Safety lever extremely stiff

Thread: Safety lever extremely stiff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Safety lever extremely stiff

So in my quest to become 922(r) compliant (praise the all-knowing BATFE) before my Form 1 is approved I ordered the following parts off HKParts.net

Ambi trigger pack - https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...dproduct=18269

Ambi selector - https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...dproduct=17229

Ambi grip housing - https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/view...dproduct=18196

I watched the HK Parts YouTube video about installing ambi triggers, and after about an hour, I was finally able to get it on correctly. At least I was able to rotate it into the safe position. To throw the switch between safe and semi takes a very concerted effort. Like, my thumb cannot flip it safe or to fire on its own. It is extremely difficult, very very tight. Are new trigger packs/safety levers tight like this and require time to break in? The SEF pack that came with the gun was stiff, but nothing like this.

Also, the trigger housing is bowed in. Like, if you were to look at it from above without the trigger pack in, it kinda looks like )( . Shouldn’t the sides of the “lower receiver” be straight? It was difficult to get the trigger pack in, and is my main theory as to why the safety catch is so hard to throw.

Still super new to MP5s so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well, no. The grip frame shouldn't be bowed at all. But that's not affecting the selector. You could bend the tab in a bit, but I'd let nature take it's course. Just work the hell out of it while watching Last Man Standing reruns or A war movie or 10. If you bend the tab, eventually you'll just be bending it back later and you might actually weaken the tab.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Try some lubrication. My US made ambi pack and German selector were very stiff together when I first installed it. I slathered some grease on the selector shaft and smoothed it right up.
    Last edited by Aphex; 06-21-2019 at 12:33 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Selector levers are different between plastic & metal lowers, maybe yours are mixed up?

Just a thought.

Dennis
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    Selector levers are different between plastic & metal lowers, maybe yours are mixed up?

Just a thought.

Dennis
    That is true for SEF trigger packs but not for the ambi trigger pack OP is talking about.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The parts looks like they are compatible. Remember that when putting the selectors in the pack (after depressing the lever inside the top of the pack), you need to "pinch" the left and right sides together (inboard) until they click. They move quite freely after that point.

Sponsored Links