Mp5 irons only or red dot? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mp5 irons only or red dot?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWSO View Post
    why would you want to co witness that big ass drum that blocks half the viewing area?
    Handy when shooting in the dark, but not everyone want/gets to do this. I use the battlesteel mount for co witness and do not mind the rear sight as I use the full aperture.
    HK KI MARK 23
    HK KI USP45 Tactical
    HK BG USP9 Tactical
    HK BG 45 Tactical
    HK BG VP9 Tactical
    HK BG VP9
    HK BG P30
    HK BG P30SK
    HK BG SP5K(MP5K-N)
    TPM MP5F
    TPM P5SD
    MM 23E
    MM 23EK
    MM G36C
    MM G36K
    Looking for BG P30L V3 9mm & BG USP 9 Expert

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

MFI ultra low profile mount, with an Aimpoint T1. Absolute co-witness. Use the same set up on my HK91, as well.

The HK irons are great; but irons on any platform are a PITA when dealing with non-convention shooting positions. Additionally, as has been mentioned, having a red dot makes shooting in the dark much better.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5 inbound

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    MFI ultra low profile mount, with an Aimpoint T1. Absolute co-witness. Use the same set up on my HK91, as well.

The HK irons are great; but irons on any platform are a PITA when dealing with non-convention shooting positions. Additionally, as has been mentioned, having a red dot makes shooting in the dark much better.
    Good points...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is where I ended up. I can use the iron sights through the scalar works mount. Raise your head a little to use the RDS. I just installed an XS dot front sight today.

HK45 LEM
    HK45c LEM
    P30L 9mm V4.1 LEM
    P30 9mm V4.1 LEM
    P30SK 9mm V4.1 LEM
    VP9
    P2000 9mm V4.1 LEM
    P2000sk 9mm LEM

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nimslow View Post
    This is where I ended up. I can use the iron sights through the scalar works mount. Raise your head a little to use the RDS. I just installed an XS dot front sight today.

Thats Very NICE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy556 View Post
    Thats Very NICE!
    Thanks! I bought it as a braced pistol, I was just going to leave alone and shoot it. That didn't happen quite the way I'd originally planned.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

@Bigboy556 , glad you're enjoying your Z5! Looks like you had a fun shoot.

The above setup looks great, but optic is too high up for me. If the sight is any higher than the irons and my face isn't buried into the A2 stock or the wire on the A3, I'm not as repeatable. Considering the era, the mp5 was designed with irons in mind. When I lock all the way down on my cheek to view the irons, my face goes to the same place every time. I continue to explore new optics, but keep coming back to the irons. PS: If you think you may want to cowitness an RDS, I might suggest trying the mp5 white dot night sight out first- very nice and high contrast.

Not to start an "HK shoulda" rant, but I bet the LE community who is into SMGs might be interested in a factory railed mp5 without a front sight (heresy I know). Maybe it would come with a raised stock for a higher cheekweld appropriate for the expected optics.

Now I'm just rambling, but if you want to experience some great diopters, run a few rounds through a Swiss SIG or SAN 550!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

IMHO , everyone has a different build, so one persons setup may not work for another . It's a expensive trial & error thing . I have a same KAC handguard and mount on my "MP5" as nimslow, I just use a RMR on a high mount or Aimpoint T-1 on a low mount , or I can take the KAC HG off and put a HK rail and use a Eotech EXPS3 , which is bigger and has fastest target accusation then all the red dots . All red dots are generally faster than irons . If you wanna get fast rounds in the perp nothing beats a red dot. Ascetics and looks really do not matter , what works the best is what I go with & really don't care if it co witness , 1/3 ect . People wanna keep their gun plain & pretty with sexy MP5 lines, well next time you have to really use it , please ask a bad guy "hey come look at my pretty MP5 , I keep the dang thing sexy " before you shoot him , or he may just drool over your gun and give up.
    cheers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab95v6 View Post
    IMHO , everyone has a different build, so one persons setup may not work for another . It's a expensive trial & error thing . I have a same KAC handguard and mount on my "MP5" as nimslow, I just use a RMR on a high mount or Aimpoint T-1 on a low mount , or I can take the KAC HG off and put a HK rail and use a Eotech EXPS3 , which is bigger and has fastest target accusation then all the red dots . All red dots are generally faster than irons . If you wanna get fast rounds in the perp nothing beats a red dot. Ascetics and looks really do not matter , what works the best is what I go with & really don't care if it co witness , 1/3 ect . People wanna keep their gun plain & pretty with sexy MP5 lines, well next time you have to really use it , please ask a bad guy "hey come look at my pretty MP5 , I keep the dang thing sexy " before you shoot him , or he may just drool over your gun and give up.
    cheers
    True I found RDS much faster, and less eye strain.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use the hosum green dot love it. But if the front sight didn’t look blurry, I would have stuck with those. Gettin old has some disadvantages, but not quite ready for the alternative.
    FergusandCo likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links