POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?

I just picked up a POF-5 and have an issue I believe is related to the ejector.

My first trip to the range the other day went well except the first round did not want to go into full battery when releasing the cocking lever every time. It ran fine and chewed up and spit out all the rounds I fed it once the first round of each mag would chamber properly. I figured I had a weak recoil spring or there was something causing the bolt to drag when releasing the cocking lever on the first round...

I took it out again today to finish break-in and adjust the rear sight and had a different issue. Twice a spent casing was fighting for space with a fresh round causing the bolt to lock open. I decided to do a close inspection since I have about 400 rds through it the last couple trips and found the following:

1-The ejector appears bent to the left side. (I can only find a couple images of an ejector online from the front, and they all appear to be at a 90 degree angle).

2-The ejector appears to be touching the left side of the bolt notch/groove it rides in when I checked it tonight.

3-The ejector appears to be worn/peened on the top from dragging hard on the bolt groove it rides in.

4-The plate (tab/shelf) in the trigger group that keeps the ejector from wiggling side to side is worn already towards the upward portion of the ejector's travel, allowing for some side to side wiggle.

I'd like to see if it's worth fixing the issue by bending the ejector back to 90 degrees, or filing the left side down some before the wear becomes catastrophic and requires a warranty return. It's obvious the top of the ejector should be filed down a hair as well. Spending more money on replacement parts is not an option right now, and I'm pretty handy with a file when need be. I will update some parts down the road when I can. For now I'd like to get this to where it will eat a couple thousand rounds reliably without going down that rabbit hole, or bugging Atlantic about a warranty issue if I can fix it with a file for less than the cost of shipping or FFL fees. From my testing the shelf in the trigger group isn't worn down to the point where it will allow the ejector to jump out of the groove the opposite direction, but any more shooting and I will probably ruin that part which does not seem easy to repair...

Any Suggestions?

BTW, thanks for this awesome forum, I never would have gotten this far troubleshooting if it wasn't for all the threads that popped up on my internet searches from HKPro!

POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?-img_0054.png
    POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?-img_0055.png
    POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?-img_0056.png
    POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?-img_0057.png
    POF-5 Ejector Issue/Question?-img_0058.png

As a side note, the paint does scuff easily and the front sight is canted a little, but I was able to zero it just fine and didn't buy this to show off at BBQs! It is very accurate and shoots like a dream when it works right!
    Last edited by ThatDude; 07-19-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’ve decided to reach out to atlantic. They are pretty awesome so any suggestions they have will be considered. Fingers crossed I can find an inexpensive and swift resolution because it’s way too fun to shoot, and ammo for it is very affordable.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Atlantic is your smartest option.

The ejector is bent a little and the trigger frame allows it some slop in it's travel. My own POF was replaced because of persistent malfunctions. The replacement test fired perfectly fine but even it's trigger group/box had issues with the ejector fit so I actually ended up replacing it as a complete unit with an MKE box and installed a German ejector. On this box I tweaked the box just a hair to allow smooth and burr free movement of the ejector and the gun has ran flawlessly since. But I still originally had Atlantic handle the original problem gun and they did very well with the customer service and communication in spite of a short delay due to someone being on vacation.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the insight. Atlantic responded quickly, probably because they rock! Email sent to the importer at their advice, and we will see what happens next. I guess I will have to be more patient and diligent inspecting it if they repair / replace. I should have known this was possible based on all the roller locker threads I’ve read over the years from all the different manufacturers. I was hoping for the best at the lowest price I’ve seen, and really don’t want to have to buy a bunch of parts right off the bat... When it works right, it shoots like I had hoped for if not better, and once sorted it may graduate from range toy to a viable defensive tool.

Edited to add: I believe the trigger pack was actually very tight at the ejector originally, and was only worn down at the top of the ejectors travel based on either the bent ejector or another issue I am not yet aware of. I’ve been fixing my own small arms for a while when needed and slowly running the bolt back and forth I can see why all the finish is removed in the places it was, just wish I knew why...
    Last edited by ThatDude; 07-21-2019 at 03:24 AM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When you get into building hk's from parts kits, you learn real quick with the ejector...

When not using a factory Hk ejector, you have to massage them... I've used Pof surplus ejectors and I usually have to slightly bend and or file to make sure they ride in the bolt properly.

Your going to send your gun back for something they wil bend or swap with another ejector lever.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThatDude View Post
    Edited to add: I believe the trigger pack was actually very tight at the ejector originally,.....
    ..... I’ve been fixing my own small arms for a while when needed and slowly running the bolt back and forth I can see why all the finish is removed in the places it was, just wish I knew why...
    I also work on most of my own stuff, within my knowledge limits.
    My original was also very stiff, had to message the trigger box just a bit to get it to move freely. All along I had been corresponding with AA and sending them pics of what I was seeing and what I had done to try to correct the issue. In the end my knowledge of these things wasn't enough to get it running so I returned it to AA at their suggestion. They must have had a similar experience because they replaced it.
    It was frustrating because I've been dabbling with these for the better part of 20 years. Even had an SW5 I got to work 99 rounds out of 100 from about a 50/50 success/fail. For the record I sent it off to IGF (2002) to get that last 1% running. He replaced the extractor and returned working exactly as it had when I sent it, 99%. Did nothing for the gun.

IMO, you did good contacting AA. With the focus of problem being on the ejector and bolt head there may well be something somewhere you haven't noticed that could end up being a repair you can't make or don't want to try. Letting other experienced eyes take a look at the problem is often a good move and assuming they'll simply replace the ejector, as someone mentioned, is very premature and something I'd ignore.
    Up until now I've never heard of them suggesting the owner contact the importer so this will be interesting to see, how it works out. But you got the ball rolling in the right direction. Maybe the importer can replace or send replacement parts? Regardless of how it goes, in the end, if the gun still has unresolved problems, I have all the confidence in the world AA will make it right.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Over the years of offering the POF MP5 pistols we have seen quite a few issues solved with installation of a new HK Ejector lever

Atlantic Firearms.com
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Atlantic! Fedarm responded quickly and exhibited the same great customer service you do! They even called to go over their process with me. RMA received the same day and it’s on it’s way back to be looked over and repaired / replaced and so far no additional cost to myself.

Anything mechanical can have issues, it’s this level of customer service that keeps me coming back to buy from great companies like you!

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms.com View Post
    Over the years of offering the POF MP5 pistols we have seen quite a few issues solved with installation of a new HK Ejector lever

You would think after the years,your vendors would get something as simple as an ejector lever right...

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socalmp5 View Post
    You would think after the years,your vendors would get something as simple as an ejector lever right...
    Zing!!!!

But seriously, this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links