No straight answer on US made bolt heads
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lumbergh

Thread: No straight answer on US made bolt heads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No straight answer on US made bolt heads

I purchased a PTR 91 GI a few weeks back and wanted to replace the high stress parts with HK or HK contract parts. I want to know why there is such a swirl of mystery on who the actual manufacturer is of these "made in US" G3 bolt heads. When shopping for any item I as a consumer want to make a comparison between the manufacturers reputation and the asking price. We all know that a NIB HK 91 factory bolt head will cost a ton. But we know who makes it and can make a value judgement. If you like Pakistani parts over Nigerian, go for it. Prefer Enfield HK contract parts, even better. But why will neither of the main suppliers of HK / Clone parts list who actually makes them? Made in US is pretty broad. And we all know that parts like the bolt head must be properly made and heat treated. So why the mystery / secrecy? I would pay much more for a M14 op rod made by TRW than I would Bob's Machine Shop. Both are made in US. If anybody out there knows the actual manufacturer and reputation of the US made bolt heads offered out there I would really appreciate the knowledge. Thanks to all.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Some times it is to protect their supply chain. Some times its a non competition agreement and to avoid others reaching out to the maker for the same product.

Sometimes the subcontractor disagrees with the specs to make the parts and has an agreement with those ordering from them not to release their name since they do not want it to damage their reputation for producing something made from a softer metal or not getting a final heat treatment that would have improved both the quality and the end costs.
    That said I do not know who makes their stuff but do know of similar situations with other makers where the manufacturer would only do the run specified that way if their name is never released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate the info, makes sense. How do you judge if what you are buying is quality? If unknown maker what reputation can they be judged by? I bought one of the no name bolt heads from RTG 2 weeks ago and have put 1000 rounds through it without issue. Gap is well within parameters, all small parts are HK or contract, for $ 99.00 out the door. Robert assured me that even though he will not disclose the actual maker, he stands by the product. His word has been gold for me during my prior deals with him. The other people I do not know. I guess stick with what you know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    Some times it is to protect their supply chain. Some times its a non competition agreement and to avoid others reaching out to the maker for the same product.

Sometimes the subcontractor disagrees with the specs to make the parts and has an agreement with those ordering from them not to release their name since they do not want it to damage their reputation for producing something made from a softer metal or not getting a final heat treatment that would have improved both the quality and the end costs.
    That said I do not know who makes their stuff but do know of similar situations with other makers where the manufacturer would only do the run specified that way if their name is never released.
    This covers a lot of it. They also might multi source parts from multiple machine shops due to supply concerns, fighting over cost, etc. For what its worth the standard the subcontractor normally makes the same style part at might not be to the level the maker(in this case ptr) wants and they by contract get better parts(which in this case probability doesn't apply).

In many cases it will be because they want the ability to multi source parts without people bitching. At the end of the day you are trusting the quality overall of the brand you are buying and using their reputation. Same if you source stand alone parts from a vendor. In hkparts case we know that most of the parts that do not have a mfg listed are made by Todd Bailey. But turning to a far more complicated area look at ar15's. Rainier arms has a very good reputation for their inhouse branded stuff. Who makes their barrels for them and is it more than one vendor? Centurion arms is the same way. The barrels are awesome but they are at least getting blanks from someone. Does it really matter as long as it meets the specs they are known for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Save yourself some time and money. Don’t bother replacing anything unless you have problems with it. Quality on US made parts is a lot better now than the SW parts that were out 10 years ago. I have a PTR91 and I have zero issues with it. Go to the range and shoot it before you start replacing stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am glad that you have had good luck with yours. I am retired and blessed with open desert to the horizon around my house. I shoot thousands of rounds every month. I had multiple FTE on the first 100 rounds. On inspection the bolt head channel for the ejector was chipped in a sawtooth pattern. The replacement bolt head sent to me by PTR was worse than the one that came with the gun. It was milled so badly that the firing pin would not protrude all the way through. I had mushrooming of the firing pin base at round 500. The hammer was already showing abnormal wear at round 1000 . I replaced the trigger pack, bolt head, and locking piece. I am now on round 2,500 after the swap without any further issues.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Please don't take this wrong, but how many threads are you going to open about Enfield G3 Bolt heads?

I see at least 3 in the most casual glance.

Just saying.

YMMV.

(You can never have too many spares, but still...)
    Last edited by Lumbergh; 08-21-2019 at 04:16 AM.
    barrington likes this.
    "Amat victoria curam"

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was under the impression JLD/PTR bought all the machinery to make a G-3. So I thought they made their own bolt heads, but maybe sent them out to be case hardened. I’d take POF over USA any day. GARY.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    I was under the impression JLD/PTR bought all the machinery to make a G-3. So I thought they made their own bolt heads, but maybe sent them out to be case hardened. I’d take POF over USA any day. GARY.
    They bought FMP contract tooling from Portugal.

Sponsored Links