Zenith Z5RS FTF
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Zenith Z5RS FTF

  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date : Mar 2008
    Location : Austin, TX
    Posts : 78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Zenith Z5RS FTF

    I purchased an MKE Z5RS from Kelly Enterprises in Key West. Ordering process was pretty straight forward, and my local FFL received the gun via ground shipping without any issue. First impression is that it’s a well-made clone. The cocking tube pulls back smoothly and the trigger pull is surprisingly light. Although the trigger reset is not as positive as I am used to. I have a POF clone, and an SP5K. I owned an HK-94 many years ago also. The finish on MKE is very good, much better than how my POF came in. It bothered me so much to the point I had to have it refinished.

    I was able to make it the range today and brought both MKE and POF. Here are my thoughts after the range session.

    Good:
    Accuracy is excellent at 25 and 50 yards. I can’t tell if one is better than the other. The MKE trigger has a noticeable edge over POF, and the weak trigger reset is almost negligible when slow shooting. I was following the range rule not to rapid fire. The MKE just has the iron sights for now. At 50 yards it was hard to see for me under indoor lighting. My POF has a red dot, which is a lot easier on my rapidly aging eyes. The MKE was missing the factory optics rail when I got it, which I knew ahead of time. There is a coupon code in the box, and I used it to order the rail from Zenith’s website. It’s out of stock, but I should have it in a couple weeks. It’s going to wear an aimpoint T-1. In any case, there is no complaint about the MKE action. It shoots as expected. I love how these guns handle, look and feel.

    Bad:
    MKE had 2 FTF’s. It seems the round did not go into the chamber at all, and failed to go into battery. The first FTF simply fell out when I pulled the cocking tube back. The 2nd one was kinda cute. It somehow traveled through the upper receiver and ended up dislodging itself in the lower in front of the hammer. Both FTF’s happened on the 2nd to the last round in the same POF magazine, which has worked flawlessly in my POF and SP5K, including today. Upon some rudimentary inspection and diagnosis, I think the root cause is that the magazine fits very loosely in the MKE when the bolt is open, when there is no pressure on the magazine lip. I tried MKE/POF/HK mags, and they all fit very loosely. The mag does have some play in all the MP5’s I have, but the MKE seems to have close to twice of the movement if not more.

    Overall, I am a little bit disappointed with the MKE. I was under the impression that they were better made than POF. I didn’t expect the FTF’s, and at this point I am not sure if it can be fixed without having to send it back to Zenith. Does anyone have similar experience with the fitting of the magazine? My POF has never had any problem, besides being ugly at the beginning. Now, it is my go-to. It feels like a truer clone, and I prefer the full-size over the SP5K.
    chomama1 likes this.

  2. #2
    Teufelshund Tactical
    Marine0303's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2010
    Location : Crozet, Virginia
    Posts : 6,812
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vtducrider View Post
    I purchased an MKE Z5RS from Kelly Enterprises in Key West. Ordering process was pretty straight forward, and my local FFL received the gun via ground shipping without any issue. First impression is that it’s a well-made clone. The cocking tube pulls back smoothly and the trigger pull is surprisingly light. Although the trigger reset is not as positive as I am used to. I have a POF clone, and an SP5K. I owned an HK-94 many years ago also. The finish on MKE is very good, much better than how my POF came in. It bothered me so much to the point I had to have it refinished.

    I was able to make it the range today and brought both MKE and POF. Here are my thoughts after the range session.

    Good:
    Accuracy is excellent at 25 and 50 yards. I can’t tell if one is better than the other. The MKE trigger has a noticeable edge over POF, and the weak trigger reset is almost negligible when slow shooting. I was following the range rule not to rapid fire. The MKE just has the iron sights for now. At 50 yards it was hard to see for me under indoor lighting. My POF has a red dot, which is a lot easier on my rapidly aging eyes. The MKE was missing the factory optics rail when I got it, which I knew ahead of time. There is a coupon code in the box, and I used it to order the rail from Zenith’s website. It’s out of stock, but I should have it in a couple weeks. It’s going to wear an aimpoint T-1. In any case, there is no complaint about the MKE action. It shoots as expected. I love how these guns handle, look and feel.

    Bad:
    MKE had 2 FTF’s. It seems the round did not go into the chamber at all, and failed to go into battery. The first FTF simply fell out when I pulled the cocking tube back. The 2nd one was kinda cute. It somehow traveled through the upper receiver and ended up dislodging itself in the lower in front of the hammer. Both FTF’s happened on the 2nd to the last round in the same POF magazine, which has worked flawlessly in my POF and SP5K, including today. Upon some rudimentary inspection and diagnosis, I think the root cause is that the magazine fits very loosely in the MKE when the bolt is open, when there is no pressure on the magazine lip. I tried MKE/POF/HK mags, and they all fit very loosely. The mag does have some play in all the MP5’s I have, but the MKE seems to have close to twice of the movement if not more.

    Overall, I am a little bit disappointed with the MKE. I was under the impression that they were better made than POF. I didn’t expect the FTF’s, and at this point I am not sure if it can be fixed without having to send it back to Zenith. Does anyone have similar experience with the fitting of the magazine? My POF has never had any problem, besides being ugly at the beginning. Now, it is my go-to. It feels like a truer clone, and I prefer the full-size over the SP5K.
    Contact Zenith and their warranty department will discuss your concern and the resolution.
    SF,

    James

    Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

    Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Rovertym's Avatar
    Join Date : Apr 2019
    Posts : 19
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    The first batch of 2019 MKE imports have problems ! They are expecting another batch in may that might have better QC than the the first one. You will have to send it to Zenith, i had one of them and send it back to get fixed and then i sold it. Spending almost 2k for something that you have to send back for repairs just blows! After i sold it i bough one of the older imports that have better quality overall .

    You can read about some of the problems in the link below . Hopefully that helps you out !

    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone...bble-play.html

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date : Aug 2018
    Location : PA
    Posts : 195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm having the similar situation. Got some empty cases in front of the hammer. After 600 rounds, it is improving but not eliminated. Gun is filthy. Going to clean and fire a couple more mags. If condition persists, which I suspect it will, I'll contact Zenith.
    Last edited by esh21167; 05-05-2019 at 02:02 PM.

  6. #5
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Posts : 33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I have had similar problems with my 2019 Z5RS, failure to feed hollow points. It's like the bolt doesn't know what to do with the round. It has gotten a little better but still fails to feed the last round in the mag. No problem with FMJ, feeds fine. Gonna try one more time at the range, then I'll call Zenith if problem persists.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    login_local's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2018
    Location : Virginia
    Posts : 138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chomama1 View Post
    I have had similar problems with my 2019 Z5RS, failure to feed hollow points. It's like the bolt doesn't know what to do with the round. It has gotten a little better but still fails to feed the last round in the mag. No problem with FMJ, feeds fine. Gonna try one more time at the range, then I'll call Zenith if problem persists.
    What brand hollow points? I've been running Federal 147gr Hi-Shok JHP and I have not had FTF or FTE in 250 consecutive rounds in a PTR 9CT. Nose is rounded enough to feed reliably in both KCI and POF magazines.
    chomama1 likes this.

  8. #7
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    dwillHK's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2006
    Location : South FL, USA
    Posts : 3,051
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    Default

    MP5s were not designed for hollow points. FMJ only. Depending on the design of the HPs, some may feed reliably in a MP5, some not. If you’re having problems with HPs, the ammo would be the first thing I’d suspect. Try another brand or swap to FMJs. MP5s don’t have feed ramps, so there is little that can be done on the gun side. Possibly tightening up the mag well may help if it’s out of spec.
    chomama1 likes this.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

  9. #8
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Posts : 33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by login_local View Post
    What brand hollow points? I've been running Federal 147gr Hi-Shok JHP and I have not had FTF or FTE in 250 consecutive rounds in a PTR 9CT. Nose is rounded enough to feed reliably in both KCI and POF magazines.
    Unfortunately not sure of brand of hollow points, I had a loose bunch left over from my LE days. I agonized between the MKE and the PTR and ended up with the MKE. I would say welds are much better on the PTR. I like the MKE better for the push pin lower.

  10. #9
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Apr 2019
    Posts : 49
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Just FYI. My zenith has noticeable mag play with an open bolt. Still works fine. But, that’s with all 3 mke mags. The polymer ETS mags however fit very tightly with no play. I’m wondering if the cause of the new zeniths having play is out of spec mke mags.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Blacktoy's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Location : Seattle
    Posts : 167
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Interesting... I bought mine used on Gunbroker had to be older gen, but function and reliability has been on par not to mention its laser beam accurate. Finish was not the best and 3 lug was slightly off centered, but other than that I love the weapon. I hope Zenith gets this figured out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

z5rs trigger upgrade

Click on a term to search for related topics.