For those with UMP's, which is the "better" route. Omega or HK parts kit? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: For those with UMP's, which is the "better" route. Omega or HK parts kit?

  1. #11
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member

    Join Date : Jul 2009
    Posts : 406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I plan on going the 45 route. My biggest thing is I want the barrel threaded for a suppressor. I know the HDPS has that available but at the same time it seems it would be "easier" to go the demilled route....minus the fact the factor barrel isnt threaded. I guess I will email ADCO and see if milling that ridge off and threading would be an option.

    What parts does Omega use for their pistol version? Seems like $1800 would be hard to beat for a complete gun vs their receiver at $725 and a demilled kit around $1500, then $100 to get the barrel milled.
    Last edited by aziroc; 07-21-2019 at 01:02 AM.

  2. #12
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Nzfly's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 1,896
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Default

    Tom’s KSM will not be made from the Omega mold. It will be a new mold from the ground up.

  3. #13
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    ccosby's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Location : Virginia
    Posts : 514
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    Tom’s KSM will not be made from the Omega mold. It will be a new mold from the ground up.
    The atlantic photos showed the omega symbol above the made in the usa on the tommy built guns.



    Now it wouldn't surprise me if Todd Bailey made a new updated set of molds for Tom. In the end though Both Wade and Tom are going to be getting a lot of stuff from Todd.

    Are you sure whoever is doing the injection molding isn't just doing it for both of them(if its like the t36 choate is doing it but I don't know if either Wade or Tom's ump receivers are marked with their info).

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Nzfly's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 1,896
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    The atlantic photos showed the omega symbol above the made in the usa on the tommy built guns.



    Now it wouldn't surprise me if Todd Bailey made a new updated set of molds for Tom. In the end though Both Wade and Tom are going to be getting a lot of stuff from Todd.

    Are you sure whoever is doing the injection molding isn't just doing it for both of them(if its like the t36 choate is doing it but I don't know if either Wade or Tom's ump receivers are marked with their info).
    That Atlantic gun isn’t one of the new ones Tom will be releasing.

    Todd isn’t the mold maker.

    Choate doing the injection molding? What is your point? Choate has a seriously expensive machine. A mold gets placed inside. Out comes magic. The early T36 also had Choate because the marking variance was not approved at the time of the run.

  6. #15
    Senior Member

    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 109
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Any speculative conversation about the origins of tooling/molds is a bit strange given the facts that are known. I suggest that it would be an implausible theory where company "a", already having an established partnership, product development and design cycle, and supply infrastructure with company "b" decides that, for no known reason (no history of failure, parts interchangeability, design issues, supply issues, ETC) would decide to randomly forgo that relationship and invest heavily into what would effectively be redundant tooling. The market is already supplied product... the product is perfectly functional... and Tommy influenced the design of the original product. What we do know, from history, is that TB has a tendancy to change things up, frequently which is why his recievers have been used in literally dozens of companies final product.

    People need to let go of the TB history debates and defensiveness that ultimate degenerate and redirect almost every conversation that occurs about clones. TB invested in tooling, and drew upon resources that had experience... aligned himself with those resources to create a supply chain, and that alliance delivered some pretty neat stuff more approachable for people that would have not previously been able to afford them.

    IS Wade working with his brother? Is Tommy going to remake tooling from the ground up to fill a void in the market that doesn't exist? Who cares? Do you want the product? Does it have an associated with a builder, or supplier, or vendor that you trust and beleive will stand behind it? THAT is what is important.

    Wade has been responsive, helpful and has an established track record for standing behind his product
    Atlantic does as well
    Tommybuilt does as well

    My personal opinion, to the OP, would be to choose what you want to choose... for ME, I would save the money, buy an Omega receiver, ala carte the internals, probably use as much HK as I could find/afford in the process and enjoy the weapon at the range, using the money I saved to buy some ammo.

    Nothing personal to those who are invested in further tooling and origins story debates...I'm just an old guy, now...and I have been watching these debates unfold for, crap, almost 15 years now

  7. #16
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Nzfly's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 1,896
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RollerLOCKED View Post
    Any speculative conversation about the origins of tooling/molds is a bit strange given the facts that are known. I suggest that it would be an implausible theory where company "a", already having an established partnership, product development and design cycle, and supply infrastructure with company "b" decides that, for no known reason (no history of failure, parts interchangeability, design issues, supply issues, ETC) would decide to randomly forgo that relationship and invest heavily into what would effectively be redundant tooling. The market is already supplied product... the product is perfectly functional... and Tommy influenced the design of the original product. What we do know, from history, is that TB has a tendancy to change things up, frequently which is why his recievers have been used in literally dozens of companies final product.

    People need to let go of the TB history debates and defensiveness that ultimate degenerate and redirect almost every conversation that occurs about clones. TB invested in tooling, and drew upon resources that had experience... aligned himself with those resources to create a supply chain, and that alliance delivered some pretty neat stuff more approachable for people that would have not previously been able to afford them.

    IS Wade working with his brother? Is Tommy going to remake tooling from the ground up to fill a void in the market that doesn't exist? Who cares? Do you want the product? Does it have an associated with a builder, or supplier, or vendor that you trust and beleive will stand behind it? THAT is what is important.

    Wade has been responsive, helpful and has an established track record for standing behind his product
    Atlantic does as well
    Tommybuilt does as well

    My personal opinion, to the OP, would be to choose what you want to choose... for ME, I would save the money, buy an Omega receiver, ala carte the internals, probably use as much HK as I could find/afford in the process and enjoy the weapon at the range, using the money I saved to buy some ammo.

    Nothing personal to those who are invested in further tooling and origins story debates...I'm just an old guy, now...and I have been watching these debates unfold for, crap, almost 15 years now
    For what it is worth, my answers are not speculation. I agree with your points.

  8. #17
    Senior Member

    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 109
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I also agree that competition in the industry is good... so I hope other people DO make tooling because the ultimate end product will probably benefit me at the range...hAHAHAHA

  9. #18
    HKPRO Professional

    Join Date : Jul 2003
    Posts : 1,116
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Where did we learn that there are a new series of KSM guns that will have a different (new mold) receiver?

  10. #19
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    kbinmt's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Location : Big Sky Country
    Posts : 2,618
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fargo007 View Post
    Where did we learn that there are a new series of KSM guns that will have a different (new mold) receiver?
    I don't think that's what we learned. My understanding is that he KSMs are exclusive to Atlantic, and built by TBT. I also understand that mods are made to the GS receiver, particularly to function reliably as a 9mm.

    Tom Bostic has said he is coming out with a receiver. Whether those are used on future KSM guns is speculation, but a reasonable assumption IMO

  11. #20
    Member
    TarawaS2000's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bangbangduck View Post
    I have not dealt with any of the Omega receivers, however I did have ADCO cut and thread the original 16" USC HK Barrel to 7" for $75 plus shipping. ADCO does fantastic work and it was about a one week turnaround.

    I personally would stick to HK (best) or HDPS barrels.

    Also, in my opinion a 7" barrel looks a lot better than the 7.87" barrels, despite 7.87" being the official length. 7.87" barrels don't look right without the HK mounting donut, and whatever muzzle device you install ends up sticking out much further with the longer barrel.

    Just chiming in so you are aware of your options, and hopefully save you some hassle in the future.

    Edit: Also my HDPS barrel would refuse to feed the top round of any fully loaded magazine, so I would have to "down load" to 24 rounds. With the USC barrel (that has the little ramp), fully loaded rounds feed no problem.
    I sent my USC barrel ADCO after my stamp came back and they did a phenomenal job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •