update to "disappointing day" post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: update to "disappointing day" post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default update to "disappointing day" post

A week or so ago I was supposed to take delivery of a new PTR 9KT only to discover that the wrong gun had been sent to the FFL. The seller and the FFL are still working things out and the wrong firearm is still sitting at the FFL. The seller is claiming that PTR sent them the wrong firearm and is trying to get PTR to acknowledge that so that it can be sent back to PTR. In the meantime they seem to be content letting it sit at the FFL and haven't issued a RMA for it to be returned to them. If PTR did ship the wrong firearm to the seller, then the seller was pretty sloppy at checking in it's orders because if it ordered a PTR 9KT but accepted a PTR 91 K3P, they received a firearm with about a $400 less retail price. Or it could be that the seller did send out the wrong firearm. Regardless which is true, I finally got the correct 9KT that I originally ordered.

For the most part I am very well satisfied with the 9KT. The fit and finish is near perfect and the lug is correctly positioned at 12 o'clock. The welds are great. The action is very smooth and the trigger is really better than I expected. Inside and out, the workmanship is excellent.

I haven't fired it yet so we'll see how that works out next week, but for now I do have two concerns. 1) one of the magazines fits great. It has very little movement when inserted into the mag well (approximately 1/8" wiggle measured at the end). I'm very well satisfied with this magazine. The second magazine has scrape marks on the side and almost looks used. When I measure the movement like I did the other one, it has probably 3 to 4 times the wiggle. Since one mag fits so well and the other has a lot of slop in it, I assume that it isn't in the magazine well or the mechanism inside and has to be a out of spec magazine. Just how much movement is acceptable with a firearm like this? Also, I have noticed, like some others have reported, that the feed lips on the magazines look as if they are scraping on the bolt and eroding the feed lips. So is this scraping on the feed lips normal for the factory mags? Since the scrape marks are somewhat scalloped, it almost looks like the manufacturer of the mag used a dremel or something similar to smooth out the feed lips. If they had actually been rubbing on the bolt, the marks would be more linear. Remember, the pistol hasn't been shot yet.

And 2) I've noticed that the polymer trigger housing has a couple of scratches on it. Not deep, but on a brand new pistol there shouldn't be any scratches.

I've already contacted PTR and sent pictures, but because of the holiday I won't hear from them until next week. I don't know what to expect PTR to say, but from what everyone says their customer service is excellent. I am hoping that they will work it out so that the will send the replacement parts and let me exchange the ones I have so that I won't have to return the pistol to PTR. We'll see. So on one hand, I'm disappointed that I do have a couple of problems, but on the other I'm happy that the problems are relatively minor and should be able to work out relatively easy. It's such an iconic design and such a neat little pistol that I just can't help myself constantly checking it out.

Now I need to decide on what brace to use on it. I'm thinking about going with the Safety Harbor KES w/tailhook, but that will wait a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails update to "disappointing day" post-.new-9kt-1280x768-.jpg   update to "disappointing day" post-9kt-lt-1280x768-.jpg   update to "disappointing day" post-9kt-rt-1280x768-.jpg   update to "disappointing day" post-magazines-1280x768-.jpg  

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Thanks for the update--- let us know the PTR response, and a give us a range report, when available!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is PTR using surplus grip frames or making their own?

Had my own disappointing dat on Friday as I had to spend $1400 to replace my car's AC compressor. Hurt knowing I could have about had a new ptr for that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerogueone View Post
    Is PTR using surplus grip frames or making their own?
    They are made by PTR and count as a 922r part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01 / 03

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Thanks for the update--- let us know the PTR response, and a give us a range report, when available!!!

Tony
    Can't help you with the range report yet (hopefully later this week) but I got a reply from Customer Service at PTR early this morning. Since I only just emailed them Saturday, and the weekend was a holiday weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to get a reply early Tuesday morning. They are on the ball!

PTR apologized for the problems and said they were arranging for a new magazine and a new lower polymer trigger housing to be sent out. I was expecting them to say send it back in, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they were sending the parts out to me instead. I always hate sending a firearm back for service unless absolutely necessary. We'll see if this clears up the problems and hopefully get it to the range later this week, depending on the weather.

But for now I have to give a big thumbs up to PTR's customer service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbuzz View Post
    Can't help you with the range report yet (hopefully later this week) but I got a reply from Customer Service at PTR early this morning. Since I only just emailed them Saturday, and the weekend was a holiday weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to get a reply early Tuesday morning. They are on the ball!

PTR apologized for the problems and said they were arranging for a new magazine and a new lower polymer trigger housing to be sent out. I was expecting them to say send it back in, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they were sending the parts out to me instead. I always hate sending a firearm back for service unless absolutely necessary. We'll see if this clears up the problems and hopefully get it to the range later this week, depending on the weather.

That's awesome! I'm happy to hear that PTR is committed to customer satisfaction. Now, only if PTR would make a reverse stretch that would be AWESOME!

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbuzz View Post

That was a quick turnaround with good results!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post

Tony
    Well, I finally made it to the range to try out the new PTR 9KT. I have to say it was an almost perfect first outing. I say "almost perfect" because of out of 180 rounds I experienced three failures when spent rounds failed to clear the chamber and caused a jam. After a thorough cleaning before going to the range, I followed PTR's suggestion for break in by shooting the first round and then cleaning the barrel, shot the second round and cleaned the barrel, etc. I continued this routine for the first ten rounds, cleaning the barrel by first running a swab with bore cleaner down the barrel, followed by running a brass bore brush through the barrel 5 or 6 times, and then ultimately by running a bore snake through the barrel to dry it and remove any residue after each round was shot. Starting with round 11, I shot 10 rounds and then cleaned the barrel and continued this routine of cleaning the barrel after each 10 rounds were shot until I had reached the 130 round mark. I have to admit, it sure detracts from an enjoyable range session when you have to clean the firearm so often, but hopefully it will be well worth the effort. This first 130 rounds was entirely Winchester WB 124 gr NATO. The next group of shots were increased to 20 rounds between cleanings and I switched to Blazer Brass 124 grain. The final 10 rounds were Blazer Brass 115 grain.

I have to say, with the exception to the three failures, the 9KT was a joy to shoot. Recoil is mild, it is extremely accurate (although I wasn't concentrating on accuracy at this stage), and it proved to be a great, fun to shoot pistol. The first failure happened in the first group of 10 that I shot, and the other two failures were within the first 100 or so rounds, and they all happened while shooting the Winchester WB 124 gr NATO. The last 50 rounds were Blazer 124 and 115 grain and they shot flawlessly.

While I am somewhat disappointed with having any failures at all, I'm not too concerned and hope that the next outing will be even better. PTR says they recommend a break in period of 200 to 300 rounds, so I'm a little over half way there. I'm not sure what to blame the failures on. They all happened with 124 gr NATO ammo, but that ammunition has always been flawless in whatever I was shooting it in, so I can't really blame it even though the 50 rounds of Blazer Brass ran flawlessly. I'll try to make it back to the range in a couple of days to finish the break in process.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the PTR and think it's going to be a fine shooting pistol. I just need to decide which brace to install as it desperately needs one to really enjoy shooting it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

@rbuzz do you have the Sb brace on yours? If so, how does it look? I’ve gone through two blue buffers because they keep getting destroyed
    Last edited by taybig88; 05-31-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

@taybig88 ...I currently don't have any brace on mine. I haven't decided on which brace to go with although I'm considering either the Safety Harbor KEC brace, or something simple like a Sig Sauer folding brace.

Even though the Sig brace doesn't have the traditional HK styling, it is sharp looking and uses the stock end cap and buffer.

Sorry, can't help with your problem. What does SB say?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links