PTR 9CT with SB brace, brace fitment issues and question on hand guard

Thread: PTR 9CT with SB brace, brace fitment issues and question on hand guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR 9CT with SB brace, brace fitment issues and question on hand guard

New to the MP5 platform, have been shooting anything that goes bang for decades. I have not yet taken the PTR to the range, maybe this weekend. I have a POF A2 stock that I bought for testing and possible use on a Walther 22. Man it fits the PTR perfectly. Tempting to go Form 1. However, I really like the SB brace that Atlantic included with the PTR. But that SB brace is putting up a fight. In fact, I'd say that even before hitting the range, there's nothing easy about the PTR and I'm really hoping that all changes once I get it setup and get shooting.

Because there was no way to get the brace on, I decided to drill out the holes in the brace a bit. The front of the brace was hitting the receiver and the pushpin holes were not lining up - actually dug a bit into the plastic of the PTR, which I'm not thrilled about and I didn't install it with a hammer! I drilled the holes out a bit and it was close, but still not enough, and already looking cheesy. With a heavy heart, I relieved the arches of the front of the brace with a Dremel just enough so they would allow the brace to come forward to line up the holes - resulting in more bare metal of course. It fits, but the holes look terrible. In hindsight, I might have relieved those arches prior to widening the holes, but I hated to expose that metal. Now I have what look like elongated holes and metal showing on the front of the brace. Not what I was hoping for, even at this price range. We're not in HK land $$$ here, but it's not an off the shelf AR either. Mind you, I approached this project with a total tool mindset, not looking for a show piece.

I have read that SB had some fitting issues, with bolts not operating properly to chamber rounds and SB making good by replacing the brace. Perhaps I should have tracked them down first, but I'm not getting any younger and have a garage full of tools, so I don't have to wait on folks. I've reached out to Atlantic to see what my options are with SB, etc. Honestly, even if they deep discount another brace, I'll buy that if they can tell me it will require less fitting. Even if a qualified smith, with a better press can do a quality job, it's still a lot of fitting for what should really just slide on.

But I'll ask you all, is there another brace that will surely not need the fitting? It's hard to imagine that this is a PTR issue. That A2 stock was snug, but the clearance and fit were excellent.

As far as a hand guard, I bought the MP5 guard from Atlantic as well and used an auto battery tool to spread it just enough to pop it on. I have to say, I like the PTR hand guard a lot, but after owning it only a day, it's already carrying my DNA. It doesn't actually cut my hand, but does shave dead skin off it and I don't typically sleep with tactical gloves... Man, just finish those edges off a bit and it'd be good to go. If I decide I want to hang a light, I'll revisit that hand guard. I thought I'd be wowed by the MP5 hand guard and get my John McLane on and while I do like, I'm already thinking the PTR has more options and looks good to me as well.

Can anyone tell me where to get the bolt and nut for the hand guard? I can probably hit the hardware store, but would prefer to get the proper set if one exists.

If you're still awake, thanks for reading.
    "Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    New to the MP5 platform, have been shooting anything that goes bang for decades. I have not yet taken the PTR to the range, maybe this weekend. I have a POF A2 stock that I bought for testing and possible use on a Walther 22. Man it fits the PTR perfectly. Tempting to go Form 1. However, I really like the SB brace that Atlantic included with the PTR. But that SB brace is putting up a fight. In fact, I'd say that even before hitting the range, there's nothing easy about the PTR and I'm really hoping that all changes once I get it setup and get shooting.

Because there was no way to get the brace on, I decided to drill out the holes in the brace a bit. The front of the brace was hitting the receiver and the pushpin holes were not lining up - actually dug a bit into the plastic of the PTR, which I'm not thrilled about and I didn't install it with a hammer! I drilled the holes out a bit and it was close, but still not enough, and already looking cheesy. With a heavy heart, I relieved the arches of the front of the brace with a Dremel just enough so they would allow the brace to come forward to line up the holes - resulting in more bare metal of course. It fits, but the holes look terrible. In hindsight, I might have relieved those arches prior to widening the holes, but I hated to expose that metal. Now I have what look like elongated holes and metal showing on the front of the brace. Not what I was hoping for, even at this price range. We're not in HK land $$$ here, but it's not an off the shelf AR either. Mind you, I approached this project with a total tool mindset, not looking for a show piece.

I have read that SB had some fitting issues, with bolts not operating properly to chamber rounds and SB making good by replacing the brace. Perhaps I should have tracked them down first, but I'm not getting any younger and have a garage full of tools, so I don't have to wait on folks. I've reached out to Atlantic to see what my options are with SB, etc. Honestly, even if they deep discount another brace, I'll buy that if they can tell me it will require less fitting. Even if a qualified smith, with a better press can do a quality job, it's still a lot of fitting for what should really just slide on.

But I'll ask you all, is there another brace that will surely not need the fitting? It's hard to imagine that this is a PTR issue. That A2 stock was snug, but the clearance and fit were excellent.

As far as a hand guard, I bought the MP5 guard from Atlantic as well and used an auto battery tool to spread it just enough to pop it on. I have to say, I like the PTR hand guard a lot, but after owning it only a day, it's already carrying my DNA. It doesn't actually cut my hand, but does shave dead skin off it and I don't typically sleep with tactical gloves... Man, just finish those edges off a bit and it'd be good to go. If I decide I want to hang a light, I'll revisit that hand guard. I thought I'd be wowed by the MP5 hand guard and get my John McLane on and while I do like, I'm already thinking the PTR has more options and looks good to me as well.

Can anyone tell me where to get the bolt and nut for the hand guard? I can probably hit the hardware store, but would prefer to get the proper set if one exists.

If you're still awake, thanks for reading.
    Check this out. Fits like a glove. If you leave it on then it's an SBR
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1573180

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks. Looking to avoid the SBR issue. I actually have a stock similar to that on my Walther MP5 and would prefer either an A2, or this SB.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    In fact, I'd say that even before hitting the range, there's nothing easy about the PTR and I'm really hoping that all changes once I get it setup and get shooting.

It doesn't actually cut my hand, but does shave dead skin off it and I don't typically sleep with tactical gloves... Man, just finish those edges off a bit and it'd be good to go. .
    the sb braces are hit/miss at the best. they do require some fitting. I would contact SB and ask for a new one.

AFA the hand-guard sand it down and repaint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWSO View Post
    the sb braces are hit/miss at the best. they do require some fitting. I would contact SB and ask for a new one.

AFA the hand-guard sand it down and repaint
    Thanks. The hand guard is GTG. I just spread it out a bit. I ordered a used HK sling pin for it, but that hand guard isn't going anywhere.

I'll see what Atlantic suggests as far as SB. I should have just put it aside, instead of drilling, but it was my birthday and I wanted to play with my new toy damn it!
    Atlantic has been great. The A3 stock they sent me had to be used. The metal was missing paint and there was no pushpin. They offered to take it back, but we worked out a coupon instead. I'm easy to get along with, as are they.

BTW, I took the PTR to the range for a quick function test today and it is a hoot!

Sponsored Links