MP5 mag wobble , an intentional design ? == UPDATE ==
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MP5 mag wobble , an intentional design ? == UPDATE ==

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP5 mag wobble , an intentional design ? == UPDATE ==

UPDATE :6-19-19
    After a little issue with Zenith sending my return authorization to the wrong email i sent the gun in and receiver it back today. In my note to them i described the problem with the mag well wobble and my concerns with the magazine catch being adjusted with a downward angle .I received no emails or calls about the problems with the gun or what would be done. The receipt with the returned gun says the magazine well and catch were adjusted and touch up paint applied where needed. The catch was not replaced and i noticed nothing "adjusted". I did see areas on the lower rear of the mag well opening that were touched up and the MKE mags fit now with little movement just a wiggle. Now the KCI mag still had more wobble(bolt open)than the MKE but much better than before. The "made in Germany " HK mag had the most wobble but still half of what it was before maybe 1/8 inch. All are much better than the 1/4 inch or more that was there originally. All are solid with the bolt closed.

So , they compressed the magwell and mag fitment is much better and consistent with my research of other HK,MKE and clone owners comments on the internet. Operation was never an issue and the return receipt showed they fired 15 rounds of different 9mm ammo through all three of the mags i sent with no issues. Overall i'm happy with the improvement but a little anal about the mag catch position luckily mine is much better than some MKE guns i've seen. . I dont think Zenith lived up to there warranty proclamation as far as workmanship is concerned and hope they make improvements in the future. Fo now im going to shoot and enjoy.

================================================== ================================================== ==========

I would like to keep this discussion on the technical side and ask others to please resist the urge to just complain or be sarcastic.

I have a few HK pistols and a G3 clone so i'm familiar with the design. Recently i purchased a MKE 5RS and it has been great, everything is well constructed and straight along with function and accuracy. But i do have the mag wobble with the bolt open .With the bolt closed its solid so this had me wondering about the design of the system .Is it intentional or a manufacturing issue. Being this is my first curved magazine firearm i started searching the web even going back to postings from the early 2000's before MKE was around and i found that the issue of mag wobble has been posted about many US clones and even HK MP5's. One poster mentioned a few agency MP5's that all had the 1/4 " wobble. These postings have my attention focused on the design aspect of the magazine and receiver.

Things i noticed and remember im new to this design so things may be obvious.

1. There is nothing that stops the rear of the mag from being tilted UP into the receiver.There is nothing inside the receiver that stops the rear of the magazines upward motion (with the bolt open ).

2. There is not a lip on the magazine to stop over insertion like on some AR15 mags.The notch in the magazine for the catch has an upper ledge but not a lower ledge to stop over insertion, its not a true notch .The front of the magazine has stops that hit the bottom of the trunnion. This all adds up to the rocking (wobble ) motion.

3. My magazine well is tight at the bottom and loose near the top. This is made this way . Again this feature allows the rocking motion of the magazine.

The pic below shows the upper rear portion of the magazine well with a mag installed and pulled rearward. Notice the stamping bend and the gap, this also allows the rocking motion of the mag.

MP5 mag wobble , an intentional design ? == UPDATE ==-img-2238.jpg

4. This wobble or free floating mag design allows the bolt and carrier to self adjust the magazine position.(pic)Was it designed this way to help with the mass production aspect , a by product of the curved magazine or simply to allow for easy mag changes. If there is no wobble at all there would have to be a very tight straight mag well or a true notch in the magazine for the mag catch.

The pictures show the bolt and carrier touching the feed lips and follower and "adjusting " the position of the mag in the well.I could see the mag move when i inserted the carrier . The end result is the ledge in the magazine notch positioned exactly on the magazine catch edge for a tight mag fit.

MP5 mag wobble , an intentional design ? == UPDATE ==-img-2237.jpg

MP5 mag wobble , an intentional design ? == UPDATE ==-img-2240.jpg

Now with all this said what am i missing , where is the defect that is causing the mag wobble or is it designed to be ? and what would cause less wobble. ?
    Last edited by Darkside; 06-19-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The mag wobble on the early 2019 Z5rs batch that was imported by zenith has been discussed few times already. The magwell on them is not in specs, also the bolt it's not supposed to come in contact with the magazine when you move it back and forth. Here is one of the threads https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone...bble-play.html

Here is video of the play of my 2019 z5rs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDB-h-MhdGU that was also having problem with bolt getting hung on the magazine , when the magazine was pushed forward .

This is video comparing my 2016 z5rs wobble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51N0WrgGC6c .

You will have to send it to zenith so they can fix the magwell .
    Last edited by Rovertym; 06-03-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just an observation, many Zenith guns I’ve seen in pics or in person have a magazine catch with a lot of play (can pivot up and down within the slot as in pic 3). Very few HKs I’ve seen have this play.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rovertym View Post
    The mag wobble on the early 2019 Z5rs batch that was imported by zenith has been discussed few times already. The magwell on them is not in specs, also the bolt it's not supposed to come in contact with the magazine when you move it back and forth. Here is one of the threads https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone...bble-play.html

Here is video of the play of my 2019 z5rs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDB-h-MhdGU that was also having problem with bolt getting hung on the magazine , when the magazine was pushed forward .

This is video comparing my 2016 z5rs wobble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51N0WrgGC6c .

You will have to send it to zenith so they can fix the magwell .
    I guess thats what im trying to figure out , what are the specs ? Zenith is compressing the magwell for a tighter fit but mine is already tight at the bottom. Is it supposed to be tight at the top also?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    I guess thats what im trying to figure out , what are the specs ? Zenith is compressing the magwell for a tighter fit but mine is already tight at the bottom. Is it supposed to be tight at the top also?
    I don't know whats the specs , i send mine to zenith once it came back i sold it, i didn't pay 2000$ for something that had to be repaired before i can even fire it. Then i bought the 2016 import, that has much better quality overall and no wobble .

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just called Zenith to get a warranty return and i will try to update this post to show what repairs they made.
    Last edited by Darkside; 06-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tlrgsxr

"Just an observation, many Zenith guns I’ve seen in pics or in person have a magazine catch with a lot of play (can pivot up and down within the slot as in pic 3). Very few HKs I’ve seen have this play"

Thanks for the tip, I think you may be right. My mag well is tight, it would have to be stamped really out of spec to cause this much wobble which i cant believe. But the way they fit the mag catch notch too low (pic) i can see this contributing to the wobble.If the catch were sitting another 1/16 higher the wobble would be much less. A stamping would be more consistent but a hand fit part can result in human error.
    Last edited by Darkside; 06-04-2019 at 12:34 AM.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    I just called Zenith to get a warranty return and i will try to update this post to show what repairs they made.
    Keep us updated!!!

Tony

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

FWIW, I have an HK MP5 and a B&T MP5k and about 10 magazines from HK, MKE, and POF. Only one magazine (not a genuine HK) fits really tight with no wobble with the bolt open. Most have a very small amount of wobble, and one has a lot of wobble. The OP and others have indicated that the wobble they are experiencing is the fault of the gun, but in my case, it seems to be caused by certain magazines.
    If "Dirty Harry" had been made in 1996:
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire twelve shots or only eleven?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a HK MARK 23, the only offensive handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

updated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links