HKPRO Forums banner

2nd day at range not so good

5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Trumpisgreat16 
#1 ·
New ptr9ct. First quarter rounds ran great not one problem. Cleaned and Addis folding brace went back to the range. First 20 rounds great. Got two ftf. Next 20. Then on the next 10 gun jam bolt half back and could see casing down in the trigger housing? How did that happen. Could not get brace off it is kind of tight. So range trip cut short.

Took apart at home casing came out with bolt carrier.

Now I have been using all kinds of different ammo. Just seeing what it will shoot. 115,124,147.

Just really concerned how it got into the trigger housing? That kind of through me. I noticed it because I charged the gun and let go and it only went half back. Empty gun and shook it and headed a rattle. Got out flash light and could see it. Is this common?
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Airsoft

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't own a PTR, but do own two(2) MP5 clones, and what you are describing is quite common when there is a feed/extract problem. The first thing that I will recommend to you, after a good cleaning, is to check the extractor spring tension. You should not be able to raise the extractor in the bolt head without a fair amount of force. If the extractor moves easily, the spring is junk, and has to be replaced for normal functioning. To many of us here, this spring is THE weak point of the roller lock guns.....especially the MP5.

#6 ·
That was my first thought as well. Could also be the rubber buffer in the brace too.

Clean it up, put a new extractor spring in it (silver rifle model), put it back in original config and hit the range. If it runs well without the brace, check the fit of the brace and maybe contact the manufacturer. I've seen this before on my clones when switching between A2's and A3's from different makers.

#8 ·
I had to fit a folding brace adapter for my 52 to get it to fit. Probably an hour with a new sharp file. Could be your issue

#10 ·
it shouldnt be ammo sensitive . at least thats my stance.
remember once you have a bad jam or two.... check the extractor spring. it shouldnt be able to be moved by your thumb pressing hard on it. if it does then its loose/bent...and once bent it's toast and jams will continue until its replaced. you should be able to get a couple thou rnds or more out of a extractor spring imo. manual may say 500 or some bs and some folks never replace theirs- many thou rnds. But my experience has been a couple -few thou rnds is max life of them in my various mp5 guns.

the extractor spring should be your first thing to check once intermittent FTextract/ejects occur.

#19 ·
Thanks for the info! I figured I'll shoot until the SP5K jams then ask you guys for help. What's best, send it to @HKCS1 HK or replace the spring myself once the spring is bent? I probably have about 500 rounds on it and have shot from 115gr to 124gr. including hp without any fte,ftf. TIA

#13 ·
Sent back to ptr today. Could not get out of FTE. 2 PER 20 round mag. So far ptr has been great to deal with. Friendly. No questions just send it in. Emailed shipping label and drop off ups store and it’s gone. Miss it already. Hope it becomes reliable. Love the gun.

#14 ·
Pretty much the same thing here. Picked up a PTR and brace. Brace was very tight going on. Shot it and had the same problems. Put the cap back on and will function fire it tomorrow. Also had a live round and piece of brass in the trigger housing. Shots I did get to fire were accurate.

#15 ·
What you’re experiencing is pretty much the same thing I was. I had the brace on mine too but it wasn’t super tight, one tap of the hand and it went right on. When I first got mine, it had an extreme mag wobble and would FTE 3-4 every mag. Sent it to PTR they returned it with an entirely new bolt head, which had completely different markings from the original one I had and “adjusted” the magwell. Got it back and it still had a extreme mag wobble and FTE a few per mag. So I sent it back to them the day after I received it because I was super upset at this point. At this point because of the issues I was having due to me having to send it back a second time, I was now dealing with billy their national sales manager. I talked to him on the phone and he was telling me if they can’t fix the issue they would replace my gun with a new one. Well I ended up getting it back about a week later including shipping and they adjusted the magwell again(fixed it this time) and they said they adjusted the receiver, they said they had to mess with the receiver guide rails. They also told me that they only recommend shooting 124 gr brass out of the weapon to get reliable results. So got it back and purchased 124gr American Eagle and shot 120 rounds out of it with no issues. I also was told to use Winchester Nato spec ammo so I picked up a bunch of boxes of that. Never in my life have I dealt with a gun with reliability of this ****ty caliber before. The ONLY thing that made this situation decent was PTR Customer service being A+. I couldn’t imagine dealing with this if they weren’t readily willing to take their guns back in. The only thing that sucks issues It will take probably a couple thousand rounds with no failures for me to trust the gun again. Now everytime I look at the firearm, I ask myself is it going to jam for whatever reason, is their something wrong with the extractor etc etc. just kind of sucks but it’s still my favorite platform. I just got burned in my first one.

#16 ·
Ya same problems wild bill. I often had two spent rounds in housing and live round jam. The casings in housing were tough to get out. Not sure how they got in there. My brace was super tight. I sanded and grinned until I can get on with hand. Getting off is still have to give little taps to get off. Next to problems it is great to shoot when it works. It just a blast but frustrating.

#18 ·
Follow up-I ran out to the range today after work. I shot the PTR with only the end cap on. Basically no problems. I agree spending so much for a firearm that there should be no problems with it out of the box. I was shooting 115 grain bullets too! Chopperbobby, how much sanding did it take? ,

#22 · (Edited)
Sorry been away Not too much. I used a deremel with stone on it. when it got eaiser to slide on I used some fine sand paper to fine tune and smooth out. About 10 min.

Got it back today from ptr. They changed the Bolt Carrier, ejector and ejector spring. Wont get to range until later this week. Dont know what could have been wrong with the bolt carrier?

#20 ·
I had a similar problem. I started a thread here a few months ago.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/490700-ptr-9ct-ptr-601-sb-brace-problem.html

Here is the remedies I found. Taken from the last post of that thread.

It appears I got the problem remedied. The gun shop I took it to contacted PTR who recommended redrilling/widening the hole on the SB brace. They did that and the malfunction mentioned in the original posts has ceased. The push pin also is a lot easier to install and remove. I tried a variety of ammo it work flawlessly.

So it appears if anyone else is having this problem the two options are contact SB brace tactical and get replacement brace as mentioned above by islandfocus2. Or the second option is contact PTR as ask what the recommended size of the drill bit is needed to alleviate the problem. It might be easier contacting SB brace. I also heard they have updated their SB brace for this firearm so that might alleviate the problem altogether.

#23 ·
First day to the range after it returned from PTR. Not quite 300 round through it and not one hick-up. Was a dream to shoot. It shot anything I put in it. 115, 124, reloads, umc(yes even this crap). Supper fun Loved every minuet of it. Cleaned and will get back to range next week or two. See how it holds up.

#27 ·
Reading your issue of the spent case getting into the trigger, I had a similar issue with my 9ct.

Mine ran great for a while and then the ejection started getting weaker and I started having failures to eject and double feeds.

I put a new HK extractor spring in thinking that could be the issue, nope. Tried changing up the ammo, loading hot, low power and everything in between with different OAL and all.

I was still having the issues. I ended up contacting PTR and they sent me a label to send the gun into them.

They tested it and ended up replacing the bolt head. That fixed the problem 100%. It now runs anything I feed it, both suppressed and not. Ejection is stronger than ever and have not had a single issue in over 2k rounds now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.