HKPRO Forums banner

Omega Gideon Shadow 45acp vs Tommy Built Tactical KSM 45

9K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Blacktoy 
#1 ·
Hello
Just thinking for now, but lots of knowledge on this forum...
Any thoughts or opinions?
Or go the USC Conversion route?

Thanks for any input!
Bob H.

#2 ·
Personally for me. I wanted an HK gun with HK parts and just add the few us parts to be compliant(stuff with the magazine and my muzzle device). You can buy the USC and get the ump stub fuse but overall I feel the USC route is the most authentic feel because the Germans are the one producing the gun,not a us made receiver. But if Tommy is producing the receiver and building the gun, it’s gonna be to the German standards no matter what. He just did my USC Conversion total cost at around $2600 including the tax stamp . Also something about the Gideon shadow and people putting a pistol brace on it just doesn’t feel right. It was built as a rifle, just complete the look and put the factory buttstock on there, stop being cheap with the brace

#6 ·
I respectfully disagree about the brace. A non-nfa option that allows for interstate travel without atf approval is a plus. A pistol is a much more liquid asset if you chose to sell. Once SBR'd, even if removed from registry, a gun with somebody's form4 info engraved on it is much less desirable.

A USC>>UMP with a 16" barrel and 922r parts is no closer to a UMP than a US receiver pistol with German components.

I for one have German parts waiting for TBT to release his receiver so I can build a pistol.

#4 ·
I'd go with Tom's for nothing else than not having a really stupid model name marked on the side of the gun.

Past that the pics I've seen of toms guns show them using the same receivers down to having the omega mark on them. I've seen someone make the claim that his new ones are using different receivers though, both toms and omega's guns are going to be using gsg9 parts for the most part so they should be similar. I'd rather go with Tom's QC and customer service though.

#5 ·
Very good point lol I forgot that Gideon shadow is on the receiver. You should narrow it down to just Tom or usc conversion and also don’t forget tommy can remark the USC to have all the marking of an UMP and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference besides the rear plate unless you got the fuse.

#7 ·
Pistol braces are becoming more and more of a hassle with the national spotlight to include being able to no longer use a vertical grip on almost all pistol brace weapons. A lot of people are predicting more rule changes to the pistol braces that’s gonna leave a lot of people in a bind and running to the hills to form 1 their weapon. And a USC conversion is closer to an UMP than a us made receiver due to the fact that the most important piece of the gun is German and all you have to do is cut the German barrel down to proper size. I personally like knowing my receiver is genuine HK but tommy is also not a bad alternative at all. Nothing wrong with pistol braces, just saying oh here’s my UMP....pistol, doesn’t feel right

#8 ·
The ATF is aware of the very loose guidelines regarding pistol braces and that is why they are backtracking and releasing new rulings. I wouldn’t be surprised if they said again you couldn’t shoulder the brace. Then you’re gonna have every stupid RO at a range trying to call the cops on you for shouldering it

#12 ·
Ksm or USC over the Omega any day of the week. I had nothing but issues after issues running the Omega with 9mm. I was told they run good in 45 but never tried it. I feel it should run all calibers as designed. Not to mention Omega’s sketchy customer service. Sent my gun to them they returned the gun with a different lower(had Tom transfer my USC trigger into a sef Lower.) they sent it back with US springs and no buffer and still didn’t run. Just with my experience alone I would skip Omega. Tom not only stands behind his product but make sure it runs before shipping it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.