#17 locking piece and Unsuppressed Fire
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HK91A2

Thread: #17 locking piece and Unsuppressed Fire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default #17 locking piece and Unsuppressed Fire

Hi everyone,

I have a Ptr91 K3P that I picked up a tax stamp for and turned into a G3k clone. I’ve been using a suppressor on it with a #17 with no problem.

It’s fun to fire it unsuppressed sometimes, but it is sluggish with its cycling. Is it safe for the gun if I use it without a suppressor? If my understanding is correct the #17 is going to keep it looked longer than a standard piece, which would explain why it’s sluggish with out the suppressor.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

Welcome to the site!!!
    I believe that the G3K uses a #18 LP (50 degrees)--- maybe one of our experienced builders can comment.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty sure you’re correct, although PTR might still be shipping them with a standard locking piece. The #17 is supposed to be the one to use for suppressed fire.

I just want to make sure I’m not doing any damage to the action if I switch between using a suppressor and not using a suppressor without swapping out locking pieces.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I put a #17 LP in my HK-91. I works great with the YHM Phantom. It does not cycle properly without the suppressor. Some have suggested that if you are going to shoot suppressed and non suppressed set up a second bolt carrier group (costs about $350 at HK parts)
    AGG likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Running a #17 (36 degree) unsuppressed will not damage your rifle in any way. If it cycles (some rifles might not), and you will discover that it's quite pleasant to shoot that way. The smaller angle just keeps the chamber closed for an extra couple of milliseconds which allows more propellant gas to exit the barrel before the action cycles. I grind custom locking pieces for my Cetme rifles and typically run my guns with 37 degree LPs because 37 degrees is pleasant to shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed. If I decide that I am only shooting suppressed I drop down to a 35 degree LP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perfect! Thanks for the help!
    At the moment it runs fine the the 36 degree piece, however I may look into picking up a dedicated bolt carrier for unsuppressed fire.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Seems like the money would be better spent elsewhere. It only takes a few minutes to change a locking piece, no tools required.

Sponsored Links