53 Build
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 53 Build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 53 Build

Well I know you guys are probably sick of people asking about 53 builds. This is a build I’ve had parts laying around for since 2009 and finally want to start putting it together.

I have already done quite a bit of research. I have access to (thanks to my dad) a TIG, 20t press, drill press and lathe.

So far what I’ve learned, and feel free to correct me if I’m misinformed:
    •Greased up barrel is pressed in to a bolt gap of .020.
    •4 flute endmill for trunnion reamed afterward(exact bit sizes I’ve heard a few numbers bounced around. I will be getting a new trunnion so I don’t have to worry about out of round hole).
    •receiver needs to be cut back 1.97” to accommodate the cocking tube.
    •gap between cocking tube and bolt carrier of ~.020. Might take some tweaking to make sure the handle cams and unlocks the bolt.
    •triple frame is soldered to the barrel and then fine tuned with laser boresight then pinned in a similar fashion as the barrel.
    •Cocking tube needs to have a spacer or bushing installed to center it inside the triple frame.
    •received and cocking tube need a copper/brass/aluminum heat sink to align and keep from burning through when welded.

So my questions(thank you in advance!)

I know this will disappoint but I am going to try and use a 33 carrier. For the life of me I can’t get the dimension of the front on a 53 carrier? I have a 53 cocking tube and cocking tube support. I would Cut and weld the end back on with the proper dimension.

Is the cocking tube support able to have the pin punched out once the tube is welded in? Or will the barrel interfere?

For a new trunnion/barrel and a 5mm pin, what size endmill and reamer do you guys recommend?

I will leave it at that for now. Have to plug my phone in to charge.

Any help you guys can offer would be so appreciated! I want to do this build in as quality of a way I can ( I will eventually buy a 53 carrier when funds allow).

I’ve attached some pics, hopefully they come through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 53 Build-7bf0dc10-57ea-4cbd-812c-7d0d67e7ab1a_1578201682316.jpeg   53 Build-149f9808-60e1-46ed-b5df-d5f44fc0bbc6_1578203551232.jpeg   53 Build-4a4fba55-08c4-4ec0-91f5-8c0e80f76515_1578203576510.jpeg   53 Build-e73751f1-ba28-46fd-aa0a-9e5b3c735fe1_1578203598117.jpeg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

struckzb,

This is a good site for information on HK firearms but not a great site for information on how to build them.

For build information head over to Weaponsguild.com
    Look in "The Builders Bench", and you will see a "CETME/HK" heading. Click on that and you will find a wealth of
    information on HK builds of all types.

Once you complete your build please post a range report and some before, during and after pictures.

I'll wish you good skill on your build as luck has nothing to do with it.

G57

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)

You can contact several of the builders here!!!

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green57 View Post
    struckzb,

This is a good site for information on HK firearms but not a great site for information on how to build them.

For build information head over to Weaponsguild.com
    Look in "The Builders Bench", and you will see a "CETME/HK" heading. Click on that and you will find a wealth of
    information on HK builds of all types.

Once you complete your build please post a range report and some before, during and after pictures.

I'll wish you good skill on your build as luck has nothing to do with it.

G57
    Thanks I registered and have been looking off and on today.

I think I figure out how much I have to cut off the receiver for the cocking tube support. A nice member sent me a pic showing his 53 bolt carrier is 3.365” so I should be able to turn down and cut out the extra and TIG the end back onto the receiver.

Does anyone know if the SB HKPDW brace will work with a buffered carrier?
    Last edited by struckzb; 01-05-2020 at 11:32 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The receiver is cut back approx. 1.8. Very close to exactly 1.8". There's a chamfer on the cocking tube that should be just about flush with the front edge of the rest of the receiver. 1.97" is too much. I have a loose HK53 cocking tube. I have a receiver already cut ready to be welded back up... somewhere. Ah, I love it when I realize I'm not sure where a $3,000 piece of sheet metal is.
    Hidden Content

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey struckzb, good too see someone else is embarking on this trip along with me. I have a thread on my build on here too. subbing to yours. here is mine. https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone...3-project.html Let me know if you run into anything. I am going a different route and am going to cut the cocking tube instead of the bolt end, well that is the plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDave View Post
    The receiver is cut back approx. 1.8. Very close to exactly 1.8". There's a chamfer on the cocking tube that should be just about flush with the front edge of the rest of the receiver. 1.97" is too much. I have a loose HK53 cocking tube. I have a receiver already cut ready to be welded back up... somewhere. Ah, I love it when I realize I'm not sure where a $3,000 piece of sheet metal is.

Thanks Aviator Dave! That’s a measurement I’ve been trying to nail down for awhile. I figured I’d cut it a bit less and then fine tune it until the gap is in spec. I got some more parts from HKParts and RCM this week:

New trunnion
    53 cocking tube and support
    Cocking tube end cap
    Cocking handle spring
    Paddle mag bushing
    Hanger clip
    RCM.300 blk barrel/ locking piece
    Hk mag
    8mm rollers
    Along with some other stuff.

I’m less and less enthused about using parts from the Malaysian 33 kit. The triple frame is pretty beat and won’t do. The cocking tube and support aren’t going to work so already got 53 sized ones. I kind of want to do this right and not use used parts.

Gonna see about pressing the barrel this weekend. Or at least get the parts in front of the press and see just how I’m going to line things up. Might have to buy some steel plate and cut some holes for the barrel to slip through. I have a lot on my list and don’t know where to start. Getting barrel pressed and bolt gap set seems like a decent place to start. I took the trigger pack apart and put a semi hammer in and took out the autosear. With photobucket being down it’s hard to not see a lot of the attachments and pics on some of these build threads...

Then I just have to get 3/16 end mill, .194 chucking reamer, figure out a way to hold all these while drilling and pressing pin. Weld trunnion into receiver, cut receiver for cocking tube. Cut and weld bolt carrier to 53 specs. Gap cocking tube support. Wow, it’s a long list and that’s not even half of it!

Anyway thanks for the help so far guys. Let me know if you’d like to be updated as the build progresses.

ETA: Oh and I need to source a SureFire m63 rail. It’s what I had on my V53 I sold years ago (regret!) and I loved it. I know they were discontinued but I hope I can still find one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 53 Build-750757c1-1316-465c-8ab2-4c68cc35c81e_1578632558029.jpeg  
    Last edited by struckzb; 01-10-2020 at 05:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, got it pressed. Shooting for .020” looks more like I got it to .010”... just one “pop” too many. I had a feeling I went a little too far. Gonna have to press it through and give it another shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 53 Build-a037bfa7-c678-442c-abba-c15b1d1f1501_1578786526601.jpeg   53 Build-d1096193-f81c-4344-b46b-dd7f125e8cbb_1578786575022.jpeg   53 Build-fcd99b62-7264-4f99-a484-e28f72500238_1578786628958.jpeg   53 Build-2e9bca7a-6366-48c9-9074-8bc8eee0188f_1578786667224.jpeg   53 Build-83ec274a-5ea4-495f-ae7a-eb6b19737893_1578786746927.jpeg  

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Hmm.. a bit too late. I was going to suggest a Russian 5.45x39 build. I have 3 barrels made up that only need fluting.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So with a new trunnion and barrel:
    I should use 3/16” carbide endmill and then chucking reamer size .195”. Is this correct? I have heard so many different sizes suggested.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links