Crooked PTR-91 Cocking tube issue...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crooked PTR-91 Cocking tube issue...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Crooked PTR-91 Cocking tube issue...

So I just got my PTR-91 GIR a little while back and I've been adding new furniture to it. Unfortunately I've run into a problem. The cocking handle is slightly canted, which means the handguard I installed is also crooked.
    Crooked PTR-91 Cocking tube issue...-img01.jpgAttachment 244072Attachment 244074Attachment 244076Attachment 244078
    Anyone know a way of circumventing this short of going through the long process of sending it back to to the retailer? It doesn't seem to affect it functionally, but cosmetically it's extremely irritating.

Edit: Updated with more pictures
    Last edited by Sanded; 10-23-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Short of you cutting it up and re-welding it, no there’s nothing that can be done. Sending it back is the most efficient fix. It won’t cost you a penny, only time. I’ve done this and the process it’s super easy - just call, they send you a shipping label, you send it and wait!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bummer, +1 for sending it back to them. It should never have gotten past QC, make it their problem to fix on their dime.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- return to PTR for correction!!!

Tony

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Looks like your triple tree might actually be canted.

Either way, the proper fix if they installed the triple tree off would require resetting the barrel to get a new drill point for the sling eye ring. If the reason the triple tree is off is because the cocking tube is to one side they may need to cut off the cocking tube after pushing out the barrel, bore the cocking tube sleeve out, repress the barrel, install new cocking tube, reset triple tree.

It can be extensive the kind of work to properly fix the problem.

Check if your cocking tube has space around it where it fits into the triple tree or if it is touching the triple tree on one side? That may give you a better idea how much work may be needed.

Either way, send it back. Not a simple fix, and certainly not one for the end user to be on the hook for.

PTR should be good for it

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanded View Post
    So I just got my PTR-91 GIR a little while back and I've been adding new furniture to it. Unfortunately I've run into a problem. The cocking handle is slightly canted, which means the handguard I installed is also crooked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	243872
    Anyone know a way of circumventing this short of going through the long process of sending it back to to the retailer? It doesn't seem to affect it functionally, but cosmetically it's extremely irritating.
    Why would you give it back to the retailer? You would send it to PTR directly. This is what I tell my customers at work. And our invoice clearly states in the fine print that if there are any problems with the gun, the buyer must deal directly with the mfr for any warranty repairs. Besides, if your store were to send it in, & you wanted to contact PTR to ask for an update on the gun’s repair, they won’t tell you anything since you did not send it in. The store did. Only they can call to find out. We always tell the customer to send in their gun so they can call to check up on it. As a courtesy, we have a gunsmith who will try to fix a minor problem if it takes 5 minutes, or less. You’d be surprised to know how many minor problems he has fixed. But if he can not, the customer must deal directly with the mfr. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    Why would you give it back to the retailer?
    It was late, idunno why I said "retailer".

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    Looks like your triple tree might actually be canted.
    If that were the case it wouldn't be affecting the hand guard position in relation to the barrel, since it's connected to the cocking tube. I've done some reading around and I've found some other cases of it happening. I'd hoped PTR would be above QC issues like this by now given the threads I'd found on most of their bad QC were from years ago, but it looks like nothing's really changed. Granted I don't think most people would even notice this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    It won’t cost you a penny, only time. I’ve done this and the process it’s super easy - just call, they send you a shipping label, you send it and wait!
    Yeah, more time. Waited months for it to come in stock at my local store, waited a month from purchase to even take it home, and now probably wait months to process a fix through PTR. I think I'll just switch to a shorter hand guard and just ignore it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Removed comment
    Last edited by gulfstategaurd; 10-20-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    Usually when people seek advice they are actually seeking to learn something.
    You're right, I'm just so unfathomably angry that I've waited this long and that I will now have to wait even longer for this thing to be fixed. How long can I expect a fix to take anyway?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I understand your frustration. Give PTR a call and ask what needs to happen. Timeline will depend on what they determine they need to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links