Newest batch of Zenith Z-5RS's - Page 12
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Newest batch of Zenith Z-5RS's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just joined this forum, some great info in here. This is copy pasted from another HK forum out there. Just wanted to throw this out there as a potential quick fix for the paint issue. @TheDannestDan , mine looked almost exactly like the photo you posted. Hopefully this may work for you as well.

Guys with the "matte paint issue" on the left side of the gun, you may be able to fix this issue quickly yourself.

I received my Z5RS yesterday and after initial inpsection in the FFL decided to take it home. Welds look great, mags have small bit of play that is reduced when bolt is closed, and the paint looked 90% ok.

I did have a similar issue as some other people are noting, where the left side of the receiver, at the front, there is a paint issue where it looks almost "matte black". I pulled 2 examples from HKPro and Reddit of what others are seeing. I unfortunately didn't take a photo of my "before" case of what mine looked like. I would say mine was comparable to the below two photos, if not worse in the area that it covered.

Example 1 of issue: HKPro forums (this thread first post)

Example 2 of issues: Reddit MP5 forum

I completely stripped the gun, removed all of the packing oil MKE uses, and cleaned and lubed it. I decided to try using Hoppes #9 and scrub that "matte paint issue" with an old dirty t-Shirt that I use as a cleaning rag. To my surprise it actually started to remove the matte paint with simple hand scrubbing. Underneath the paint is the typical black paint you would expect. I decided to keep going at it, for about another 15-20 min with that t-shirt rag. I would saturate the paint with Hoppes then use the dry t-shirt to try to buff it away.

Below is my after shot. I would say I removed 95% of the matte paint issue. What remains is fairly well blended in and difficult to see unless you are looking for it under correct light.

Below is my best estimate of where I started. The red outline is where the matte paint issues had covered the receiver. The green outline is where it is reduced to now.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the RS i received. Now i just need to visit my Obsidian 45 in jail and test it out with 147 grain.
    Last edited by JSchell1309; 06-28-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here are some photos of the welds from my June purchased RS.

I didn't take any photos of the internal receiver or the bolt taken down. Everything checks out, very little red/orange brazing on my sample except in the butt cap. Other than being dirty, covered in oil/grease, and the above paint issue, this gun is great looking. (this is my first roller delayed, so this is the first time I have inspected one or torn one down)

I can also confirm the bolt, bolt carrier, and locking piece have 3 digit serials that match the frame. 3 lug is correctly timed. It feeds, extracts, and ejects the 5 beat up snap caps I have as well with all 3 MKE mags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JSchell1309 View Post
    Here are some photos of the welds from my June purchased RS.

I didn't take any photos of the internal receiver or the bolt taken down. Everything checks out, very little red/orange brazing on my sample except in the butt cap. Other than being dirty, covered in oil/grease, and the above paint issue, this gun is great looking. (this is my first roller delayed, so this is the first time I have inspected one or torn one down)

I can also confirm the bolt, bolt carrier, and locking piece have 3 digit serials that match the frame. 3 lug is correctly timed. It feeds, extracts, and ejects the 5 beat up snap caps I have as well with all 3 MKE mags.

Thanks 4 the info! I didn't even try to mess around with scrubbing my Z5, I had it on both sides of my gun and on various other places on the firearm, so I just called to get it taken care of. They took care of me quickly and did a great job, so I am satisfied and have no problems recommending them in the future. My welds are all fine and my magwell is now fixed as well, so I'm a happy camper... Glad you got yours all taken care of. BTW: All of the internal parts matched my firearm serial number as well, so no issues there. I would still say that beyond getting a genuine HK or spending that Dakota Tactical money , this is still the way to go if you want the best MP5 clone option under $1800 with a solid 5-year warranty. I could not have said that if they would not have taken care of me so well, but they earned a 5 star rating from me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sorry guys - ya'll keep mentioning the serialized internals... Is this an issue that has been reported, that people have been receiving guns that are mix and match parts?

Thanks for the clarification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badmanners21 View Post
    I have small paint chipping but other than that not a single issue
    How bad is your paint chip? Mine has some on the mag well. Should I send this back in 2nd batch Z5RS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newest batch of Zenith Z-5RS's-6815dc95-2752-455a-b242-add94ef83f50_1561782833880.jpeg   Newest batch of Zenith Z-5RS's-e4f9a6f8-c7e1-4cc8-a466-e2d0643f0102_1561782846164.jpeg  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drh2687 View Post
    Sorry guys - ya'll keep mentioning the serialized internals... Is this an issue that has been reported, that people have been receiving guns that are mix and match parts?

Thanks for the clarification.
    Both my Z-5RS and Z-5P all have matching serial numbers in the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy556 View Post
    How bad is your paint chip? Mine has some on the mag well. Should I send this back in 2nd batch Z5RS
    That looked like handling markings. You can easily touch that up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would. On a brand new gun for that price point that is unacceptable.
    Helodad likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badmanners21 View Post
    I have small paint chipping but other than that not a single issue
    To me it looks like poor metal prep so the finish did not adhere properly. Call them on Monday and see what they say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
    Both my Z-5RS and Z-5P all have matching serial numbers in the internals.
    Mine as well. Pretty sure this is a non-issue; not sure why they are highlighting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drh2687 View Post
    Mine as well. Pretty sure this is a non-issue; not sure why they are highlighting it.
    I think that it shows that the gun left the factory within spec and with proper QC. No parts had to be replaced once the gun was stateside. I don't think it matters much but I think that is why people are posting this. In the end because of the QC issues people are now going over these guns with a fine tooth comb looking for anything and everything that could be wrong with it. I can understand doing that because $1700-$2000 isnt a ton of money but it is not a small amount either to pay for a pistol. That said we are all buying these because we do not want to pony up for a real HK or a US made clone from someone like Dakota Tactical that is putting the work in upfront to avoid these issues. It is a $$ to value ratio decision we are all making. If I were using this gun to kick in doors I would have gotten a DT but since I am just ambushing paper and steel targets I went with clones but did so with my eyes wide open.

I recently picked up a 2016 Z-5P and then a 2nd 2019 batch Z5Rs and both run 100%. They both look great. Solid welds, no mag wobble and shoot 100% with MKE and KCI 2nd Gen mags. The Z5RS however is going back. The cocking tube end cap came off and when I was putting it back on I noticed that there is a spacer in there. I thought that it was odd so I inspected it further. It is threaded and I removed it. Once I did I notice that the cocking tube is touching the triple frame. This and the spacer do not allow the barrel to free float as it should. I contacted Zenith and have a return shipping label and will be sending the gun in after the holiday weekend. Here is a pic of the issue. They told me they will not have to cut or replacing of the tube. They claim they can take care of it with a set of mandrels. Ideally I would love it to be perfectly centered like the Z-5P but as long as they can get it off the triple tower I am good. Will update when it returns.

Last edited by rellascout; 06-29-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links