BRN4 CAG Build
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: BRN4 CAG Build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default BRN4 CAG Build

Just got some parts back from being tanodized and though I would post a pic. Both the upper and lower (obviously) are from brownells. The upper is a tad lighter than the lower but apparently that's common and even SCARS have the same issue during manufacturing, not sure why. I had a charging handle and buffer tube anodized as well. The charging handle came out great but the buffer tube basically went from a gloss black to a matte blackish grey. There were a few anodizing imperfections on the upper. Not sure if its from the upper itself or the anodize process. But I plan on using the thing so oh well. Next stop is the engraver. I plan on scraping and repainting the selectors once I get it back from there. Then its just a matter of waiting for the rest of the parts to show up and not get divorced buying all this stuff.

If anybody has an extra bushing for the upper lying around they are willing to part with please let me know. I jacked mine up taking it off to be sent out.

Here it is with a quick mock up with the geiselle HG/ buffer tube, hk pistol grip, and hk trigger guard to get an idea of the coloring.

BRN4 CAG Build-ljhu6hx.jpg
    IsaacL, UMP45 ENTRY, AGG and 4 others like this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

This looks very cool. I'm working a Brownell/HK build as well and I've been thinking about do this. Did you find a local shop or send it off? How much did this set you back if you don't mind me asking?
    Happiness is a warm gun.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)

Looking great thus far!!!

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Same here interested in prices and who did the job ? Looks nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It seems a bit dark no?
    It resembles the HK416A5 finish very well. I think it looks great but the 416D CAG receivers were a light yellow/green like alodine.
    Did they dye these?

I am in contact with a few anodizers trying to see who will do the work

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

"Amat victoria curam"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have seen what appears to be both dark and a lighter color. I think this best explains the possible reason.
    https://geissele.com/desert-dirt-color-ddc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That explanation for DDC from Geissele really relates to the outcomes of all anodizing, in general. Variance is impossible to avoid, even if you are able/want to tightly control things.

For these HK guns there are dark ones and light ones, with tons of color variation, which points to them being less concerned about the color outcome. From batch to batch, HK may or may not have used some small amount of dye; this, along with all the variance in base-metallurgy composition, ano tank conditions, and time, makes it so HK’s overall outcomes are quite broad.

Yours are pretty dark; look a good bit like Geissele’s DDC. Was this what you were trying for? Any reason you chose to use the Brownell’s receivers and the Geissele receiver extension for a clone?
    aksog likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the comment. That's my understanding regarding the anodizing process as well.

I didn't ask or try for light or dark, I had seen both and would be happy either way. It looks lighter under certain light conditions as well as that was taken in a pretty poorly lit garage at night. I went with the brownells really for no other reason than I got them for a good price and didn't mind if they got jacked up trying to do this and would be perfectly happy if they did come out ok. I will likely do at least one more once I move out of my current state which appears to be in the imminent future.

I'm using HK parts, I just threw that stuff together for a picture to show the color variation before it went out to the laser engraver.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cool. Excited to see your results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links