What does going with a premium builder get you over cheaper options?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What does going with a premium builder get you over cheaper options?

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jul 2010
    Posts : 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default What does going with a premium builder get you over cheaper options?

    Sort of a vs thread but not really, just basically what does going with one of the premium builders get you over one of the larger clone manufacturers like Zenith, PFO or PTR?

    I have been seriously considering getting an MP5 clone for a bit now and if everything works out I think I will be ready to actually buy one sometime early next year. Ive been researching different builders and I am heavily leaning towards Dakota Tactical. They are local to me, have a great rep, make a quality gun and I like supporting local small businesses if I can. That said the price difference of a Dakota over something like a PTR, POF or Zenith is significant.

    I am mostly looking at K models....and from Dakota I would most likely be going with the D54-k compact core classic. The price difference doesn't really matter that much but I would still like to know what my extra money is getting me because at least with a cursory look between then its not readily apparent though I know there has to be some difference you just can't see in a picture.

    Edit...looks like my first post...i've been a long time lurker of this forum so Hi everyone...BTW

  2. #2
    Very Senior Member
    taclore's Avatar
    Join Date : May 2016
    Location : Oklahoma
    Posts : 363
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    There's talk of HK releasing an SP5K and SP5 both with paddle mag release, shortly. I think there's a thread on it in the HK Talk section. Personally, if it's available, I'd prefer the real Mccoy.

    But with the premium builders, you can get it built exactly how you want it, and usually outstanding service. I've read a lot that Ghilliebear (Parabellum Combat Systems) has superb service.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jul 2010
    Posts : 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I have seen the rumors about the "real" MP5s possibly from HK and I an definitely very interested in how that turns out but I still want to do my due diligence in researching all the possible options available. We don't even know how much these new MP5s will cost yet and that could possibly to be a huge driving factor, I mean they could possibly just be outrageous..

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Saab95v6's Avatar
    Join Date : Nov 2010
    Location : Allentown, PA
    Posts : 517
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    I have seen the rumors about the "real" MP5s possibly from HK and I an definitely very interested in how that turns out but I still want to do my due diligence in researching all the possible options available. We don't even know how much these new MP5s will cost yet and that could possibly to be a huge driving factor, I mean they could possibly just be outrageous..
    Let's squash this "rumors" , The "real MP5's" have always been available from HK , but it was only for LE Department, or as a dealer sample . HK will be releasing the SP5 (semi Auto Pistol) for civilian purchase first week of December, and it's not a rumor but a cold hard fact . This is a huge gesture from HK to the Civilians in the US, because the last time they sold something comparable to the "MP5" was HK94 few decades ago . This time around they will be selling a far better configuration than HK94 because , the SP5 will have factory installed 3 lug Navy barrel . All the HK94 and conversions from HK94 you see ans read about , had mostly had their barrels cut or 3 lug barrels reinstalled.
    cheers
    Brad4065, taclore, gt40doc and 1 others like this.

  6. #5
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jul 2010
    Posts : 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes Im definitely following the news closely and I would go with the HK barring it coming in at just some astronomical price point or them being horrible neutered in some way. The only potential neutering I've heard so far is the possibility of them not being able to take a sear which as near as makes no difference to me since there is no way I would ever be dropping 30+k on a sear for one anyway.

    I would also be waiting for the next batch or so too because there is no way Ill have the money together for one by December....though I wish I could.

  7. #6
    Desperately Needs Treatment

    Join Date : Sep 2005
    Location : PALM BEACH FLORIDA
    Posts : 1,379
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    Sort of a vs thread but not really, just basically what does going with one of the premium builders get you over one of the larger clone manufacturers like Zenith, PFO or PTR?
    To clarify, Zenith, & POF are built on real HK machinery with all the support, & blessings from HK. The only difference is they are not made in Germany. They are known as a”contract” mfr, because they are authorized by HK. When PTR got started, they were known as JLD. They bought the entire factory from FMP, who was also a contract mfr, but FMP only made HK91 style guns. So any PTR91 is a HK91 clone, but made on real HK machinery. However, since FMP never made a MP5, PTR has no factory equipment to build a MP5. So you have to ask, where are they getting their receivers, & other parts from? Sure, maybe some of the PTR91 parts they make cross over to the MP5, but most do not. So while we don’t know where these parts come from, or who made them, we do know that Zenith, & POF are made on real HK machinery, using HK blueprints with the blessings from HK. GARY

  8. #7
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Brad4065's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2009
    Location : That black SUV in your driveway
    Posts : 3,519
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    Sort of a vs thread but not really, just basically what does going with one of the premium builders get you over one of the larger clone manufacturers like Zenith, PFO or PTR?

    I have been seriously considering getting an MP5 clone for a bit now and if everything works out I think I will be ready to actually buy one sometime early next year. Ive been researching different builders and I am heavily leaning towards Dakota Tactical. They are local to me, have a great rep, make a quality gun and I like supporting local small businesses if I can. That said the price difference of a Dakota over something like a PTR, POF or Zenith is significant.

    I am mostly looking at K models....and from Dakota I would most likely be going with the D54-k compact core classic. The price difference doesn't really matter that much but I would still like to know what my extra money is getting me because at least with a cursory look between then its not readily apparent though I know there has to be some difference you just can't see in a picture.

    Edit...looks like my first post...i've been a long time lurker of this forum so Hi everyone...BTW
    Soooooo…...that's a loaded question.

    What do you get?????

    Well....what are you using it for, how accurate do you need it to be, how reliable does it need to be, is it a range gun or coyote killer?

    Personally....I like to know that when the bugger hook hit's the bang bang switch, we're good to go. I don't need a FTE/FTF or complete FU,
    because if it's on the business end.....it needs to go without hesitation.

    So gauge you're need vs. want based off your answer.
    JAXMKE likes this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

  9. #8
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jul 2010
    Posts : 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wasn't really trying to load the question sorry.

    What am I using it for? Whatever I need it for...sounds like a wiseass answer so Ill clarify. Sure all of my guns are for range fun, I enjoy shooting, Im sure we all do, otherwise what are we really doing here talking about guns? That said any gun I own regardless of how fun it is at the range, needs to be capable of defending my life if need be. So reliability and accuracy are always primary concerns with anything I buy.

    Originally I thought the Mp5 K could fit the role of a backpack gun for me, at least until I start to think of the possibility that if I actually have to use the thing and the fact that my three thousand dollar MP5 would be sitting in an evidence locker for who knows how long, and who knows what condition it would be in, if I ever got it back sort of makes me cringe....that said if the choice is death or throwing 3gs to the evidence locker gremlins, Ill pay the gremlins every time.

    I don't like messing with guns that are ammo sensitive or unreliable. I don't have any patience for them, when I shoot I want the gun to work and not spend a bunch of time and effort trying to find ammo it "likes". As for accuracy I want it to be as accurate as it can be. These are things that I have and do pay extra for and will continue to pay extra for if I need to in the future.

    So if what you are trying to say is that going with Dakota over say a zenith or POF gets me a more accurate and reliable gun, that will eat any ammo I care to feed it....well that's all you needed to say
    Last edited by loki993; 11-22-2019 at 01:35 AM.

  10. #9
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    HKaltwasser's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2009
    Location : Dripping Springs, Tx- Just west of weird.
    Posts : 2,167
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    I think you get to support a forum vendor, an American entrepreneur and have direct communication with the builder. You can customize it however you like.
    A voice from the past whispers in my ear, “Brethren, keep your powder dry.”

  11. #10
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Brad4065's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2009
    Location : That black SUV in your driveway
    Posts : 3,519
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    I wasn't really trying to load the question sorry.

    What am I using it for? Whatever I need it for...sounds like a wiseass answer so Ill clarify. Sure all of my guns are for range fun, I enjoy shooting, Im sure we all do, otherwise what are we really doing here talking about guns? That said any gun I own regardless of how fun it is at the range, needs to be capable of defending my life if need be. So reliability and accuracy are always primary concerns with anything I buy.

    Originally I thought the Mp5 K could fit the role of a backpack gun for me, at least until I start to think of the possibility that if I actually have to use the thing and the fact that my three thousand dollar MP5 would be sitting in an evidence locker for who knows how long, and who knows what condition it would be in, if I ever got it back sort of makes me cringe....that said if the choice is death or throwing 3gs to the evidence locker gremlins, Ill pay the gremlins every time.

    I don't like messing with guns that are ammo sensitive or unreliable. I don't have any patience for them, when I shoot I want the gun to work and not spend a bunch of time and effort trying to find ammo it "likes". As for accuracy I want it to be as accurate as it can be. These are things that I have and do pay extra for and will continue to pay extra for if I need to in the future.

    So if what you are trying to say is that going with Dakota over say a zenith or POF gets me a more accurate and reliable gun, that will eat any ammo I care to feed it....well that's all you needed to say
    All I can say is this;

    I cannot speak of your vendor because I have not done business with them, but many here have great things to say about them.
    Personally, Ralph @RDTS has been my end all be all.
    I've done "cheap", and I've done expensive.
    Cheap.....well....I got what I paid for, and won't do it again.
    Best of luck on your build, and remember, PICS or it happened.
    PolishX likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •