Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mp5 irons only or red dot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I only own one rifle with iron sights.
    Bigboy556 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dig the way T1's (micro RDS's in general guess) look on MP5's so I did that. Other than that you can't beat the factory irons.
    Bigboy556 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Factory irons are great.

Until they aren't. Get older, folks. Eyes just don't work like they used to and optics of some sort become a must to remain proficient with the weapon.

There's a reason the worlds top, fastest shooters use optics/red dots. You won't see alcohol engines in top fuel much like you won't see iron sights in open class. Dots are faster, a single focus plane, both eyes open.
    I didn't say I liked it, it's just the way it is. Having better than 20/20 all my life I always prided myself on my vision and ability to use irons. those days started to leave me about ten years ago so now I have to figure out how to put optics on every-damn thing. Being no fan of rails on HK types, the compromise has been begrudgingly. I'd still rather bolt them on than weld them, however.
    gt40doc and FergusandCo like this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AMill08 View Post
    I chased the cowitness thing and didn't end up liking it. the red dot was slightly off the front post center when zero'd which drove me nuts. Plus it was very cluttered tbh. I have the MFI low mount and an Aimpoint T1. It will cowitness if I look through the irons, but I end up looking over the rear drum sight to use the dot. If I want to use irons, I just turn off the dot and look through it like it's not there.

Sight picture with cowitness

Sight picture looking over the rear sight drum

My other clone setup is a MRO, which obviously is dot only.
    Did you sight in the RDS or just align it with irons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The irons while great are going to take quite a bit of practice before they'll be as fast for me as shooting a red dot on my 9mm AR build. Unfortunately my used Zenith didn't come with the red dot mount so I can't test a red dot in the mp5. Playing on a plate rack at 20 yards, the irons are definitely bit slower than a red dot. This is even more noticeable when it's dark outside.

I'm curious how a 503 cir let dot reticle would look cowitnessed with irons. I wonder if it'd be too cluttered or if it may line up with the front hood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy556 View Post
    Did you sight in the RDS or just align it with irons?
    I aligned it on the front site post at my house and it was a good bit off at the range. Again, that was my issue, once I zero'd the optic, the dot wasn't lined up with the front site post, which drove me nuts. That's why I just look over the rear drum to use the red dot. I've also found the same to be true regarding RMRs on pistols. Slaving the dot to the front site is a good starting point when zeroing the optic. I've used this method for my pistol red dots and it works fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINDUy_ZrBc

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AMill08 View Post
    I aligned it on the front site post at my house and it was a good bit off at the range. Again, that was my issue, once I zero'd the optic, the dot wasn't lined up with the front site post, which drove me nuts. That's why I just look over the rear drum to use the red dot. I've also found the same to be true regarding RMRs on pistols. Slaving the dot to the front site is a good starting point when zeroing the optic. I've used this method for my pistol red dots and it works fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINDUy_ZrBc
    Yes I understand, reason I asked that was it seemed the RDS was sitting perfect on the front sight post. Great vid aswell attached seen it before. Ill sight mine in this week see what happens Ill post results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    The irons are too low of a sight picture for me, feels like I have to bury my face into the brace. They would probably be just fine if I used ear plugs instead of ear muffs, but with the muffs- I struggle with getting a good sight picture with the irons along with keeping a good seal on my muffs. For me, full cowitness would be kind of against the point so I am rocking a holosun 510c which is perfect for me, does not do any kind of cowitness but it has a QD mount so I could pop it off fairly quickly if I needed the irons.
    I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Could you post a pic of your setup? I’m curious how big the optic looks up there.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SVT_PNW View Post
    I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Could you post a pic of your setup? I’m curious how big the optic looks up there.

Thanks

Mp5 irons only or red dot?-243664d1571262092-clone-pic-thread-can-we-all-see-what-you-got-ptr-1-3.jpg

Let me know if you'd like some more, I have plenty.

I will say that it looks/seems bigger in pictures. In person, I find it to be perfect.
    FergusandCo likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243664d1571262092-clone-pic-thread-can-we-all-see-what-you-got-ptr-1-3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	821.0 KB 
ID:	245206

Let me know if you'd like some more, I have plenty.

I will say that it looks/seems bigger in pictures. In person, I find it to be perfect.
    Thanks man. That’s perfect. And you can’t see the front sight at all when looking through the optic?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links