HK91 vs PTR91 GI - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: HK91 vs PTR91 GI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FergusandCo View Post
    Also consider the Greek manufactured Springfield Armory SAR-3 or SAR-3/8. They are a Greek license-produced semi-auto G3 made by Hellenic Arms, and are absolutely comparable. Cheaper too, if you can find one.

I bought one in 1989 and still have it. You'll be thankful later, if you go with an HK-91 or a licensed copy.
    +1

My SAR3/8

Quality fit/finish is just as good if not better than the HK91.
    FergusandCo likes this.
    HDH.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely cool. Great Old School look. I think I remember Springfield Armory initially called them G3 sporters or some such thing, and Oberndorf went through the roof. Kinda funny, actually.

I just saw this yesterday.

https://simpsonltd.com/springfield-a...-rifle-c43801/

$2195

That may be highish, but I think I'd pay that, if I lived in a free state, and didn't already have a grandfathered one.
    "Remain yourself, in spite of all the mighty do."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    The difference is that they don't manufacture the G3 anymore. The platform is no longer supported by H&K Germany and it's doubtful they even have all the tooling. The 9mm's have always been on offer and if you look at the SP5 it's even got the pushpin hole partially exposed. They are making them on the exact same line they are currently manufacturing MP5s.

And in fact no, I did not say they won't produce more 9mm H&Ks. I've always thought they could, and that the oft repeated "German export restrictions" excuse was BS. It just took 30 years to overcome their lack of interest in what is an easy product for them to produce and sell.

It's the same reason we won't be seeing HK53 pistols.
    Perhaps, but it was still funny.

And I think you are underestimating what HK could do if they decide that they want to. In any case, I would agree that it is highly unlikely. I have two factory HK91 rifles. The first one I got was barely used, and I've kept it that way. It represented my first gun from the series and the one I hold most prized. The second one was a very used one that came with a registered sear (catch) as part of the deal. I've taken it shooting several times. But yes, most people don't have the luxury of having both a "safe queen" and a shooter. Let alone the sear. Just mentioned that because it was a packaged deal.

If I were only going to buy only one rifle, it would be the HK hands down. If I could have only one, I'd definitely want it to be the real deal. And I'd take the time to save the money up to get it if that's what it took. I have a lot of clones, but I really like the true HKs in a way that the others can't match up to.
    "Sometimes change sucks."- Anne Frank

Reloading: A low impact exercise with a high impact payoff.

Take your wife or GF to the range more. If you want her to get the bug, you've got to expose her to the disease.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Have had my PTR GI for almost three years never had a failure to fire or failure to eject. More than 3000 rounds thru it and the bolt gap is still well in specs. These were the problems I had.
    1. Flash hider came loose. A little red locktite fixed that.
    2. Cocking handle pin cracked. A couple of bucks to fix although getting the spring in is a btch.
    3. My trigger group started to loosen up. Repaired with a bit of rubber and some JB.
    I think for less than $1K it is a great weapon. Collect an original HK but buy a PTR as your fun shooter.

As a shooting group we are pretty lucky that PTR is in business and we should support them. If they were not around. You wouldn’t be able to find an HK less than $3K and probably wouldn’t want to use it a Saturday fun gun like you can a PTR.

These 8 shots were in a 3” 10 ring at 100 yards without a scope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HK91 vs PTR91 GI-480ca5a0-743a-4b78-9b4f-464683588d30.jpeg  
    Last edited by barrington; 02-01-2020 at 02:22 AM.
    FergusandCo likes this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    Have had my PTR GI for almost three years never had a failure to fire or failure to eject. More than 3000 rounds thru it and the bolt gap is still well in specs. These were the problems I had.
    1. Flash hider came loose. A little red locktite fixed that.
    2. Cocking handle pin cracked. A couple of bucks to fix although getting the spring in is a btch.
    3. My trigger group started to loosen up. Repaired with a bit of rubber and some JB.
    I think for less than $1K it is a great weapon. Collect an original HK but buy a PTR as your fun shooter.

As a shooting group we are pretty lucky that PTR is in business and we should support them. If they were not around. You wouldn’t be able to find an HK less than $3K and probably wouldn’t want to use it a Saturday fun gun like you can a PTR.

These 8 shots were in a 3” 10 ring at 100 yards without a scope.
    +1

I agree, if shooting is all one cares about the PTR91 is a great option. I own two of them with 1000's of rounds down the barrel, not one problem.

Last edited by hansellhd2; 02-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    FergusandCo likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also consider the Greek manufactured Springfield Armory SAR-3 or SAR-3/8. They are a Greek license-produced semi-auto G3 made by Hellenic Arms, and are absolutely comparable. Cheaper too, if you can find one.

I bought one in 1989 and still have it. You'll be thankful later, if you go with an HK-91 or a licensed copy.
    Just stay away from the ones with the cast aluminum receiver with the bedliner finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but HK 91 for sure. Worth the extra penny.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yup. Those were a different animal. Shame they even used the same nomenclature.

I believe I read that those were so bad, Springfield Armory was at one point just exchanging them for new rifles of a different model, rather than trying to fix them.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yup. Those were a different animal. Shame they even used the same nomenclature.

I believe I read that those were so bad, Springfield Armory was at one point just exchanging them for new rifles of a different model, rather than trying to fix them.
    Hard to say. They wouldn't give me a new one in exchange. They have the policy that they will only exchange or compensate you if you wear them out to the point that the trunion gets loose, or the barrel, or whatever.

The problem is that you have to potentially put thousands of rounds through them to get them to that point. I did the math about 10 years ago, after I talked to them about it, and figured out that I'd have to spend a few thousand dollars on ammo and shoot the gun a lot more than I wanted to just to get it to the point that I could turn it in for a replacement. So it sits in the safe, next to two actual HK91s and the Federal ammo chambered PTR 91. And since one of those HK91s is a safe queen, there's three guns there that almost never get shot.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    Perhaps, but it was still funny.

And I think you are underestimating what HK could do if they decide that they want to. In any case, I would agree that it is highly unlikely.
    H&K certainly could decide to do so. But we are talking about the company that sat on their hands for years while others made millions on the braced pistol craze. The product didn't take anything beyond paperwork to develop. They still don't sell versions of currently produced firearms that the civilian market is clamoring for. 7.62 guns would require real work and investment. And frankly the 7.62 roller locks just aren’t anywhere near as good or as in demand as the 9mm guns. They are so far down the totem poll that I feel very comfortable saying it's a near impossibility.

And I'm somebody who refused to buy a 94 for the past few years because I believed a semi auto MP5 from Oberndorf was inevitable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links