Major problem with PTR 91 bolt heads
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Major problem with PTR 91 bolt heads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Major problem with PTR 91 bolt heads

I recently purchased a new PTR GI rifle. After only 50 rounds I started to have FTE issues. I took the bolt head and trigger pack out to inspect. There was a chipped section in the groove where the ejector slides. It looked like a saw tooth instead of square. I called PTR and after much back and forth agreed to exchange just the bolt head without sending in the entire rifle. I swapped out the bolt head with a spare from RTG and went through the day without issues. The next trip I put in a British Enfield contract bolt head. again shot all day with no problems. Yesterday I received the replacement bolt head from PTR. It had a strange discoloring on the outside. I installed it and, click. The round chambered, went into battery, but no mark on primer. I repeated this 5 times with the same result. i again put in 2 different bolt heads and no issues. After taking it home to clean I tried to manually slide the firing pin through the hole in the locking piece. It went almost through but stopped just shy of protruding past the bolt face. It goes in just far enough to allow the bolt head to be installed but not far enough to reach the primer. Attached is a pic of the 1st failed PTR bolt head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Major problem with PTR 91 bolt heads-inked102_0549_li.jpg  

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sad. When they started making guns in Ct, they [JLD] used real, imported contract bolts, & carriers. HK, POF, FMP, etc. Never any problems. But the supply of surplus parts dwindled, so they make them now. Seems to be the weak link in an otherwise fine gun. Just use one of the real bolts you already own, & call it a day. GARY.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I agree with the guys above, just use your known good part and move on, after checking bolt gap, of course.
    But I'd still like to see you keep the thread updated on PTR's performance in solving the issue. For the record.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice. I am at combined 1200 rounds with the RTG made bolt head / Enfield bolt head with zero issues. I have replaced the trigger pack, bolt head, locking piece, firing pin, and spring with HK parts. At 100 % reliability now. Shame to have to spend a few hundred after buying a new gun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Keep an eye on your imported parts count.

http://922r.com/
    Last edited by barrington; 08-18-2019 at 06:41 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

How about he just enjoy his rifle and leave parts nazi to the ATF, eh?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I could care less what any one has on their rifles, legal or not.

I would have sent in the PTR a million times until the rifle came back functional.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ugadaba View Post
    I recently purchased a new PTR GI rifle. After only 50 rounds I started to have FTE issues. I took the bolt head and trigger pack out to inspect. There was a chipped section in the groove where the ejector slides. It looked like a saw tooth instead of square. I called PTR and after much back and forth agreed to exchange just the bolt head without sending in the entire rifle. I swapped out the bolt head with a spare from RTG and went through the day without issues. The next trip I put in a British Enfield contract bolt head. again shot all day with no problems. Yesterday I received the replacement bolt head from PTR. It had a strange discoloring on the outside. I installed it and, click. The round chambered, went into battery, but no mark on primer. I repeated this 5 times with the same result. i again put in 2 different bolt heads and no issues. After taking it home to clean I tried to manually slide the firing pin through the hole in the locking piece. It went almost through but stopped just shy of protruding past the bolt face. It goes in just far enough to allow the bolt head to be installed but not far enough to reach the primer. Attached is a pic of the 1st failed PTR bolt head.
    Welcome to the site--- have PTR send another bolt head, or use your replacements!!!
    This is one of many reasons that I do not buy "newly-manufactured".

Tony

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    Keep an eye on your imported parts count.

Section 922(r) Parts Count
    Made in the USA!!!

Tony

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slytiger View Post
    Yeah, I could care less what any one has on their rifles, legal or not.

I would have sent in the PTR a million times until the rifle came back functional.
    Negative--- why be without the rifle for days (or weeks)???
    I would have PTR continue to pay postage until it sent a functional bolt head.

Tony
    hansellhd2 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links