POF, PTR or Thor Defense?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: POF, PTR or Thor Defense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default POF, PTR or Thor Defense?

Hello, Trying to decide on my MP5K clone and I am stuck between these above listed three companies. POF from what I have read can be kinda hit or miss on cosmetic side (mostly miss with the finish) and to SBR it I would have do 922R compliant it. PTR looks good except it has the rail on top which I don't want and Id read on here you void the warranty if you shoot it with a suppressor which is a major bummer but at least it doesn't have to be made 922r compliant. Thor Defense well I can't find anything really on them but their offerings appear to be Wade Bailey's Omegas re branded maybe? not really sure. The description to me screams a Omega MP5 Clone not knowing anything about that company and the hit or miss stuff I read on Omega makes me uneasy a little. So here I am. Any suggestions or opinions would be awesome to hear! thanks in advance!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Go with the POF. You can buy the compliance parts without breaking the bank. Cocking lever, hammer, sear, trigger, trigger box, and trigger housing etc...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
    JRK1990 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was kinda where I was leaning, I'm just worried I will get one with canted sights or crooked tube.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get one of there "pro" ones then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought about it but not a fan of the finish they applied looks wise.
    Last edited by JRK1990; 11-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think PTR is super picky about the warranty and shooting suppressed and I'm not even sure how they would know to be honest. I recently sent in my PTR to be worked on as it had a small bolt gap and they had me send in my 80* locking piece as well to make sure it/the bolt was working with that as well as the stock LP- I would think that if they would give me issues about shooting suppressed in general then they would not want to help make sure that it is good to go with the 80* piece. They also did not even question me if I was shooting suppressed or not. I'm not sure if that all made sense, basically I don't think shooting suppressed is a reason to not go with PTR.

Now, PTR does seem to have some quality control issues.. IMO, they are good quality in general but they don't do enough checking before a new gun leaves their factory. That being said, their customer service is pretty on point in my experience, enough for their QC issues to not bother me that much. But, if you want a gun that has zero issues and do not want to deal with sending the gun in at all, then PTR may not be the right choice for you.

I did research on the various clones before I bought my MP5k from PTR and I would still go with PTR over POF in my opinion and in general I am happy with my PTR even though I had to send it in to them. Now if the choice was PTR or a zenith, then my opinion would change.

Edit: Also, I do not know enough about Thor Defense to comment on them.
    JRK1990 likes this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I like the POF among the three that you mentioned.
    Last edited by islandfocus2; 11-18-2019 at 06:09 AM.
    JRK1990 likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRK1990 View Post
    Hello, Trying to decide on my MP5K clone and I am stuck between these above listed three companies. POF from what I have read can be kinda hit or miss on cosmetic side (mostly miss with the finish) and to SBR it I would have do 922R compliant it. PTR looks good except it has the rail on top which I don't want and Id read on here you void the warranty if you shoot it with a suppressor which is a major bummer but at least it doesn't have to be made 922r compliant. Thor Defense well I can't find anything really on them but their offerings appear to be Wade Bailey's Omegas re branded maybe? not really sure. The description to me screams a Omega MP5 Clone not knowing anything about that company and the hit or miss stuff I read on Omega makes me uneasy a little. So here I am. Any suggestions or opinions would be awesome to hear! thanks in advance!
    POF ftw. To be 922r compliant is not difficult or expensive. A mag counts as 3 parts already, have one US made mag in your bag/house and just change the stock, charging handle and handguard and you should be good to go. If you can I would suggest to get the SP5K, ROI on the SP5K is much higher than the POF in the long run.
    JRK1990 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would loveeee to get a SP5K but right now at the prices they are running I can't invest that yet. I'm a 1911 addict also and I got quite a bit of funds right now tied up in some custom 1911's that are being made. haha Also if I go the POF route once I am ready to have it refinished down the road who would you guys recommend? id like to stay true to a HK style finish as possible.
    Last edited by JRK1990; 11-18-2019 at 05:42 AM.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

No PTR!!!

Tony
    JRK1990 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links