"UMP" loose barrel - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: "UMP" loose barrel

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

What kind of pin is it exactly, toothed, split, quick detatch?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Is it an MP5 push pin, or the proper UMP barrel pin? It shouldn't have lateral movement even without a pin at all, but others have said swapping from the wrong pin to the correct pin improved barrel fitment.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Unless you shot it so rapidly that the receiver melted, that definitely shouldn't happen. And with 200 rounds, doesn't seem like that would be enough to get it hot enough to melt the receiver. You either have an oversized trunnion, or an undersized barrel stub. As earlier posts have stated, even IF the barrel pin was left out, there shouldn't be enough clearance for it to have radial play. Removing German HK UMP barrels usually takes very light taps from a block of wood and hammer, it's a very precise fit. Perhaps when it was new the extra clearance was there, but when the pin was first pressed in it held it tightly enough to mask the problem.

It could be as easy as exchanging the barrel. I don't know what size Omega bores out their trunnion, and I don't have a way of measuring the bore of it here at home, but I measured a German HK USC barrel I have loose, and it measures 0.86600" on my Mitutoyo digital mic.
    Last edited by AviatorDave; 01-09-2020 at 05:53 AM.
    Hidden Content

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I dont know what the correct pin for this application is.

The range I go to (Quail Creek) is fairly strict about "No Rapid Fire". They have signs posted about two seconds between shots and Ive seen them enforce it.

I literally count in my head "BANG one two"

I'm going to email Omega today, get a return started, and go buy another cardboard box.
    Last edited by Dinsdale Piranha; 01-09-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    Mrs. Peel, we're needed.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The correct pin, at least on the HK UMP, is a roll pin. Some people replace with a push pin so that the barrel can easily be removed.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

I believe the correct pin is a “wave type spring pin.” Roll pins as a generic name can be a nightmare to track/identify. The wave type are designed to increase friction and not walk. They also go by such affectionate names such as alligator pins and toothed pins.

I’m having a hard time imagining the trunion is actually loose given how they are injection molded. The most likely culprit is the barrel groove and/or pin are not to specifications.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This one clearly has a push pin in it. I've never removed the barrel from it. I would try if I could figure out how to get what I assume is the ejector out of the way. At this point I couldn't be bothered with it enough to get on Youtube and look for a video.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Lol - ok, so you weren’t actually interested in solving your problem, you just wanted to complain? Your pin is the problem, albeit there is still the chance the barrel groove is out of spec. Take out the pushpin, slide the barrel back a couple inches. Slide the ejector back until it come free. Then remove the barrel the rest of the way. Then you can see if the trunion wiggles at all. If it doesn’t then reverse the actions but install the correct pin.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    Lol - ok, so you weren’t actually interested in solving your problem, you just wanted to complain? Your pin is the problem, albeit there is still the chance the barrel groove is out of spec. Take out the pushpin, slide the barrel back a couple inches. Slide the ejector back until it come free. Then remove the barrel the rest of the way. Then you can see if the trunion wiggles at all. If it doesn’t then reverse the actions but install the correct pin.
    time for you to roll out the IG image I tagged you with homie
    Last edited by flybynt; 01-09-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The push pin may or may not be the problem. My USC was modified with a pushpin, and my barrel is tight. It just depends on whether it’s all in spec, including the barrel groove.
    Last edited by dwillHK; 01-09-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links