Which is the best MP5 Clone - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Which is the best MP5 Clone

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
    What is the total cost of a SP5k plus the B&T barrel swap, paddle mag release and other popular modifications installed by someone who knows what they are doing?
    Depends on exactly what you want done. The barrel is 400 bucks from hk parts for the B&T, you could go with a rcm barrel which is 120 to 140ish from robert rtg depending on if you want it threaded or not. The drop in paddle mag release is 130 bucks from hkparts for German parts, less if you use american. Labor for a barrel swap is going to be 300 to 400ish depending on gunsmith and they usually are not going to need to refinish the gun.

So on the lower side 600 bucks to have the parts swapped. A few of the gunsmiths have said in the past they will install the paddle mag release for free if you supply it when they do a barrel install if I'm not mistaken. The newer sp5k's have a blocking bar for the drop in kit but it shouldn't be much to have a smith remove that when they do the other work.

Now on the upper side. You are prob looking at 1000 to 1200 bucks in labor plus the barrel. I'm using TSC Machine's site for the pricing there but I know other smiths will be around the same(I'd recommend TSC). For that they will weld over the sp5k marking, clean it up and engrave mp5k or mp5k-n. They will install a paddle mag release(they supply it in that conversion I believe), install a barrel you supply, install the correct Doppler rear sight you provide if you want(vs the notched rear site it and most other k pistols come with), repark the gun, and refinish it with Cerakote in a nice black or something else if you want. I had them two two guns in burnt bronze and one in od green over the years.

Now if you really want to go nuts, find a mp5k-n barrel for like over 3 grand to have it installed in a gun. You could also buy a hk94 or mp5 barrel and have someone like tsc cut it down and install a 3lug over it making a mp5k-n barrel. That way you have a german barrel turned down to put on the german gun. The used barrel will run 250 to 300 bucks plus 400 to machine it down, add a new section to mount the front sight too, and add a 3 lug in either the 1/2x32 which is the german spec or 1/2x28(or just straight 3 lug).

So say 600ish for the basic swap, 1400 or 1500 for it being remarked and refinished with B&T barrel(and maybe the rear sight) where the gun is pretty much ready to be a semi auto clone with the right markings, a few hundred more with a cut down hk barrel, and a few thousand more if you want to use a real mp5-n barrel.

I haven't checked the prices but I think it was S&H that was welding a 3 lug onto the end of the factory barrel. That could be an option as well although personally I'd swap the barrel.

Edit: The SP5k itself will be like 2200 to 2700 new. I think it normally goes for around 2400 bucks now.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
    Yes you could get one for less than the cost of 2 I own but I in order for the SP5k to be the gun I want it to be I would have to put more $$ into it.
    I hear a lot of guys say this. I was saying it at one point. Then I got an SP5k. And all of a sudden .. I just didn't see the mods as that important. It's sweet as-is. At some point I will want a suppressor for it, and I'll have to rebarrel. But I can do that down the road.

As far as the numbers? It all depends on how patient you are, and how smart you shop.

$2500 for an SP5k? Sure -- if you get one NIB. But if you're planning to rebarrel, why would you even want NIB? I bought my SP5k used, with a small nick in the finish on the left hand side for $1800.

You could get a $400 B&T barrel. Or you could get a $170 RCM barrel. Ball-park on labor to install the barrel and refinish the gun? About $700.

So, the only way you're going to approach 3800 is if you buy NIB and go B&T. I got a heck of a deal on my sp5k, but I see used ones sell from time to time for $2000ish.

By my calculations, you could get a more budget oriented SP5k build going for 2900 or so.

But, like anything in this game, if you want it NOW you're going to pay more.
    Own: HK91, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, USP SD, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5? Assuming I can find an honest seller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HALO51 View Post
    I agree with AGG. I personally don't care for clones. If I can't have the real thing I don't want it.... Zenith and other's are wannabe"s...

If I can't have the real thing I don't want it. Like wearing a fake Rolex.
    For the Turkish and Pakistani armed forces they are the real thing, certainly not a clone. Is a FAL made in the UK or Argentina versus FN in Belgium a clone? Your analogy is fundamentally false in that the "fake" Rolex watches are not made with Rolex tooling nor are they licensed. If it makes you feel better to own a HK than more power to you.
    Last edited by Plutonius; 06-30-2019 at 01:01 AM.
    login_local, Rovertym and Rickys2 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

This is devolving into HK v. clone --- let us help the OP decide which clone is best!!!

Tony
    rellascout likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Since the MKE, & POF guns are built under license from HK, on HK machinery, they are not clones, but rather “contract” guns, & they can not be included in any HK vs clone discussion. That would be a HK vs contract guns discussion. GARY.
    rickj1nd and gt40doc like this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    Since the MKE, & POF guns are built under license from HK, on HK machinery, they are not clones, but rather “contract” guns, & they can not be included in any HK vs clone discussion. That would be a HK vs contract guns discussion. GARY.
    Now you did it... Lol
    rellascout likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    This is devolving into HK v. clone --- let us help the OP decide which clone is best!!!

Tony
    For me it is all about what you want to do with and what configuration you want. I think PTR, POF or Zenith MKE can all be good guns. They also can be not so good guns. I ordered mine because none were available to me locally. If I had to do it again I would have looked harder for a local shot that had a MKE and I would have gone and inspected it. I would have checked the finish, the magwell, the cocking tube, check the safety etc... I would then pic the best example they had if they had more than one. Unfortunately for many of us we have to order it and take our chances. If you have to order sight unseen look it over before you transfer the gun. If there are issues don't transfer it. Call the vendor on the spot and work it out.

We also have to remember that people posting on forums like this are the minority. We are not the majority of the people buy these guns. Also we hear a lot more from people having issues than people who simply picked up a gun and it runs 100% with no issues. For me Zenith MKE offered what I wanted in the configurations I wanted with enough positive reviews that I went that route. I am happy that I did even with a small bump in the road with the cocking tube.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    By your definition, there are no clones!!!
    Clones are "exact" copies--- so I will call them "contract clones".

Tony

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The PTR would be a clone. So would any TB gun, under the gun of the month name he chose to use. DT guns would also be clones. Any HK copy not authorized by HK is a clone. Any copy authorized by HK is a contract gun because it’s made with HK’s blessings. GARY.
    gt40doc likes this.

Banned

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have a rule never buy new release guns from PSA. Gen 2 and on are usually reliable. So if you are waiting for PSA expect to add six months after release date for it.

Still want to get a ak in 9mm from them now that they rereleased them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links