Optic Advice for MP5K: MRO vs. 510c (Thread turned into my review of 510c/MRO)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Optic Advice for MP5K: MRO vs. 510c (Thread turned into my review of 510c/MRO)

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Optic Advice for MP5K: MRO vs. 510c (Thread turned into my review of 510c/MRO)

Hello everyone, new to the forum here. As a side note, I did do some extensive searching so this isn't a lazy/blind post.

I recently purchased a PTR 9kt, which I am completely in love with- I can see why you guys get addicted to these. Anyways, I am in the market for an optic for my mp5k, I just don't like needing to close an eye to shoot. After quite a bit of searching, I think I have it narrowed down to a trijicon MRO or a holosun 510c (both are green versions). I think from a functional standpoint they will both do well. I am leaning towards these two as opposed to the aimpoints/similar as I really like the idea of having a larger FOV on something that is meant for CQB, but if you feel that I'm way off on this point- feel free to let me know. I am concerned the 510c may look big/bulky and out of place- if anyone has a 510c, some pictures would be great as I only found 1-2 mp5s rocking the 510c. The MRO has a certain simplicity to it's look that is definitely appealing.

I am so on the fence on this that some simple opinions may be enough to help me decide. Which would you chose, which do you think will fit the aesthetics of the mp5k? If it affects anything, this will be the primary host for a rugged obsidian suppressor.

Thanks all,
    Vince
    Last edited by blink; 10-12-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    path_actual likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update: I said screw it and just bought both to see them first hand and I'll just return the other. The 510C already came, the MRO will come next week. Since I didn't get any opinions, which is fine btw- I'll figure it out, I'll just turn this thread into a little review/impressions of each optic on my 9kt (MP5k) in case anyone else is looking for information. I'll try and keep this organized with this in mind. Feel free to ask any questions.

First impressions with the Holosun 510C: I went a bit brain-dead when I ordered it so I accidentally ordered the red version instead of the green. I'm not sure what I'll do if I end up keeping the 510C, most likely return the red and get the green because I feel like a green reticle is superior under most circumstances IMO.
    That being said, the red version is still nice, crisp, clear. I have no issue picking up the reticle and acquiring my target quickly. I really like the idea of having the circle and dot (eotech) reticle for something meant for CQB, I think it helps with getting the sight on target a little faster, especially when pinpoint accuracy may not be needed- although if it is, you do still have the dot in the center: I have not truly tested this at all, just my impressions from walking around my apartment doing a little "role-playing." The auto feature of the 510c is not too bad- it will try to use the solar panels to power it first and then supplement with any battery power if needed. In generally, this feature (can be turned off) works well but is not quite bright enough for me, it is close though, but not enough for me to use the auto mode over the manual mode for the time being. I have not tested the shake awake/motion sensor that turns the sight on/off during use or idle time enough to comment on it; you can adjust it to shut off after these increments of inactivity: 10 minutes, 1 hour, 12 hours, or disable the sleep mode altogether.
    True first thoughts about the 510C (build/material quality) were quite good, everything seems to be of good quality with no real red flags- I think it is pretty sexy. As mentioned in the OP, I was concerned about the 510C looking too big/bulky and out of place on my mp5k; this was not the case at all, I think it looks fantastic on it and the large FOV is what I was looking for and why I steered away from the aimpoints/clones. and I am glad I did so. The PTR's rail and the integrated quick detach of the 510c work great together and puts it in the perfect placement IMO; this may seem obvious but I'll say it anyways- you cannot use the irons at all when using the 510c, but the QD does allow for it to be removed very quickly. I will say that I wish it came with some kind of cover so it doesn't get banged off anything during transport, but a pretty minor complaint.

I will be going to the range shortly and will put up a range report, but I expect for the 510c to do very well is the first impressions were any indication of its quality.

Side note: Can a mod/similar give me permissions to post images as I think it would be beneficial to my little "review"/opinion. Or is there a way that I can post pictures and I am not aware of it? Regardless, I will work on getting my post count up so I can at least come back and edit these posts with pictures.
    Last edited by blink; 10-12-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    path_actual likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have an mro on my ptr 9ct it is great. Have had it to the range 3 times and love it. Just makes the center of the target a big whole.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MRO all the way. I know Holosun has been getting great press for bang for buck. I'll probably stick one on my SG. But MRO is it. Glass is great. Off between regular and night vision is perfect. Big top mounted ambi control. Excellent view. Either MRO or Aimpoint.
    P2000 sk
    HK45
    P30

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have the Holosun HE503GU GR Elite on my Z5RS and I love it! It co-witness with the front sight perfectly. Purchase it for $170 when it was on sale at Amazon several months ago. I plan to get another one for my POF reverse stretch. I’m hoping it’ll be on sale again in the coming months.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*Side note before I begin. I find it funny that no matter how many times I do it, every time I get some kind of red dot/similar- I think the dot is blurry and fuzzy and then get disappointed, but then I remember that I don't have my contacts in and my astigmatism is messing with the dot.. one of these days I will remember, maybe.

Range report on the Holosun 510c: First, a quick note on the integrated QD on the 510c since I didn't say anything about it; not a lot to say but it works very well with no issues and does make the optic look a bit more seamless (a good thing) compared to something like the MRO where the mount is not integrated (although that has it's own positives). On the PTR specifically; when mounted all the way back to the rear, the 510 does rub slightly on the rear sight drum- not enough to take paint off immediately, but over time, maybe. You can easily just move it up one spot on the rail but it does look slightly better/more clean all the way to rear as it will hang off the rail a bit when moved up. If I keep it, I probably will still keep it mounted at the rear.
    Edit: Apparently the "integrated" QD is removable FYI.

Now to the actual range report.. No real negatives to report. I really enjoyed shooting with the 510c and it made target acquisition a breeze, way faster than the MP5's iron sights IMO. Out of the box, the 510c's stock "zero" was way off (far right and above); to adjust, you would need the tool provided by Holosun- its not something that you could adjust with just any flat head or even a coin like a lot of red dots, although you could probably get away with a small flat head instead of the tool. In general, the 510c needed me to go pretty far with the adjusting, much more than I would initially think- took quite a bit to get to the point where the POI would even change noticeably- I don't have a ton of experience with new red dots, so I don't know how atypical this is, not a huge deal in the end as I was able to get zero'd properly. The windage adjustment is exactly how I would like to see it; just enough pressure required to make an adjustment and you felt a real nice "click" that provides some good feedback that you actually made a change. The elevation adjustment knob was not quite as nice; it felt a little more "mushy," the click was just not as pronounced- still was decent, just would have been nicer if it felt like the windage adjustment.

I really liked the dot and circle (eotech) reticle, I do feel like I can get on target a bit faster- but this could be placebo. Regardless, it just "felt" nice using it. I fired about 300 rounds, for what its worth- the zero did not change after I got it dialed in. Overall, I really liked the optic and for roughly $300, the bang for your buck is real and plus you don't even have to buy a mount like you have to with most other optics, and if you want a QD mount you are talking ~$80+. If I do not end up keeping the 510c, I will most likely end up buying another one when I am in need of an optic in the future, if it makes sense of course.

I did get the MRO today so I will put up some initial thoughts soon. I've only handled the MRO for a few minutes, but I will say- my first instinct is that I prefer the 510c, but it is definitely way too early to tell for sure.
    Last edited by blink; 10-15-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    path_actual likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, thank you for the opinions guys- I do appreciate it. Islandfocus2, definitely looks good man! I definitely do not want absolute cowitness, but that is a good set-up for those that do. Holosun as a company, in general has impressed me so far.
    path_actual likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Report on the Trijicon MRO: (I am combining the range report and first impressions for this, mostly because I'm feeling lazy but also because there is not a ton to say)
    Upon opening the MRO, the high(er) price tag definitely showed, which is a good thing. Even the packaging was superior and oozed quality, the case for the MRO is very nice- although, I would like to see it smaller as It seems like it is unnecessarily big and if it was smaller, I could see transporting the MRO in it more often, especially when it is on a QD mount. Speaking of, the MRO was mounted on the American Defense Manufacturing low QD mount. The mount was nice and simple and did its job, although I feel like the lever was a bit big (I had the tactical).

What really amazed me was the glass on the MRO, which may seem obvious to most of you that have experience with the MRO and other quality red dots, but I do not have that experience- just my deltapoint, vortex sparc, and the occasional use of friend's firearms. I initially thought that glass is glass for the most part, unless you are buying ultra cheap. The MRO's glass is in a tier of its own though, it almost felt like there was no glass there at all. The MRO's green dot was good, not too much to say about it, it was crisp without anything really bad to say about it. The knob that turns the MRO off/on and adjust the brightness levels (located on the top) was easily reached and provided a good grip to quickly and accurately choose the setting you want- I will say that mine was much too stiff and required too much effort to rotate, although I'd imagine that this would ease up after some use and be just fine. The windage/elevation adjustments were just fine, no issues and for what its worth, the MRO came with a better out of the box zero and I got it on target a good amount quicker than the 510c.

I do feel like the MRO looked good on my MP5k, I'd say it gave a more simplistic/sophisticated look than the 510c. Aesthetically, the size of the MRO fit the MP5 better in my opinion, but when taking everything into account- I just barely preferred the 510c's overall look over the MRO, this is of course just my opinon and is very subjective. The MRO with the low QD mount put it in the perfect place on my 9KT, just slightly above the front hood, but definitely a bit lower than the 510c.

At the range, I had both the 510c and the MRO on QD mounts so I was just switching back and forth between them and shooting a mag (after zero'ing both). I found myself wishing that the MRO had different reticle options; I am not sure on the technology side of things and what it actually takes to give the option of different reticles, but I think it is getting about time that red dots commanding a $400+ price tag should have more options than a dot.

Conclusion/my choice:
    I did decide on keeping the Holosun 510c, the whole setup was about $200 less than the MRO and mount, although this was not a defining difference- more like icing on the cake. I loved the larger window/FOV that the 510c gave, the general look, and the different reticle choices (I really liked the dot and circle reticle for close range/fast shooting). The MRO was a great optic and I am quite sure that I will buy another one in the future, but for something that is more mid-range than what I would imagine using my MP5k for.

One thing to note for others reading this is that some people do have concerns of the open nature of the 510c when compared to something that is fully enclosed like the MRO and in this regard, I am sure the MRO has the advantage in durability/ruggedness- this is just something that I obviously didn't test for. That being said, torture tests performed on the 510c do seem promising and make me feel better about it.
    path_actual likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brief update on the 510c:

The green version of the 510c arrived (I returned the red as I initially meant to order the green version- don't drink and buy expensive **** online kids). I am glad that I did return the red version; the green just adds something, something that is hard to describe and put your finger on, it just feels good (I very well could be exaggerating this). The battery "door"/slot was more of a pain to get it and wanted to say something about it in case I didn't in my original review- the system of prying out the door with the included tool is a bit crude. I did go to the range today and zero'd this 510c in- the end result was good. That being said, both the windage and elevation adjustments were mushy and stiff, it was much less evident of when you made the change as compared to my original (red) 510c or the MRO. Definitely annoying, but you rarely adjust these after zero'ing so not a huge deal (at least that I is what I'm telling myself).

I do feel like if you just want pure quality, then the MRO is the way to go. But, if you are looking for something more of a bang for your buck and/or want a large FOV with different reticles- then the 510c is the way to go. I am still happy that I decided on the 510c, I'll probably buy a MRO down the line to throw on a 556/.300 AR SBR.

And finally, regarding pictures; I will edit the OP and various posts to include some pictures pretty soon here. But, here is the final result: (red version shown, the green actually has a green dot in the "Holosun" logo- a cool little touch).

path_actual likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just got an 6.5 MOA RMR on the scalarworks mount and I love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links