New CETME owner
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New CETME owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New CETME owner

Hey y'all, I'm a new owner of a CETME/G3 type rifle and also a new member of this forum. I have some questions, and would love any general words of wisdom.

The rifle I bought is a Century C308 with wood furniture. I know Century is frowned upon, but I'm a tightwad college student. I wanted .308 for shooting deer and hogs, and I am deeply in love with all things HK but can't afford a real HK91. So far I've put over 200 rounds through it with no issues, unless the crappy trigger counts.

Yes, the trigger... It is horrendous. I don't think I have ever shot anything with longer creep. It just keeps going for what seems like half an inch. That's my first question. What should I do? There seem to be a lot of options. I've heard of sending the trigger group off to get worked on, I've seen complete trigger packs for sale, and I've seen flat machined triggers. Words of advice? I'd rather not spend several hundred, but I'll do what it takes to end up with something decent. I am sort of a trigger snob.

Also, I'd like an ambidextrous safety. I'm left handed. Are there any cheap ones available? (only one I've seen was over $70). And can I install one of those myself without screwing anything up, or should I have whoever does my trigger work put it in? I've had the gun apart to clean several times, but I haven't messed with the trigger group.

Finally, any recommendations on flash hiders and muzzle brakes? The brake Century has on there is atrocious. The concussion is completely insane even for a .308 in my opinion, and there is a huge flash. I'm thinking I either want a 3-prong flash hider like a JP or LMT, or some sort of linear compensator. Thoughts? I'm not too worried about recoil, if that matters. Blinding myself with flash and blowing the hat off my buddy next to me are worse than a little more recoil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Dallben!

Looks like we're both new to the forum! Luckily I've owned and prattled with plenty of roller delays.
    Congratulations on the new CETME! I've just purchased a CETME L in 5.56 myself.

As far as the trigger goes... yup.
    The Spanish CETME C's never boasted a great trigger and are crunchier than a potato chip.
    I highly recommend you do NOT send your trigger for work. There are only so many people that I trust to work on HK/CETME Triggers as far as machining and it's frankly more economical to purchase a new trigger pack.

Here is an exceptional trigger: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/PTR-...-550p17014.htm
    Note! Because you are using a CETME pattern, this pack will also require a German pattern 3 position (SEF) housing, and a German pattern selector.
    Sadly, this pack will not host an ambi selector.

On to muzzle breaks. I have a limited working relationship with JP and boy do they have great devices. Do yourself a favor and get a brake, not a flash hider.
    DO NOT USE A LINEAR COMPENSATOR. You may over-gas and these are only adding to the recoil and wear of your roller delay, particularly on your locking piece. Linear comps are more for shorter gas operated rifles like AR pistols and SBRs which have the ability to bleed excess gas more generously.

And please, familiarize yourself with the trigger group. The entire pack can be removed from the housing as if it were made of Lego. Go through the manual for your CETME. DO NOT disassemble this pack once it is out! You only need to occasionally remove the pack from the housing to oil lightly.

All the best.
    Last edited by Roller Slav; 08-24-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Dallben likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition!!!

Tony
    Dallben likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Consider ditching the muzzle break and getting a G3 backplate stock assembly. Swap the guide on the end of the recoil rod for the Cetme one or read up on modifying the G3 plastic bushing so it fits the CETME bolt carrier. Then get a HK21 Buttpad and and improved buffer and you will think you have a different rifle.

And if you want a better trigger as said above put a G3 lower and trigger pack on it. How good the trigger will be depends on what you are willing to invest time or money into.

Congrats on the new purchase and good luck. As well as a little warning. You just started down a rabbit hole LOL.
    Dallben likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    C
    And if you want a better trigger as said above put a G3 lower and trigger pack on it. How good the trigger will be depends on what you are willing to invest time or money into.
    All C308s I've seen come with a G3 trigger group.

See here for suggestions for improvement.

https://steemit.com/cetme/@dirt-19/u...st-takes-money
    Dallben likes this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone!

So for my trigger, I'd prefer not to buy a whole new housing if that means no ambi safety. If I was to send it out to get worked on, what do y'all think about Bill Springfield's work on these triggers? I've heard good things about him before, and he was mentioned in the link hkshooterusp posted. I definitely don't want to just send it off to someone random.

I did not know the trigger pack just comes out of the housing in one piece. That is good to know. I'm a mechanic, so I'm fine with taking stuff apart, I just don't want to accidentally make my gun into an automatic or something. Could I install an ambi safety myself? And a flat trigger? These are the ones I'm looking at:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/SEF-...-108p18065.htm

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-F...SA-5p18364.htm

Roller Slav, thanks for the warning about linear comps. I didn't know they affected gassing. I don't think I want a regular brake though, just from the standpoint of concussion and flash. I guess I'll be looking at regular flash hiders.

gulfstategaurd- I'm a little confused by what you are saying about the stock and buffer. What kind does it have on it now? And could I put an improved buffer and HK21 buttpad on my existing wooden stock assembly? I would like to keep the wood. Also, by "rabbit hole" I hope you don't mean endless money pit.... I don't need this rifle to end up like one of my project cars!!
    Roller Slav likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you post a pic of your rifle it would help to see exactly what your rifle is sporting. CETME furniture and G3 are different. HK Wood I think is prettier.

The CETME Buffer is just a little different than the HK so if you want the advantages of the HK21 buttpad and either the HK buffers or aftermarkets swapping the entire backplate stock assembly is the easier way to go. The guide rods bushings are different sizes for the respective carriers so they either need switching or you modify the HK plastic guide ring to fit the CETME.
    @HK Shooter usp, I spent some time fixing a freinds Century CETME and it had the CETME trigger pack on it. It was one of their fine quality ground bolt guns to create a false bolt gap, so I swapped out his carrier and bolt, then had to modify his cocking support since they had built the gun with the other bolt and it had zero cocking tube gap. (Bolt was actually out of battery because of it.) It also had a rdiculously tight magwell that bubba tried to open up using 2 screwdrivers and prying. So after fixing those dents, I resized the magwell so mags drop out nicely. Also added the paddle mag release and removed that horrible Century muzzle break, and added a set of HK wood to it. It is a sweet shooter now instead of the mule it was.
    Pic below is a side by side of HK and CETME furniture, CETME on left, HK on right.
    New CETME owner-20190826_183701.jpg
    This pic shows differences in buffer and location of buffer, HK on left, CETME on right..
    New CETME owner-20190826_183625.jpg
    Last edited by gulfstategaurd; 08-26-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    Dallben likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    @HK Shooter usp, I spent some time fixing a freinds Century CETME and it had the CETME trigger pack on it.
    I'm sure it did as did most of CAI's CETME rifles. The C308 isn't a CETME rifle but rather a gathering of left overs, many of which are CETME, welded into a working rifle on a G3 receiver. To date, the many I've seen have all had G3 trigger groups.
    Dallben likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New CETME owner-img_0906.jpg

Can you tell from the pic whether I have G3 or CETME furniture? (I don't have the rifle here with me this week). Will the main benefit I get from a new buffer be reduced recoil?

And does the G3 trigger group on my gun mean I can't use the ambi safety assembly I wanted to buy?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallben View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0906.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	240834

Can you tell from the pic whether I have G3 or CETME furniture? (I don't have the rifle here with me this week). Will the main benefit I get from a new buffer be reduced recoil?

And does the G3 trigger group on my gun mean I can't use the ambi safety assembly I wanted to buy?
    That rifle wears CETME original wood, not G3. It is using a G3 trigger group in a US made S-F Navy type grip frame. I cannot testify whether or not your ambi selector will work.
    Dallben likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links