Major problem with PTR 91 bolt heads - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Major problem with PTR 91 bolt heads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PTR has been very prompt and helpful in this matter to a point. The problem is they really have nothing to offer. It is a great accurate rifle. They just do not have a handle on the high stress parts situation. My PTR hammer showed signs of disfigurement after only 500 rounds. My PTR firing pin was starting to mushroom at the same time. After changing to a HK trigger pack, firing pin, locking piece, and bolt head, I have gone another 2,000 rounds slow, fast, and mag dump speed. Again NO issues. Why would I want to replace the 3rd bolt head with another PTR and try again. What is it they say is the loudest sound during a gunfight.....CLICK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wise man. I spent the money to replace all of the high stress parts with HK or HK contract parts. The rifle is stone cold reliable now. No interest in playing parts roulette with PTR even for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is what I advised PTR's management. I was 0 for 2 and the replacement bolt head looked worse than the first one. It had a crinkled, frosted stain or discoloration on the outside and the firing pin would not protrude enough to fire the cartridge. I have no desire to go through their parts bin until I find one that works. I sent Robert at RTG a few bucks for decent parts. I have moved on and am very happy with the rifle now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkshooterusp View Post
    How about he just enjoy his rifle and leave parts nazi to the ATF, eh?
    I wonder if any ATF agent has ever been to a range or a house or a gun store and inspected a clone or an HK and even knows enough to identify German vs American parts? I have lots of both and there are no Made in Germany or Made in USA stampings on anything except perhaps receivers and barrels...? Has anyone heard of anyone ever having an ATF agent write someone up for not having enough USA parts in an HK, HK clone, Kriss Vector, Evo or anything? Do they even have laser metallurgy test instruments that can compare and identify the specific makeup of metals and where they came from? We had a $40,000 machine like that at the fire station to help identify drugs and possible toxic compounds and liquids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great point. I always said if you are to the point where the government has taken the time to do an anal probe of your weapons / ammo, you must have done something FAR worse to get their attention. If I have the ATF or FBI at my house, having a German extractor and spring are the least of my worries.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We have ATF agents at some of the local gun shows. Being a vendor at these shows, I’ve chatted with them. The last thing they care about is the 922 parts count. They are there to look for multiple purchasers buying one gun at a time from a dozen vendors, & make straw sales the next day. They could care less if Joe Blow removed a USA pistol grip, & substituted it with a real one. GARY.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah that’s what I meant is have PTR pay postage.

I had a PTR I had to send back a few times that PTR payed for and eventually sent back a new rifle. It would rip projectiles apart when clearing a round from the chamber, and jam every round.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    We have ATF agents at some of the local gun shows. Being a vendor at these shows, I’ve chatted with them. The last thing they care about is the 922 parts count. They are there to look for multiple purchasers buying one gun at a time from a dozen vendors, & make straw sales the next day. They could care less if Joe Blow removed a USA pistol grip, & substituted it with a real one. GARY.
    In this political climate... and how a guy was raided for buying for hi-cap mags... it wouldn't suprise me if the atf busted someone on 922r and be national headlines "man uses illegal foreign made assault rifle parts to build a ghost gun, while using the loophole to have a small number of us made parts as the work around" and the. Spin it on is... like they do..
    barrington likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links