HKPRO Forums banner

Problems with PTR-9C I got today

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Blitzkrieg 
#1 ·
I just got my PTR-9C today and already I have problems. Everything fits way too tight. The push pins are so tight you cannot remove them without using a punch and mallet and same with putting them back in. You should be able to remove or put them back in with just you fingers. The butt cap is so tight you have to either attach a sling and pull it off that way or put something up against it and tap that with a mallet to pop the end cap off. The lower is also tight and you have to hit at it with your hand to knock it loose. I tried putting a POF contoured SEF lower on it and it didn't want to fit. I also tried to put a SB Tactical Arm Brace on it and it didn't want to fit on it and I had to hit it hard on the floor to get it on which I regretted because it was near impossible to get off then. The things I mentioned all had oil on them too and still too tight. Anybody else on here have these problems with there PTR-9C/CT or other MP5 clone? If so what can I do to fix these problems with everything being so damn tight?! Should I take it to a local gun smith or send it back to PTR? I have a C93 I got last year and don't have these problems save for the POF lower. Any info would be more than appreciated. I was having a hell of a good day and until I had all these problems. I was so happy to get the PTR-9C and it turned out to be bitter sweet.

"Yippy Kiyay Motherfu**er!" John Mcclane

See less See more
#6 ·
Not yet but I will be sure to post when I get around to it eventually. And yeah I will try that then with taking the stuff off and on over and over again. My guess is the C93 must be broken in since I have no idea how much use it got before I bought it off of Ohio Ordnance works on Gun Broker last September so I guess that is why why the pins and everything slips off with little effort. Funny two how before I got it I thought the 9C would be heavier and it ended up being lighter than I thought and also thought the Pelican case it comes in would be lighter than it turned out to be. The guy at the gun store was taken back by how heavy the box was when he went to get it for me from the stock room since I had it shipped there from Atlantic Firearms. Even though it is a nice case I think I will get a nylon case for carrying it in at the range or even a nice black duffel bag that looks like the ones the terrorists carried theres in in the first Die Hard. Since if I am going to be carrying other guns at the range don't want to be loaded down with a case that is too heavy. Lol.

#5 ·
This is how most seem to come. My PTR 9CT was like this and I thought it was unusual until I talked to some people with clones. It loosens up over time...except that SB brace. I had to buy a plastic hammer just for that gun and the stupid brace. I got a Zenith Z5RS two months ago and it's the same way. The only push pins that are easy to remove out of the box are the hand guard pins. Otherwise it needs a tap with a hammer and punch until you put a good amount of rounds through it.

#7 ·
Yeah I guess it just must be the way those braces are made then with you saying it did that with your Zenith as well. I think what I am just going to do in regards to the arm brace is I am going to take it to the gunsmith at the gun store I buy from and just have him file down the inside of the brace to get it to fit more loose. It even says in the manual that comes with the brace that it might need a gunsmith to be installed. I myself rather have it be loose than too tight. Not like I am going to use the brace without a pin holding it on. Since it was so tight I couldn't even get it all the way on. Hopefully when I SBR it when I get a Tax Stamp for it that A2 and A3 stocks I will use on it will not be so tight that they have to be pounded on. Thanks a bunch guys for the responses.

#8 ·
Well, looks like I jumped the gun a bit. I tried taking the arm brace off and putting it back on and eventually it got loose enough where it would come off without having to tap it off with a mallet anymore. Managed to get the POF contoured SEF lower to work on it also. With the arm brace at the same time. I guess I am good now. Since I paid as much as I did for the PTR I was worried that maybe I got a dud since that would be my luck. Lol. Thanks a bunch once against guys for the helpful responses.

#9 ·
Shoot us a message via our website. We are doing third-party repair is now.
Cheers,
Joe

#13 ·
I have a similar problem with the PTR CT I made a thread of those issues here
https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/490700-ptr-9ct-ptr-601-sb-brace-problem.html

I too was disappointed with how tight the rear take down pin was to remove in my PTR 601. I had to use hard swings with a plastic mallet to get the pin in and out, harder to installed the SB Brace. As mentioned in my thread the SB brace was on so tight that it was causing A pinching effect on the the back frame of the gun. That cause the bolt group to hang up after being fired. In other words the bolt wouldn't return forward after firing. I took it to a gun shop who called PTR who gave a remedy. So far I haven't gotten it back yet. I hope that corrects the problem. Regardless because of that, I am still disappointed in PTR. I understand SB Brace is an after market accessory , but they should have known about that damn take down pin being ridiculously difficult to remove.
I own an HK SP5sk and the difference between the PTR 601 really shows.
I would be reluctant to buy another PTR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.