update to "disappointing day" post - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: update to "disappointing day" post

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

PTR has had multiple complaints about issues with the 9mm guns but most people seem to have said good things about their customer service which is a good thing.

As far as the brace goes why not form 1 it and put a stock on?

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbuzz View Post
    Well, I finally made it to the range to try out the new PTR 9KT. I have to say it was an almost perfect first outing. I say "almost perfect" because of out of 180 rounds I experienced three failures when spent rounds failed to clear the chamber and caused a jam. After a thorough cleaning before going to the range, I followed PTR's suggestion for break in by shooting the first round and then cleaning the barrel, shot the second round and cleaned the barrel, etc. I continued this routine for the first ten rounds, cleaning the barrel by first running a swab with bore cleaner down the barrel, followed by running a brass bore brush through the barrel 5 or 6 times, and then ultimately by running a bore snake through the barrel to dry it and remove any residue after each round was shot. Starting with round 11, I shot 10 rounds and then cleaned the barrel and continued this routine of cleaning the barrel after each 10 rounds were shot until I had reached the 130 round mark. I have to admit, it sure detracts from an enjoyable range session when you have to clean the firearm so often, but hopefully it will be well worth the effort. This first 130 rounds was entirely Winchester WB 124 gr NATO. The next group of shots were increased to 20 rounds between cleanings and I switched to Blazer Brass 124 grain. The final 10 rounds were Blazer Brass 115 grain.

I have to say, with the exception to the three failures, the 9KT was a joy to shoot. Recoil is mild, it is extremely accurate (although I wasn't concentrating on accuracy at this stage), and it proved to be a great, fun to shoot pistol. The first failure happened in the first group of 10 that I shot, and the other two failures were within the first 100 or so rounds, and they all happened while shooting the Winchester WB 124 gr NATO. The last 50 rounds were Blazer 124 and 115 grain and they shot flawlessly.

While I am somewhat disappointed with having any failures at all, I'm not too concerned and hope that the next outing will be even better. PTR says they recommend a break in period of 200 to 300 rounds, so I'm a little over half way there. I'm not sure what to blame the failures on. They all happened with 124 gr NATO ammo, but that ammunition has always been flawless in whatever I was shooting it in, so I can't really blame it even though the 50 rounds of Blazer Brass ran flawlessly. I'll try to make it back to the range in a couple of days to finish the break in process.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the PTR and think it's going to be a fine shooting pistol. I just need to decide which brace to install as it desperately needs one to really enjoy shooting it.
    Thanks for the report!!!
    What is up with all of the newly-manufactured guns and "break-in periods"?

Tony

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Before I SBR’d mine, I was using the SB brace. It’s pretty comfortable IMO.

Here’s my Z-5P before I SBR’d it.

What’s cool about the SB brace is that when you plan to SBR it, just unscrew the actual SB brace and replace it with B&T stock.
    Last edited by islandfocus2; 06-01-2019 at 06:22 AM.
    rbuzz likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    What is up with all of the newly-manufactured guns and "break-in periods"?

Tony
    I've never purchased a firearm that specified such a strenuous break in period. From my experience, barrel break in was generally limited to precision firearms, and I'm not sure that the 9KT really fits that category, but PTR specifically suggests it in the owners manual. It is a pain to do it this way, and I've heard of many who don't do a break-in as PTR suggests and just start shooting, but I figure it's worth it to me to follow the instructions of the manufacturer. I'm sure they don't suggest this unless they feel it is worthwhile.

According to PTR:
    INITIAL CLEANING AND BREAK IN
    Make sure to thoroughly clean your product prior to firing. Because there are so many options in cleaning accessories and methods, we leave the specifics of this process to you. However, after cleaning, but before firing, lightly oil all the internal parts (bolt head, bolt carrier, locking piece), while keeping the barrel and chamber dry. PTR weapons are made to tighter tolerances than most other weapons of similar design, so a break-in period of 200-300 rounds is highly recommended. This will allow machined surfaces to smooth out, in turn smoothing out the action of your new weapon. This break-in period will also ensure that you achieve optimum accuracy and barrel life.
    BREAK IN PROCEDURES
    I. Fire 10 single shots. After each shot, push a cotton patch, wet with solvent through the bore. Then wet a bronze brush with solvent and stroke the barrel five to ten times. Follow with another wet patch and then enough dry patches to completely remove any solvents and/or wetness from the barrel.
    II. Fire 10-20 shots, clean as above after each round of firing. Repeat step 2 until you have reached the suggested 200-300 rounds.
    DURING THIS BREAK-IN PERIOD YOU MAY EXPERIENCE THE FOLLOWING:
    Intermittent occurrences of failure to feed, or failure to eject. If you are experiencing any failure issues after you have completed the suggested break-in of your new PTR product, or if malfunctioning is excessively frequent during the break-in period: stop shooting your PTR, make sure it is unloaded, store it properly and contact PTR customer service for support.

Failure to feed--This is when your product does not properly seat the round in the chamber prior to firing.
    Failure to eject-- This is when your product does not eject the spent casing from the chamber after firing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    PTR has had multiple complaints about issues with the 9mm guns but most people seem to have said good things about their customer service which is a good thing.

As far as the brace goes why not form 1 it and put a stock on?
    The only problems I've had with my 9KT have been one magazine with a lot of wobble, and a polymer lower with a scratch. PTR responded quickly and within two days I received replacement parts from them. Their customer service has been excellent.

As far as the brace and SBRing the 9KT, I have thought about it, but with some of the new pistol braces being so close in design and operation of an actual stock, I'm inclined to stick with a brace. The biggest reason for this isn't because of the cost of the stamp, it's just to avoid all the BS that the Feds put you through. I have to admit though, an actual stock is better looking than almost any brace and it is tempting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought I had read somewhere that the PTR mags were made by KCI. Anyway, I have a 9CT and a Zenith Z5RS. Not sure if it's the mags or the PTR, but the lips on the mags are really beat up like in the OP. I've run a couple POF mags through the PTR and they didn't get ripped up, but they weren't used nearly as much as the factory PTR mags.

MKE Mags on the left, PTR factory mags center and POF on the right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Since I'm relatively new to the MP5 clone thing, I can't really say, but with my limited experience, it seems that it's the PTR mags. Both of mine came with the wear marks from the factory. When I contacted PTR about another issue, I was told that they use those magazines to test fire the pistol during the manufacturing process. I was sent one replacement magazine and it came totally unscathed with the paint on the feed lips pristine.

Even after placing that new magazine in my pistol and racking the slide several times and dry firing it, the paint is still in perfect shape. Pictures that I've seen seem to back up what they pictures posted by AMill08 seem to show, that other brands of mags don't have the worn feed lips like PTR mags do.

I think I'm going to buy either some Zenith or genuine HK mags next and see how they fare after some use.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AMill08 View Post
    I thought I had read somewhere that the PTR mags were made by KCI. Anyway, I have a 9CT and a Zenith Z5RS. Not sure if it's the mags or the PTR, but the lips on the mags are really beat up like in the OP. I've run a couple POF mags through the PTR and they didn't get ripped up, but they weren't used nearly as much as the factory PTR mags.

MKE Mags on the left, PTR factory mags center and POF on the right.
    By looking at the photo’s. The MKE’s (LEFT SIDE) seem to be a bit wider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbuzz View Post
    The only problems I've had with my 9KT have been one magazine with a lot of wobble, and a polymer lower with a scratch. PTR responded quickly and within two days I received replacement parts from them. Their customer service has been excellent.

As far as the brace and SBRing the 9KT, I have thought about it, but with some of the new pistol braces being so close in design and operation of an actual stock, I'm inclined to stick with a brace. The biggest reason for this isn't because of the cost of the stamp, it's just to avoid all the BS that the Feds put you through. I have to admit though, an actual stock is better looking than almost any brace and it is tempting.
    I had the same thoughts with my Z5P, but I really wanted a vertical foregrip to complete the look, and you can’t do that with a brace. That and the current speed of approvals (mine took about 3 weeks total) pushed me over the edge in favor of the SBR. On top of all this, we’ve gone big with these guns. Why not take the extra step and put the cherry on top?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR Mags

Quote Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
    By looking at the photo’s. The MKE’s (LEFT SIDE) seem to be a bit wider.
    I had the same issue. The PTR mags were getting impacted by the bolt, and the feed lips were getting gouged. My KCI GEN 2 mags did NOT have the same issue nor did my HK mags.

I called KCI and they e-mailed me a UPS label to send the PTR mags to them for replacement with newer GEN 2s (the ones that came with the PTR were an older generation supplied to PTR). So, KCI-USA stands behind their product. And like I said, the GEN 2s worked flawlessly.

The two on the left are the PTR (early KCI), the one on the right is a GEN 2 KCI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails update to "disappointing day" post-20200629_140007-2-.jpg   update to "disappointing day" post-20200625_210141.jpg  
    Last edited by Octavian; 07-02-2020 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Additional Picture
    Prepare for the worst / Hope for the best

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links