Thread protector loose (Zenith 5RS)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread protector loose (Zenith 5RS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thread protector loose (Zenith 5RS)

Hey everyone. Just got my Zenith Z-5RS last week ("May" batch, if interested). I noticed that the thread protector comes loose fairly easily. I'll hand tighten it down, and after LARPing around my house for a bit with it, I'll find that it has come loose. Put about 150 rounds through it, slow fire, at the range the other day and it also became loose with that (obviously right, if it comes loose playing basement commando).

This is the first firearm I've owned with exposed threads (no flash hider etc) so I was wondering what the fix would be. I do not want to add a flash hider at this time. A suppressor is several months down the road. What are some methods to secure the thread protector so it will not become loose during firing, but still allow me to remove it without major gun-smithing down the road.

Thanks in advance!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Rubber oring of the appropriate diameter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd send them a email or call and they would most likely mail you a new thread protector under warranty. Also is your suppressor going to be threaded on? If so I'd would go to the gunshop and have it threaded on to make sure its going to stay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine is loose too. I have no idea how to secure it. Locktite??

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Thread protectors shooting loose is fairly common, especially on handguns. Some people remove the thread protectors when shooting, or add a viton o-ring between the barrel shoulder and TP (some TPs come with o-rings). And yes, when shooting a right hand thread suppressor, they sometimes have to be retightened (although you’d have to be pretty inattentive to let it completely unthread). If you don’t have a can yet and just want to keep the TP on, blue loctite should be good enough and easy enough to break off when you do get a can.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwillHK View Post
    Thread protectors shooting loose is fairly common, especially on handguns. Some people remove the thread protectors when shooting, or add a viton o-ring between the barrel shoulder and TP (some TPs come with o-rings). And yes, when shooting a right hand thread suppressor, they sometimes have to be retightened (although you’d have to be pretty inattentive to let it completely unthread). If you don’t have a can yet and just want to keep the TP on, blue loctite should be good enough and easy enough to break off when you do get a can.
    Loctite crossed my mind, but I figured the barrel would be getting so hot it would be pointless. Maybe it'll hold as long as no twisty pressure is applied. I'll give it a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    Rubber oring of the appropriate diameter?
    Do you mean instead of the thread protector, or to use the oring to somehow keep it on? There would be no way to put it on the end that matters, its flush with the crown =\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpoilerMP5 View Post
    Loctite crossed my mind, but I figured the barrel would be getting so hot it would be pointless. Maybe it'll hold as long as no twisty pressure is applied. I'll give it a go.
    I put loctite on my Z5P. The other day, I forgot a part and needed to direct thread my Omega 9k. Shot it a bunch to heat it up and still could not get the thread protector off. That's after hundreds of rounds through the gun with the can attached via QD. I think I put the medium grade thread locker on. A torch would probably heat it enough to get it off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Rocksett.
    It’s impervious to heat and water soluble.
    I did mine as a precaution since it lives inside of a suppressor and don’t want it coming loose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use red locktite on my z5rs, never comes loose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links