Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By barrington
  • 1 Post By ghilliebear2000

Thread: Aftermarket extended buffer.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Aftermarket extended buffer.

I put an aftermarket extended stock buffer in my PTR after a while I noticed my trigger grip assembly was getting loose. The two round cut outs that rest against the first pin in the stock were be coming a little elongated. So I put mine back to spec. I decided to cut open that long buffer to see what was inside. I found one normal spring with the brake rings and one additional spring the same length. I think what was happening was a lot of energy was being stored in the unbraked spring. When the braked spring stopped the carrier and bolt the extra spring was free to shoot the bolt and carrier forward with extra force causing hammering on the grip assembly.

This might no be the case in a real g3 where the grip assembly is secured wit three pins.
    NEWtoHK likes this.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Most likely this would not cause your issue with a grip assembling since the bolt Carrier never leaves the hammer meaning when the bolt Carrier is to the rear the hammer is compressed .Even if the Carrier moved forward at a Speeded up Rate It's still would not force the lower assembly back-and-forth. Unless your Carrier was dragging on the hammer assembly. If you removed the stock from the gun and work the Carrier while looking at the Carrier assembly you will see that the Carrier cannot move far enough back to allow the hammer to protrude upward to be caught on because the hammer is compressed at all times by the Carrier during recoil and Forward motion. Hard to say what may be causing you to have back and forward motion in your trigger group. I would check the gap between your trigger group and your rear stock plate if the stock plate is an up against the Trigger Group this would allow back-and-forth movement. Hope this helps.

Also if the weapon is recoiling too hard and striking the Hammer And Ejector at a harder impact this could be driving the pack Down and back this would a long gate the holes because of pressure Forcing it back and possibly cause a loose trigger pack since the Carrier only strikes the hammer from one direction being forward to the rear. I would check the boltgap on the weapon Is extremely low this causes greater recoil. But also you would start to see roller dents In the rear portion of the receiver also.

The biggest factory is if your Carrier in forward motion is striking your hammer you would have a major problem it will literally destroy the gun.
    Last edited by ghilliebear2000; 01-18-2020 at 02:23 AM.
    Ghilliebear
    Us Army (Ret) INFANTRY.
    I AM MY COUNTRY'S STRENGTH
    IN WAR!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

918-696-8715
    918-781-3939
    Class 2 SOT
    ITAR M37434

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for responding GB. I don’t think the carrier was hitting the hammer either. But I think it’s going to battery with more force because of the extra spring. The only thing opposing reactions to that force is your left hand on the fore stock and you’re right on the grip. Depending on how tightly you hold the grip half or more of the force is applied thru the pin into the grip housing. After you fire significant amounts of ammo the thin sheet metal bearing surface begins to deform. See picture. I tightened mine up by jb welding in a piece of rubber below the ledge. It’s rock solid now for about 1500 rounds second picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket extended buffer.-2ed73f34-722e-4bcc-b6bd-19d81b3d5c86.jpeg   Aftermarket extended buffer.-769dedf9-886e-4406-9ec1-e8eaa765a808.jpeg  

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I would more say that you're probably getting harder recoil meaning the Carrier is coming back to hard causing the impact with the hammer in the ejector That is the only area that the Carrier would strike from front to rear hard to say without looking at the gun. I do know if the speed of recoil Was sped up you would see Problems with feeding And ejection. Due to the Carrier Out running the magazine and the Ejection of the round. I noticed in the picture that your shelf inside the trigger pack is it setting very flush at the bottom it's hard to say with all the different shelf hides out there. Also with that type of lower the back part of the lower should fit flush with the rear of the receiver if there is gap that allows movement back-and-forth the pins were never really designed to keep the lower from moving even on a brand new G3 lower the pin holes are bigger than the pins not very much but slightly bigger the rear portion of the lower Set against the back of the stock plate this keeps the back-and-forth movement down quite a bit. Hope you find out what's going on Sorry I can't be of more help over the Internet.

Something may help I am posting 2 pictures on how the trigger pack should set .I would strongly think that may be the shelf that's welded into the front of your trigger housing is moving this would cause looseness in the pack over and over if there was not moving you would see deformation of the front of the pack.
    Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket extended buffer.-20200117_222332.jpg   Aftermarket extended buffer.-20200117_222318.jpg  
    Last edited by ghilliebear2000; 01-18-2020 at 04:34 AM.
    barrington likes this.

Sponsored Links