Took the PTR plunge - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Took the PTR plunge

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ordered one from @Atlantic Firearms.com and it got to my FFL today. Picking it up tomorrow.
    Already got a set black hardware (including the wide forearm), a retractable stock, heavy buffers for both stocks, and a #17 lock piece to run a can. Taking off early from work tomorrow to go get it. Was considering getting the HK21 cocking handle with all the good reports on those so I think that will be on the order list this week.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post
    And you would be wasting your time. But thank you for the effort. The piece may appeal to some, I'm more of a purist. Besides, that piece would be the worst of the three when it comes to heat mitigation.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like the thin handguards the best overall.

I donít think you gain very much when you add grips and all. Mostly weight. Not only that, I have done hundreds of night missions in Iraq and will tel you that many times I wondered if I might be better off with depth perception and adjusted eyes and moonlight. The best advantage is probably a red dot or holographic sight, that is more of a force multiplier, but a tuned rifle that is zeroed and a rifleman that knows his holds would trump your average infantryman in todayís US military that is filled with guys that canít even qualify.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Range report
    Alright, I finally made it to the range, loaded up 10 mags of this Took the PTR plunge-img_2779.jpg after less than 30 rounds that only extracted about a foot some less I got my first FTE, so I tried the Malaysian it wouldn't extract either.
    The brass case barley had 2 small marks where the extractor came in contact with itTook the PTR plunge-img_2780.jpgTook the PTR plunge-img_2781.jpg I looked at the bolt head thru a magnifying glass and it looked like the brass was hitting on the extractor Took the PTR plunge-img_2784.jpgTook the PTR plunge-img_2787.jpgTook the PTR plunge-img_2785.jpgClick image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_2785.JPG†
Views:	63†
Size:	2.24 MB†
ID:	241544
    I went home and traded bolts with my 51, grabbed some tulammo along with the other and went back to the range, everything went great, brass flew about 10 feet and not 1 FTE.
    It looks like you shouldn't have this problem with a new 1000.00+ rifle, but at least it was easy fixable.
    M.M.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Did you put the stock PTR bolt back in and try the TULA with it?

You've got some pretty serious expansion of the brass into the chamber flutes. It could be that the fluted barrel cuts are still new and sharp enough that they are grabbing the expanded brass, preventing extraction. The steel cased ammo would eliminate this issue because the steel is far less malleable and won't expand into the flutes.

The damage to the rim by the extractor is normal.
    C4A likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you buddy,
    Even the Malaysian brass was very expanded in the flutes.

I did not retry the PTR bolt with the TulAmmo, but I will since I do have quiet a bit of it.

The heavy buffer and HK21 rubber butt pad does help with recoil, and I appreciate you guys recommending it.
    M.M.

C4A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slytiger View Post

I donít think you gain very much when you add grips and all. Mostly weight. Not only that, I have done hundreds of night missions in Iraq and will tel you that many times I wondered if I might be better off with depth perception and adjusted eyes and moonlight. The best advantage is probably a red dot or holographic sight, that is more of a force multiplier, but a tuned rifle that is zeroed and a rifleman that knows his holds would trump your average infantryman in todayís US military that is filled with guys that canít even qualify.
    Did you tape your mags into a V so 41 rounds was on the gun?

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

C4A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slytiger View Post

Or did you use 30r mags?

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I got mine from Atlantic in 2008... I think! Seems like I've had it FOREVER.

Dumb LUCKED into one of the models with the White Oak barrel. And I LIKE the aluminum handguards, so I've kept them.

Having owned a pre-ban HK91 back in the early '90's, I am still hard-pressed to tell the difference - in handling OR accuracy!
    Don't run - you'll only die tired... Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links