Why nothing in 5.56?
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Why nothing in 5.56?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Why nothing in 5.56?

So why is it that nobody makes HK clones in 556? Zenith imported them for a while, but... Nowadays you cant swing a dead cat without knocking over a couple 30 caliber HK clones, to coin a phrase.

If PTR tooled up and started making quality 93 clones they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. Dont get me wrong, I really like shooting my 308 stuff. I have an HK91, a Cetme that I'm very proud of, and a great DSA FAL folder. 223 is just easier to shoot IMHO, ammo is much more plentiful (and thus cheaper).

On a tangent, DSA could start making 223 FALs. Remember those Imbel FALs imported by SAI back in the 90's? The SAR4800 (I actually have one).

Is it because the market is overrun with ARs?

Hands down, the finest rifle I ever shot was an HK93. A buddy owned one, thing was an absolute joy to shoot. Does that mean I need to get out more? Perhaps.

ETA: The new MCM Cetme is just great, I'm very glad to see them.
    Mrs. Peel, we're needed.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dinsdale Piranha View Post
    So why is it that nobody makes HK clones in 556? Zenith imported them for a while, but... Nowadays you cant swing a dead cat without knocking over a couple 30 caliber HK clones, to coin a phrase.

If PTR tooled up and started making quality 93 clones they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. Dont get me wrong, I really like shooting my 308 stuff. I have an HK91, a Cetme that I'm very proud of, and a great DSA FAL folder. 223 is just easier to shoot IMHO, ammo is much more plentiful (and thus cheaper).

On a tangent, DSA could start making 223 FALs. Remember those Imbel FALs imported by SAI back in the 90's? The SAR4800 (I actually have one).

Is it because the market is overrun with ARs?

Hands down, the finest rifle I ever shot was an HK93. A buddy owned one, thing was an absolute joy to shoot. Does that mean I need to get out more? Perhaps.

ETA: The new MCM Cetme is just great, I'm very glad to see them.
    Well yah know....Hk just came out with the SP5. Maybe, hopefully they'll have an SP93, SP91 and pray to God a PSG5
    MSOGDAWG and Glockdude1 like this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Better chance of seeing a MSG90 A2, considering HK still makes them for LE/MIL. If that’s worth anything at all and just FYI, HK discontinued just about everything HK91 and HK93 related back in 2017.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

When HK wanted out of stamped, delayed rollerlock guns, the 5.56 was the first to go. The 33 has been out of production for almost 15 years and the 53 was the last to go...and it was longer than 2017.

HK wanted to get out of the all together and was met with backlash for wanting to drop the MP5 and a few other models still in circulation. HK still technically has a 308 in their current inventory in the MSG90A2 (which has little to no foothold on the market) and the 21E's were around long after the 5.56 variants were put out to pasture.

It would be reasonable to say you may not ever see a German HK 5.56 variant because there is no current HK 5.56 rollerlock unlike the 9mm.

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I would love to find a decently priced C93 or V53 pistol. I know they are clones and I know Century and their history. That said if I could just find a decent one I wouldnt mind sending it out for a tune up....Sooooo if HK has their ears on I hope they pick up what I am putting down!! I am sure feasibility and it being niche will trump my desires and I will have to continue my hunt.
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS 0311/8152 - TX AIR GUARD SECURITY FORCES CATM
    Hidden Content

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I never got the impression that 5.56 roller locks were that sought after, in the grand scheme of things. HK93s are desirable for hard-core HK collectors, as it was never imported in the same numbers that the 7.62 variants were. But HK collectors wouldn't particularly want a clone. The 5.56 was never adopted as a major military rifle the way the G3 was, so there isn't a demand for a 5.56 roller lock among the military-style collectors.

As shooters, I'm not sure why someone would want a 5.56 roller lock when 5.56 AR15 variants are everywhere, for very reasonable prices. Especially given that the cost of shooting and setting up a roller-lock 5.56 will be quite a bit more expensive than an AR15 in terms of optics mounting costs, magazine costs, etc.

I had a 93 for quite some time. I rarely shot it. It was OK - but my G36 and HK416 were far more pleasurable to shoot, equip, and carry. I could never get clone magazines to work in the 93 right, and original German mags are pricey and rare.
    I had an opportunity to sell it at quite a bit of profit over what I had into it, so I chose to take the $$$ and put it into more mags & ammo for the 5.56s that I do shoot.
    MSOGDAWG likes this.
    Own: HK91, SR9, PSG1 clone, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5 inbound

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad4065 View Post
    Well yah know....Hk just came out with the SP5. Maybe, hopefully they'll have an SP93, SP91 and pray to God a PSG5
    That would be great!!! A PSG5!! I go into debt for that!!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I’ll be honest, I never had much love for the 5.56 HK 93. Back in the 80’s, I had a preban 91,93, and 94. The only one that I sold off when I needed money was the 93. The 91 I kept because it’s a classic battle rifle seen all over the world for decades. The 94 was from the famous MP5, nuff’ said. The 93 didn’t get much love because, frankly, there were better 5.56 rifles at the time. The 93 is heavy, has no last round BHO, doesn’t have good ergonomics, and not a lot of options for customization or accessories (at least not for many years). It’s very much an old school battle rifle. I eventually got a replacement just for the collection, but it’s one of my least favorite HKs. Maybe better if you have a sear, but for just throwing 5.56 down range, I have many other 5.56 guns that I enjoy a lot more than the 93.
    MSOGDAWG likes this.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post

As shooters, I'm not sure why someone would want a 5.56 roller lock when 5.56 AR15 variants are everywhere, for very reasonable prices. Especially given that the cost of shooting and setting up a roller-lock 5.56 will be quite a bit more expensive than an AR15 in terms of optics mounting costs, magazine costs, etc.
    My reasoning (this is mine alone I speak for no others) is that I am wore out with ARs....dont get me wrong, I have a "few" of them and yes I am enamored with the 416 builds as of late. I too have a G36 that I love, I just see it as another option. Dont tar and feather me here but I guess I liken it to me having a SIG MPX, or my CZ Scorpion EVO as well as some MP5s, I know, I know apples to oranges in many or most aspects but not as far as a 9mm PDW in general. Each have attributes that I like so applying that rational develops my thoughts for my desire for a 5.56 shorty. That and the fact I have a full size already.
    Last edited by MSOGDAWG; 12-03-2019 at 03:48 PM.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

HK is too deep in the 416 (and all the variants) to ever re-tool for a 93/33 pattern gun. They are likewise getting deeper into the 417 pattern guns. And their light and medium machine guns are no longer based on the 21 (roller lock) operating system. All of this spells no HK OEM roller guns, with the exception of the 9mm MP5/SP5 guns, which still surprises me. That said, I will likely get an SP5 at some point, to keep my SP5K and HK94 company......

to the OP, I really liked the 33's we had, great reliable, battle tank of a rifle, but that said; the AR pattern rifles currently available (416 for me, as well as others) are lighter and offer more user level mod's and optics. I suspect that is why you don't see a ton of clone 93/33's. that and the roller guns are more labor/cost intensive to make correctly.
    MSOGDAWG likes this.
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c