PTR 91 100, 18 inch velocity?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PTR 91 100, 18 inch velocity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been looking online for several weeks now trying to find if anyone has posted data on velocity concerning the PTR 91, with an 18 inch barrel... I cannot seem to find any, all I'm seeing is people asking about velocity for SBRs...

I'm specifically looking for velocity data on 147 grain M80 type loads and even heavier 173-175 grain loads. I do have a chronograph, I just don't have a PTR 91 to test with and none of my friends own a PTR 91... so I cannot borrow a PTR 91... I feel shitty asking people here for their data, especially since this is my first post but it would help me out.

I guess I want to be sure the 7.62 NATO cartridge isn't loosing too much velocity with the 18 inch barrel... It would be nice to confirm I'm not getting 7.62x39 performance at 100 yards with the 7.62 NATO... I personally consider 18 inches to be carbine length... Especially since I've been collecting milsurps for about 20 years now and 90% of my rifles are 22 inches and above in bbl length. I really like the PTR 91 and HK rifle design though.

Thanks guys. I appreciate any help I can get.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 12-31-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It was designed to shoot 7.62 NATO 147gr. with that 17.7" barrel.

168gr is fine, but premium 150gr is $ better spent.

As bullet weight goes up, the inverse on unlocking occurs and 175/180gr is not advised; kabooms have been rumored.

A 'longer' locking piece is a good idea if you just have to have heavy bullets.

Conelrad
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If no one else has data, I can try and get some this weekend if you keep reminding me. Got a PTR91 18" and some ZQI 7.62 NATO. Chrono isn't fancy, just a Caldwell Ballistic Precision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IIRC the muzzle velocity of the G3 with NATO ball was around 2500fps, FAL and M14 was around 2700fps. Its been awhile though.

I'll add a little to what Conelrad stated about the rifles design. Its maximum effective range was also designed to be between 400 to 600 meters; depending on sighting system used, irons or 4 power scope. The Germans figured the trade off of barrel length to muzzle velocity was worth it given the range their soldiers would be shooting at.

G57

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    If no one else has data, I can try and get some this weekend if you keep reminding me. Got a PTR91 18" and some ZQI 7.62 NATO. Chrono isn't fancy, just a Caldwell Ballistic Precision.
    I have a bunch of the ZQI and have found it to be great in my bolt actions. If you get around to it and get some shots over the chronograph, I'd appreciate it. My chrono is a Caldwell as well. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    It was designed to shoot 7.62 NATO 147gr. with that 17.7" barrel.

168gr is fine, but premium 150gr is $ better spent.

As bullet weight goes up, the inverse on unlocking occurs and 175/180gr is not advised; kabooms have been rumored.

A 'longer' locking piece is a good idea if you just have to have heavy bullets.

Conelrad
    That's disappointing to hear about the heavier grained stuff... But I'm glad you told me. I've been shooting prvi 175 grain FMJ match and have found it to be great stuff. I do understand that the PTR isn't exactly designed to me a match grade rifle, more of a front line combat rifle... Which is how I will be treating it... Was just curious about the heavier stuff with the roller system. Thanks. I would've never know that if I didn't ask. I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    IIRC the muzzle velocity of the G3 with NATO ball was around 2500fps, FAL and M14 was around 2700fps. Its been awhile though.

I'll add a little to what Conelrad stated about the rifles design. Its maximum effective range was also designed to be between 400 to 600 meters; depending on sighting system used, irons or 4 power scope. The Germans figured the trade off of barrel length to muzzle velocity was worth it given the range their soldiers would be shooting at.

G57
    There's a guy on YouTube named buffman who does a lot of velocity testing with the M1A... Seems 7.62 surplus ammo shoots in the high 2700 range. IIRC his test with federal lake city M80 was around 2,800 fps...

I was able to find a guy on youtube who fired 3 shots through his hk91, shooting hirtenberger surplus... Came out to around 2709 fps average from his rifle... But he only did 3 shots over the chronograph... And if I remember right those HK91 barrels have polygonally rifling... So the velocity would be slightly higher over conventional rifling... Correct me if im remembering wrong about those HK barrels... From my own testing using my Glock 17 with original poly barrel compared to a aftermarket barrel, I am getting about 20 to 40 feet per second higher average with the poly barrel... With any load I test... I've tested a lot of 9mm ammo over the years... And my after market barrel is half inch longer too, threaded... for that suppressor I was going to get but never bought lol. I also gather velocity data for 303, 7.92x57, 7.62x54r, 30-06, 7.65 Mauser, 223/556... and more... My two 308 rifles have a 22inch and 24 inch barrel. Most surplus 7.62 NATO gets around 2900 fps out of my 24 inch barrel. Luckily I've recorded all my data too.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and reply to me, thank you.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Polygon HK91's are rare as hen's teeth. 99.9% were conventional, can go 50K rounds in semi-auto OK.

Conelrad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    Polygon HK91's are rare as hen's teeth. 99.9% were conventional, can go 50K rounds in semi-auto OK.

Conelrad
    Wow that's amazing.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Knowledge, keep in mind that the early G3 , the Spanish CETME was intended to fire a cartridge along the lines of the AK round. It was the USA that strong armed the rest of NATO to adopt the .308. This is also in the development history of the FAL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links