial loaded ammunition namely Federal and American Eagle, the gun was well lubricated and these events occurred with multiple magazines.

It appears that the gun doesn't like the SB brace.
    My question is; does anyone else have this issue if so what is the remedy?
    I've had mine for almost a year and the brace fits perfect. Never had a problem with the gun and it runs like a top. It sounds like a quality control issue with the brace not PTR. You can always try this and it fits like a glove but if you leave it on then it's an SBR unless you have a sear.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1573180

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4 View Post
    I am curious as to what ptr says about the 80 degree locking piece as well. I too have the hk parts and rcm and they don’t fit. I would really like to run 147s suppressed without having to replace the bolt head.
    Interesting from some of the quotes. Mine came with a 100 degree locking piece and from my limited knowledge is correct for an MP5. It also came with the brace which fits perfectly with no mod. I changed the handguard to an original HK MP5 handguard, original HK SEF pack and switch off between the HK A3 stock. Hard to tell the difference from an MP5. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1573180 I like the SB brace better. I never have had any issues and use all sorts of ammo including reloads and switch between shooting with and without a silencer. No issues and a couple others I know that have them have not had any issues either??? Over a 1000 rounds mostly on F/A it shows very little wear. I would send the gun back to PTR if issues arise as they stand behind their products not a gunsmith. No disrespect but it's free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I resurrecting this thread (from last month) because I've been trying to mate the SB HKPDW to my new SP5, and I have the same problem as mentioned above. It will get to within 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch for the pin to go through, but I just can't get there. After reading the posts above, I'm now debating whether to return the brace or widen the holes on the brace.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links