PTR 9kt Quality?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: PTR 9kt Quality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR 9kt Quality?

Hello, New to forum here.

Recently purchased a PTR 9KT from Atlantic Firearms. Initial thoughts, finish was nice, welds were clean and much better than on MKE mp5. I went to the range and initially only fired 50 rounds through the gun as i wanted to fire it with the brace installed but was unable to install it at the time. Ran well, slightly more recoil than my fulls ize mp5, but no malfunctions to report. Took gun home cleaned and disassembled, measured bolt gap and it was out of spec at .031in. Bolt group came with a 110 degree locking piece, i tried fitting my mke locking piece but would not fit in the bolt head, possibly out of spec bolt? I also noticed the trunion is not butted up against to the rails on the receiver, there is a noticeable gap where the trunion meets the receiver rails. I measured this gap and i can fit a .023in feeler gauge on the LH side between trunion and receiver, and i can fit a .014 in feeler gauge on RH side where the ejection port is. Being that it is not butted against the rails and the gap is different on both sides leads me to believe the trunion is not squared in the receiver. I sent PTR a message about the bolt gap being out of spec and the trunion not against receiver rails. They responded right away and sent me an rma to ship them the firearm back. They had my 9KT for about a week and in that week i sent a follow up email asking for any updates on the gun which they said they would email me back with an update but never did. I ended up receiving an email from ups that i had a package on the way from PTR. When i got the firearm back the work order only stated, "Repinned barrel, headpsace @.014. Test fired 60RDs, Firearm functioned as it should." Bolt gap is now at .016in, within spec. Nothing was done about the trunion to receiver issue, they also replaced the locking piece to a 100 degree locking piece. I noticed now the receiver where the trunion is appears to show some distortion on both sides, im not sure if this is cosmetic or if it will cause issues down the road. Looking at other mp5 at a local range and my mke they do not have these distortions on the receiver and they also have the trunion butt up against the receiver rails. Not sure if i just got an ugly duckling out of the batch, i saw a ptr 9kt at a local gun shop and the receiver was clean with no distortion marks and trunion against receiver rails. Any info you guys have would be appreciated. Here are some pictures as well to show trunion to receiver gap and receiver distortion.

PTR 9kt Quality?-ptr-9kt.jpgPTR 9kt Quality?-gap.jpgPTR 9kt Quality?-.023in-lh-side.jpgPTR 9kt Quality?-.014in-rh-side.jpgPTR 9kt Quality?-20191019_224515.jpgPTR 9kt Quality?-inked20191019_223253_li.jpgPTR 9kt Quality?-inked20191019_223400_001_li.jpgPTR 9kt Quality?-inked20191019_223449_li.jpg

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the report!!!
    Personally, I would have PTR replace the firearm.

Tony
    FergusandCo likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I picked up a 9KT yesterday that I ordered from Atlantic. Since I plan on SBRing this and will run an Omega 9K on it, I had an 80* LP that I tried to put in. The bolt is just slightly out of spec, so I will be contacting PTR Monday to see about getting a new bolt, which from what I'm hearing they will do under warranty since it appears to be a known issue that their 9KT bolts have problems accepting non-PTR LPs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How sad. This company got started by buying the machinery from FMP to build HK91 type guns. All the machinery was made by HK, & the parts they made were all in spec. Plus, the earlier guns used real HK BCG’s made on HK machinery from HK, FMP, POF, EBO, etc. Since FMP did not sell them any MP5 machinery, where are these parts coming from? The 10th reincarnation of a TB company? When I’m ready to buy one, it will be one of the imports, as they are in spec contract guns, while maybe not as pretty. I’m happy to have purchased a real JLD gun that has never let me down. GARY
    FergusandCo likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow for $1700 that's terrible quality. What's going on over at PTR?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys. I will be contacting PTR and get the ball rolling. My MKE has worked flawlessly and i really wanted a K version of the mp5. I would have bought another MKE but they seem to out of stock everywhere so i settled on the PTR, but for the price range i would have thought i was getting a quality firearm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems like they're have weird QC issues as of late. Out of spec gap, part compatibility, crooked cocking tubes.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Your experience caused me to open the safe and inspect my KT, looking for the flaws that you have posted.

My early build (sub 200 serial #) exhibits none of your issues.

I also looked at my CT and it was free of issues as well.

I've yet to experience a malfunction with either of my PTR 9mms, and they come to the range with me frequently.

Very unfortunate that you are dealing with these QC issues at this price point.

Hopefully PTR makes it right and either fixes your firearm or replaces it with one that is build to their (usually) high standards.

Perhaps building these by the 1000s each year they are experiencing growing pains with new 9mm models.

I would love to see how these are jigged up and built en mass in South Carolina. Perhaps Atlantic can coerce PTR to make a video of their production process from flat bend to completed 9mm CT/KT.

Keep us posted.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Lumbergh; 10-21-2019 at 01:00 AM.
    "Amat victoria curam"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PTR emailed me a UPS label and asked for me to include the 80*LP so that they can make sure it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From my experience with my 9KT, the research I did before buying, and these recent threads popping up.. I feel like PTR has some questionable quality control, but they do make up for it for the most part with their excellent customer service. I think in general their quality is good, but there is the possibility of it arriving with an issue, but they do handle it fairly quickly and easily. To me, the excellent customer service almost outweighs their out of the box issues but not quite of course. Although, I think with some of the other clones, you may have the opposite problem (good initial quality with customer service that may be lacking). Overall, I'm still happy with my PTR- but I do have to send it into them for a very small/out of spec bolt gap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links