MP5/10 build feed issues FTRB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MP5/10 build feed issues FTRB

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP5/10 build feed issues FTRB

I finally got my unicorn. A 8" 10mm sub gun. 1st day at the range, it was a train wreck. Just tight. Cleaned, cycled a crap ton. Did much better today. Most problems now are just bolt not making it back into battery. I assume it's the point of extractor making it over the run of the case. Rollers are trying to kick out, tension from mag. It's RCM bolt group, MM barrel HKParts mag. The one HK mag I have works best but not 100%. I only use hi power ammo and high power LP. Any suggestions other than run more rounds through?
    P2000 sk
    HK45
    P30

jfk
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    I finally got my unicorn. A 8" 10mm sub gun. 1st day at the range, it was a train wreck. Just tight. Cleaned, cycled a crap ton. Did much better today. Most problems now are just bolt not making it back into battery. I assume it's the point of extractor making it over the run of the case. Rollers are trying to kick out, tension from mag. It's RCM bolt group, MM barrel HKParts mag. The one HK mag I have works best but not 100%. I only use hi power ammo and high power LP. Any suggestions other than run more rounds through?
    There are a lot variables in your post. Who built it? Some pics would help. There are some things with a .40/10 build that are specific and must be done correctly that's not forgiving.

The face of the barrel has an extractor cut that must be lined correctly.

The trunion has welded bolt guides so if there's something off axis, the carrier may not go back into battery correctly and give you intermittent fire.

The bolt gap must be set correctly for proper function. If not, function will be affected.

If you believe all the above are fine, there are things you can do to help.

Remove your trigger pack and put the bolt carrier assembly together with the stock/end cap. Hand cycle the parts and see if there are any friction points. This occurs when a roll flat is not straight (enough) and causes friction points which can drag and cause the malfunctions.

If the parts are smooth, insert a magazine (still without the trigger pack) with some dummy or live rounds and see if the carrier picks the round up from the magazine correctly and push the round into the chamber without stalling or getting caught up. Two things that can mess you up is the magazine well not being square and cause the mag to sit high or low. Most of the time a low magwell needs some trimming of the flashing. The second thing is the magazine paddle not being in spec or installing one that was modified and not giving you correct height.

Moving to the trigger pack, install the FCG back into the gun and examine the height of the pack and make sure it's not sitting too low. This can cause problems. See if the tail of the ejector is pivoting up and down to correct height and not rubbing.

The other issues can be the actual bolt head (since there are plenty non HK or RCM bolts) not being machined correctly as well as a worn recoil rod spring not giving the gun enough momentum to cycle correctly.
    I sold my HK's and bought a whole bunch of Century C93s. The best rifles on the planet bar none. I love the C93 pistols with the 12 o' clock slot!

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks JFK... I figured you would say that. Ya, where to start with some guy asking about some clone... It's a Bretheren Arms BA-10 with ambi pack. I'm assuming it's right. I'm also assuming it's just new. I'm using #25 with all full 10mm. Sig/UW. Took it down today, nothing amiss. At least I had some wear to look at. Nothing crazy. A spot in the cocking tube is chattering on support tube but meh.

I don't necessarily think something "wrong". I read some good threads here on ejection and didn't see much on locking. I thought if it was "normal" breaking in there would be more chatter. After cleaning it locks in easy. It's the bullet. I'll take a look/give a try to your suggestions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glamor shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MP5/10 build feed issues FTRB-20191003_194903_1570847116136.jpg  

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Check the ejector height as it goes thru the bolt head, could be too high causing it to rub/bind up. Might try a Low pressure locking piece.
    Bill
    triggerwork.net

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Did you buy it new from Brethren? It sounds like a very expensive train wreck that should be handled by them. At this point there is no reason you should be assuming it's right. It's anything but right.

If I were handling on my own I would put an HK BCG in and see what that did.

But having to troubleshoot a $4,000 gun is unacceptable.
    Last edited by freeride1; 10-12-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    Did you buy it new from Brethren? It sounds like a very expensive train wreck that should be handled by them. At this point there is no reason you should be assuming it's right. It's anything but right.

If I were handling on my own I would put an HK BCG in and see what that did.

But having to troubleshoot a $4,000 gun is unacceptable.
    Yaaaaaa.... We're going to put a pin in that elephant for now and maybe circle back to that later... I really don't want to discuss that at this time.

Been gone for a bit. Still love my HK pistols. Got a few 1911s... Have a 2011 in 10mm. Had a MPX, but the 10mm is beggin for a proper platform. I didn't know MP5/10s were an option, but took the plunge finally. Very few options... And honestly, totally ignorant of roller goodness. I'm pretty decent at doing my own smiting. Learned a lot so far. But ya, paid for a premium build to get a sewing machine right out of the box.... Pin.

Now with 300+ rounds through it, it should be running. I'm getting 1-2 stops per mag all not going into battery. It was soaked in oil. Got it all cleaned up. Things are moving smooth. Stoned a couple parts. No crazy wear or problem spots... More hoping you guys say... Run it it will break in. I'm waiting on a new end cap, then I will take a look at the suggestions offered. Extractor isn't high. Spring feels good. Not too easy or hard. Mm barrel cut for relief and no wear marks on any things. I am getting a #24 as soon as HK parts is up again. Just to have. Maybe it goes into battery easier... But that's the wrong bandaid to use. I'll try some smoothing on my mags, see where I land when I get it back together.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So are there any good lube guides around for MP5s? I've looked....

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or rather... Yes I've read the armorers manual. Anything besides that. I prefer grease on some stuff... Any dos or don'ts for grease on MP5? Thanks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I own two(2) MP5 clones(semi-auto), and I use TW25b grease on all of the sliding pieces, and a good gun oil on the other parts(trigger group, etc.). I have been using this combo on all of my guns for quite some time now with no complaints........just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links