Question(s) for Muzzle brakes on a PTR 91
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question(s) for Muzzle brakes on a PTR 91

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question(s) for Muzzle brakes on a PTR 91

I'm thinking about getting a muzzle brake to help reduce recoil and muzzle rise on the PTR 91. I was thinking of getting a Precision Armament M4-72 and a cheaper SureFire PROCOMP 762. Does anyone have experience with either these? Also with regards to installing them, regular peel washers would work? I see that they won't be coming with them(the brakes), and for the m4-72 you have to align it a certain way, recommended by the accu smart washers. Anyone use those before? I'd rather not spend the $24 for them if I go the m4-72 route.
    Last edited by jstores; 01-16-2020 at 03:42 AM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

A big portion of the "heavy recoil" stems from the large bolt carrier and the stock is off axis of said mass and bore. Surefire brakes have not given me much tangible recoil reduction in the past others will not they pale in comparison to other models/designs. The Surefire design doesn't offer much surface area.
    With that, one may question if any marginal reduction is going to be worth the price of admission (and possibly frustration of installation) and the additional concussion (and gas and debris depending on position) kicked back at the shooter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    A big portion of the "heavy recoil" stems from the large bolt carrier and the stock is off axis of said mass and bore. Surefire brakes have not given me much tangible recoil reduction in the past others will not they pale in comparison to other models/designs. The Surefire design doesn't offer much surface area.
    With that, one may question if any marginal reduction is going to be worth the price of admission (and possibly frustration of installation) and the additional concussion (and gas and debris depending on position) kicked back at the shooter.
    Would a greater reduction in recoil be found in installing an "enhanced" heavy buffer?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jstores View Post
    Would a greater reduction in recoil be found in installing an "enhanced" heavy buffer?
    The 2-stage or MSG90 buffers work well. I had one with a modified 21E recoil system and it felt like a .223.

At the very least you don't have the concussion/blast penalty of some brake designs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jstores View Post
    The 2-stage or MSG90 buffers work well. I had one with a modified 21E recoil system and it felt like a .223.

At the very least you don't have the concussion/blast penalty of some brake designs.
    How is the msg90 different from the DMR one? The msg90 is double the price of the DMR on hk parts

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've gone with the PCS heavy buffer and a vortex FS setup. A brake may reduce recoil (?) but I prefer flash suppression any day
    Yes Virginia, there are ancient conspiracies in high places

German guns, German girls, German cars, German beer and German dogs.. what's not to like?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I went with the heavy duty buffer and 21E buttpad. Yes, it makes the length of pull a little longer but completely changed the recoil characteristics of the PTR91 without having to change the muzzle device.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Brakes are not range friendly for the shooters in the neighboring benches who get your muzzle blast. I use sponge plugs and ear muffs. My ears are still ringing from a guy next to me this afternoon.

Try just replacing the pad first before the buffer and see if that does it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I installed a lot of PWS PRC comps on .308 FNARs when I worked for a local rifle builder.
    People really seemed to like them... I've always liked PWS, so I put one on my ptr91. It tamed the recoil some without being obnoxious.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Have used a lot of the PWS Over the years One of the best recoil reductions in brakes
    Ghilliebear
    Us Army (Ret) INFANTRY.
    I AM MY COUNTRY'S STRENGTH
    IN WAR!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

918-696-8715
    918-781-3939
    Class 2 SOT
    ITAR M37434

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links